1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the real alternator please standup

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 04:57 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
Will the real alternator please standup

So I need an alternator for my 2010 f-450 6.4l

open the hood and what do I see....a dual alternator bracket with an alternator installed in secondary position.

so, If I order a replacement will I get a secondary or prinary,they are not the same.

is it supposed to be a primary for a one alternator setup or a secondary

if I install the primary, will the cables on the secondary reach

if I buy both and run dual, do I need a cable kit or is it hiding somewhere

thoughts

https://www.fordpartsboss.com/a/Ford__/__6471312/DUAL-ALTERNATORS-ELECTRICAL/ME08255.html

Old 09-19-2018, 09:41 PM
skanj0
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Assuming the 6.4s utilize dual alts the same way the 6.0s do, then according to Ford the computer randomly selects which alt to use. In practice I found this not to be the case. I ran for a while with just the upper alt and the truck charged fine. I then wired the two alts seperately so the secondary (lower) one only went to a 100a charge circuit to my Lance camper. The upper (primary) alt ran the truck loads.

The two alts are different and are not interchangeable. The mounting is different as well. OEM alts are good. Avoid auto part store ‘lifetime’ alts, as you will spend your lifetime exchanging it for a new one. DC Power alts are nice, but are likely overkill unless you have a high charging demand.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:43 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
So location of secondary is under pax battery in the wheel well area

the primary mounts 45 degrees above that in a position visible from top.

yes they have different mounting holes and are not interchangeable.

dont know if I can just install the 200 amp prinary or am I stuck with the 120 amp secondary

dont gave enough info on the wiring and as was mentioned if there are pcm manipulations needed.

Also don’t know if there are belt differences

what is also funny is that the part number for the secondary comes back as no longer avail.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:06 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
My lower alternator is the same as the upper, just clocked differently.

I got my alternators from here: https://alternatorparts.com/

I talked with him on the phone several times before purchasing. You might want to give him a call and see if he can offer any advice.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:08 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Decided to go with autozone parts for ease of returns and warranty.

kept the single in secondary position model

options at autozone was a 120 or 140 amp unit for that position. Bought the 150 amp.

removal was easy

install a little harder since I couldn’t find the belt tension release system.

got it in anyway.

started at 9:30 done at 12:00

inclusive of new alternator be batteries pick up and return of cores.

old alternator was shot pet my meter and batteries did not pass load test.

moral of the story is you either replace your batteries on time when they don’t pass load test or you will wind up replacing alternator as the alternator frys to try to keep weak batteries charged.

i dead to replace batteries every two years and never had to replace alternators even if a half dozen vehicles I had for over 10 years.

truck starts better than ever so I may have been running weak batteries from the start of my used truck ownership.

time for a beer.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:23 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Originally Posted by brian42
My lower alternator is the same as the upper, just clocked differently.

I got my alternators from here: https://alternatorparts.com/

I talked with him on the phone several times before purchasing. You might want to give him a call and see if he can offer any advice.
thanks for the link just saw it.

my alternator positions use two different mounting hole patterns and part numbers are different.

Will definitely call to see if they can help me figure out how to get to two alternators.

Thanks

Old 09-20-2018, 11:30 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
Will definitely call to see if they can help me figure out how to get to two alternators.
Nice guy and he's been doing this for a long time. Gave me the answers to the questions I asked and the ones he knew I should be asking.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:54 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Ford single alternator to dual alternator conversion

Single alternator to dual alternator conversion
so been researching how to convert from single to dual alternator

so due to the nature of the gen mon and gen com signals its true that the pcm can only monitor 1 generator.

but it turns out that if you unplug the pcm plug from the alternator the alternator behavior changes from smart to dumb. In dumb mode it puts out a constant 13.75 volts. In smart mode it varies the output from 13.75 to 14.5 depending on the signal from the pcm.

so this means you can install the second alternator in dumb mode by not connecting a pcm control wire harness.

so now to test this. Need the new belt and a second alternator .

Old 10-01-2018, 09:08 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
Need the new belt and a second alternator .
Make sure the lower alternator is clocked correctly. They are the same alternator but the lower one is clocked differently.

FYI you will also need an additional idler pulley:

I think this is a picture from an IDI OBS truck but it's the same routing as ours (gotta love Google Images).

Budget some time for this. It takes 10 minutes to swap the upper alternator but a lot longer for the lower. Remove the passenger's side fender liner to gain access to the area. It is very difficult to work from the bottom and when I upgraded to the larger 6G case through the side was the only way to go.

There are some drawbacks to this setup besides the obvious labor time and cost. The only way to pull your EBP tube is to remove the lower alternator bracket. While this may not seem overly difficult it is cumbersome and those who have to do this will understand what I'm talking about. Also, CPS replacement becomes a little more confined and tedious...especially if you're doing this on a hot engine while you're on the side of the road.

On the plus side I'm running twin 140A alternators so I'm not at a loss for juice, even at idle.

Just my .02

Old 10-01-2018, 09:37 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
so on a 6.4 the lower position is the secondary and the upper the primary. 2 different part numbers due to bolt hole locations I suspect.

I already change the lower one due to failure.

what started this investigation was that I only had a secondary and no primary.

I did not know if a single lower secondary was the default.

I did not know if the single upper primary was the defailt.

I have the dual bracket but dont know what else is needed in terms of pulleys ...I suspect just a bigger belt.

I did not know if there was a y connector set connecting both alternators to the PCM. And it was suggested that the PCM can only control 1 alternator.

so it turns out that the 6.4 has whats called a SMART charging system controlled by the PCM if the alternator is connected to the PCM.

If the alternators are not connected to the PCM, they become dumb.

dumb means that they always put out 13.75 volts.

SMART means that the alternator puts up 13.75 thru 14.5 volts depending on instructions from PCM (which has a lot to do with air temps).

so now the riddle is...assuming only one gets connected to the PCM...if you have two..which one should get connected?

maybe time for a coin toss.