Need help asap, Dana 60 hub

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 01:49 PM
DoctorSharpY
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help asap, Dana 60 hub

Hey guys, first post here.
I've been searching literally everywhere to find some info on what I'm looking for.

Little back story, I was driving and my brakes cut out.. Went and bought a new master cylinder because it seemed like that was it (soft pedal to ground), bench bled that, then bled the drivers side caliper. When I went to passenger side.. I noticed that when the truck was off the ground.. The wheel had some play.. Took the wheel off and noticed my rotor wasn't even making contact with the pads/caliper unless at steering lock (had somewhat working brakes at lock prior ). So I started taking out the hub lock and hub/rotor and noticed that the hub lock needed some tlc and went and bought the warn repair kit (have the warn hub locks). Then I noticed the bearings in the hub just fall out when taking it out. So now I'm stuck with some parts I cannot get off that I can't even find in any dana 60 diagram or anything. I got everything except one piece out that just doesn't appear anywhere.. I'll attach a photo below if anyone can help. I tried chiseling a small groove to catch with something but no luck

Truck is a 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3L turbo diesel
2W Abs, 4w drive

Old 09-16-2018, 01:56 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
That is the bearing cone. You have some burned up bearings. They have to come off even if cutting is needed

Old 09-16-2018, 02:06 PM
DoctorSharpY
Freshman User
Fordman, thank you so much for the quick reply.
Im not surprised that it's all messed up, the guy I got the truck from wasn't exactly the example of good maintenance

Do you know if this would be the proper kit to get that and replace some other things while there of course
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/national-2929/tire---wheel-16779/wheel-bearings---seals-16502/axle-spindle-bearing-13366/5b91a93c6200/national-wheel-bearing-seal-kit/sbk5/2554234

Thank you again for the quick reply

Old 09-16-2018, 05:49 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
That's the inner stuff behind spindle.
you just need wheel bearings/seal.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:00 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by DoctorSharpY
Hey guys, first post here.
I've been searching literally everywhere to find some info on what I'm looking for.

Little back story, I was driving and my brakes cut out.. Went and bought a new master cylinder because it seemed like that was it (soft pedal to ground), bench bled that, then bled the drivers side caliper. When I went to passenger side.. I noticed that when the truck was off the ground.. The wheel had some play.. Took the wheel off and noticed my rotor wasn't even making contact with the pads/caliper unless at steering lock (had somewhat working brakes at lock prior ). So I started taking out the hub lock and hub/rotor and noticed that the hub lock needed some tlc and went and bought the warn repair kit (have the warn hub locks). Then I noticed the bearings in the hub just fall out when taking it out. So now I'm stuck with some parts I cannot get off that I can't even find in any dana 60 diagram or anything. I got everything except one piece out that just doesn't appear anywhere.. I'll attach a photo below if anyone can help. I tried chiseling a small groove to catch with something but no luck

Truck is a 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3L turbo diesel
2W Abs, 4w drive
The section of thread half way down from the end to the left of the slot is messed up.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:01 AM
DoctorSharpY
Freshman User
Hey guys, I know it's like way late been super busy with work.. But an update on what all was wrong.

So I replaced my spindle and everything like bearings and it was a major change to the issues.
However it did end up not solving my issues completely.
Turns out my caliper on the driver side seized and destroyed the rotor. Replaced all of that.
And after bleeding and all my rear bleeder for the drums had to be replaced because it was leaking and what not.
Then replaced the shoes in the drums for good measure.
Then the master cylinder failed (new out of box) replaced that and she's stopping great and seems to be good.

So thanks again for all the help guys, I wanted to post an update and not be one of the people who comes for a question and never comes back lol

Old 10-19-2018, 10:25 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Great to hear that you got it going!

Old 10-19-2018, 04:37 PM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Glad to hearr the good news. Since your truck was abused so badly by the previous owner, if it were my truck I’d change the engine, transmission, transfer case and differential oils. Also drain and flush the coolant. Air filter? Check the universal joints in the driveline. I do all of the above when I get a new truck, regardless of how well it was supposedly maintained.