Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Reload this Page >

351w (5.8L) Intake install - RTV or Cork Gaskets on front and rear "China Wall"

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Old 09-17-2018, 04:48 PM
Mikulh
Senior User
Mikulh is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Mikulh is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

When re-installing the factory intake manifold on a 351w (5.8L), do y'all like to use the cork (or rubber) gaskets for the front and rear "China Wall" or do you prefer to use RTV only in these areas like Edelbrock recommends when installing their intake manifolds?

Old 09-17-2018, 05:03 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
I like the idea of the rubber gaskets but in practice I found they didn't stay put and would begin to squirt out after only a year or so. The best sealing solution I found was to glue the cork gaskets to the block with contact cement and then put RTV in the corners and across the top to seal against the intake. This lasted about a decade on the 351 I built for my 'F150.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:34 PM
GoinBoarding
Posting Guru
GoinBoarding has a good reputation on FTE.GoinBoarding has a good reputation on FTE.
I had rubber on one engine, cork on the another, both leaked oil. My recent build was RTV only, no leaks thus far (about two years). I'd do RTV again.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:56 PM
'89F2urd
Postmaster
'89F2urd has a very good reputation on FTE.'89F2urd has a very good reputation on FTE.'89F2urd has a very good reputation on FTE.
Instructions for cork gasket to work properly:

"carefully remove cork gasket from package. Place immediately in the trash can."

Old 09-17-2018, 10:54 PM
Scndsin
Du Nawt Seek The Treasure
Scndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputation
I made 4 long studs for the corners of the manifold.

Laid down a clean, thick, solid bead of Permetex blue without the nozzle.

Barely touching the intake gaskets at the ends of the "walls".

Let it sit for 10 minuets to "skin" & drop the manifold straight down.

Let sit for additional 10 minuets with just the weight of the manifold. pressing down.

Tighten in circular pattern center bolts out just "snug".

Then torque with wrench to spec.

Best seal I ever had. Absolutely no weep or leak.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:22 AM
wtroger
Postmaster
wtroger is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wtroger is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
+1 what scndsin said. Only way to do it.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:57 AM
Mikulh
Senior User
Mikulh is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Mikulh is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Scndsin View Post
I made 4 long studs for the corners of the manifold.

Laid down a clean, thick, solid bead of Permetex blue without the nozzle.

Barely touching the intake gaskets at the ends of the "walls".

Let it sit for 10 minuets to "skin" & drop the manifold straight down.

Let sit for additional 10 minuets with just the weight of the manifold. pressing down.

Tighten in circular pattern center bolts out just "snug".

Then torque with wrench to spec.

Best seal I ever had. Absolutely no weep or leak.
Thanks. This is the approach I've always taken when installing aftermarket intakes on small block Fords (with good success), but I didn't know if there was some reason not to do it on the factory intake.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:01 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Posting Guru
My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by '89F2urd View Post

"carefully remove cork gasket from package. Place immediately in the trash can."
That is what I do with them. I use a bead of The Right Stuff from head to head. Havenít had any leaks.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:18 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by '89F2urd View Post

Agreed 200%

In my schooling we had a "customers" car come in with an intake leak. My friend and I were "volunteered" to do the job. Just as we were getting ready to set the intake on out "instructor" stopped us and ripped us a new one for using RTV in the front and back of the intake. He made us pull the rubbers out of the garbage and use them. A week later the car was back with a leak from the rubbers. The instructor insisted we installed them incorrectly. So we let him install them the second time. A week later the car came back again. This time me and my friend quickly got it DONE before the instructor came around and we disposed of the rubbers. A week later he had the customer bring the car back to check on it. He was all proud that there were no leaks, so we showed him the rubbers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.