Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Help Diagnosing '94 F150 5.0 E4OD

Old 09-19-2018, 12:55 PM
Panthers65
New User
Panthers65 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help Diagnosing '94 F150 5.0 E4OD

Hello everybody, I'm hoping someone can confirm/give assistance to my aging F150. This was my fathers truck and I'd like to get it back into good running condition as a gift.

Symptoms:
1. Transmission is really delayed when shifting. I have to get around 3K RPM to go from 1st to 2nd, and just shy of 4K RPM to go from 2nd to 3rd. Driving slowly (around 35MPH) the truck is running around 2,000. Truck also shifts pretty hard when it finally does shift
2. This just started today when I was diagnosing, but I'm having trouble getting it to start. Never had this issue before, but now I have to turn the key over, and then put the peddle to the floor once to get it to start

Checked the Trans level- seems a little full when hot, but not bad

Pulled the following codes:
KOEO:
121- Closed Throttle Voltage Higher/Lower than expected

KOER:
412- Can't control RPM During KOER High RPM Check
121- Closed Throttle Voltage Higher/Lower than expected
411- Can't control RPM During KOER Low RPM Check
538- Insufficient RPM Change during KOER Dynamic Response Test OR (truck only) invalid cylinder balance test due to throttle movement during test (I didn't touch the throttle during the test)
536- Brake on/off circuit not activated during KOER
632- Overdrive Transmission Cancel switch no action during self engine run test.

Only code i see even relating to the drive is 632, but I don't know if that tells me anything about an actual issue, just that the test wasn't run. I did pull the VSS out off the diff and clean it, but it looked pretty dang good in the first place. I'm going to try and get a drain plug kit and install it tonight so I can drop the trans pan and see if the filter came loose. the fill it back up with the correct level of fluid. Anything else I should check for?

TPS likely the culperate for the 121 error code and the inability to control RPM codes? Would like to confirm before i pull the whole TB off.

Thanks everyone for your help. Truck was running great, rebuilt the whole front end and had it aligned, and now it's giving me problems....

Old 09-19-2018, 01:20 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Before you go any further, start the truck and unplug the IAC and see if there is a change in idle or running. It should die or stumble like it is trying to. I think the code you were concerned about is where you should have activated the OD switch during the test and didn't do it. But I'm not positive. The transmission sounds classic of a bad or failing PCM at least that's what mine did. You can pull the PCM and check it for broken or burned capacitors which would effect the E4OD since it is computer controlled. Sandy

Old 09-19-2018, 02:14 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
You have a TPS problem, all those other codes were set when the operator didn't follow procedure during the engine running test.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:22 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
OP Do what Conanski said. He has forgotten more than I will ever know. Sandy

Here are some common symptoms of a bad or failing throttle position sensor to watch for:
  • Car won't accelerate, lacks power when accelerating, or accelerates itself. ...
  • Engine won't idle smoothly, idles too slowly, or stalls. ...
  • Car accelerates, but won't exceed a relatively low speed, or shift up.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:12 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Posting Guru
My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Conanski View Post
You have a TPS problem, all those other codes were set when the operator didn't follow procedure during the engine running test.
Thats what I was also thinking. If the computer is getting bad info from the TPS it won’t know how to shift the transmission. That is what fixed the shifting issue I had on my ‘94 Bronco. Time to get out the DVOM and start testing the sensor.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:58 PM
Panthers65
New User
Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction. I went out tonight and tested the TPS, and I do believe it is faulty. Results below:

tested continunity between the black wire and the negative, the ground is good
Tested volts to the Red wire, 5V- Thats good
This is where I believe it shows a bad TPS. I tested the volts to the green wire, 4.1V and idle and 5V at full throttle. This should be around 1V and 5V, right? So basically my computer isn't shifting the transmission because it thinks I'm running almost WOT all the time?

am I reading/thinking about this right?

Old 09-20-2018, 07:25 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
X3 on the 121/TPS being your culprit.Replace and your trans should work correctly again.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:30 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Posting Guru
My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Panthers65 View Post
Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction. I went out tonight and tested the TPS, and I do believe it is faulty. Results below:

tested continunity between the black wire and the negative, the ground is good
Tested volts to the Red wire, 5V- Thats good
This is where I believe it shows a bad TPS. I tested the volts to the green wire, 4.1V and idle and 5V at full throttle. This should be around 1V and 5V, right? So basically my computer isn't shifting the transmission because it thinks I'm running almost WOT all the time?

am I reading/thinking about this right?
You are correct. The computer is not seeing the throttle close.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:41 PM
Panthers65
New User
Thanks for everyone's help, that sensor must have been going bad for a while. I thought it was shifting hard because the truck's got 270K on the clock. New $40 TPS and a gasket and it's shifting like new. It didn't die when I put it in reverse either which it's done for years.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:48 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Panthers65 View Post
Thanks for everyone's help, that sensor must have been going bad for a while. I thought it was shifting hard because the truck's got 270K on the clock. New $40 TPS and a gasket and it's shifting like new. It didn't die when I put it in reverse either which it's done for years.
Glad you got it fixed.......... Sandy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.