Help! 7.3 No Start - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Help! 7.3 No Start

Old 09-16-2018, 01:02 PM
Nelson98
New User
Nelson98 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help! 7.3 No Start

Hey guys, I've got a early 99 7.3 with an edge evo tuner that I can monitor with. 2 days ago I had a crack no start but it was just a glow plug relay no big deal. Today I have a crank no start and I'm confused. My monitor reads I have 178ish rpm so I don't think it's my CPS, I unplugged my ICP still no start so I'm pretty sure that's good. I read 0 psi injection pressure though and that makes me think my IPR is bad but I'm not sure. Some possibly good info would be that my CPS, ICP, IPR, injector O rings, glow plugs, valve cover gaskets, fuel bowl heater, and fuel filter have all been replaced within the last 10,000 miles. I recently checked and filled my hpop with oil, and I gotta spare CPS and ICP in my glovebox I could throw at this thing before I have to go to the store. Thanks for looking!

Old Today, 07:25 AM
afmedic
Elder User
afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.
Do you have fuel pressure?

Old Today, 08:19 AM
thomabb
Posting Guru
thomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to behold
I thought the motor had to hit 500 rpm before the injectors would fire?

Old Today, 08:47 AM
Evan_P
Postmaster
Evan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to behold
No. ICP pressure has to hit 500 psi before it will fire the injectors.

Old Today, 09:42 AM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by thomabb View Post
I thought the motor had to hit 500 rpm before the injectors would fire?
RPMs need to be at least 100 for the injectors to fire.

Old Today, 12:05 PM
Nelson98
New User
Nelson98 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Update

I'm pretty sure i've got fuel pressure but I haven't put a gauge on it. I got the damn thing to start after cranking forever. Watched my icp value go up from 0 to 500 by tens, once it finally got there it fired and magically had oil pressure again. But it ran like dog ****, stutters, stumbles at 1800 rpm, I'm stumped.

Old Today, 12:34 PM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
If you're hearing your fuel pump run when you turn your key on then you're probably okay (it's on the inboard side of the frame rail under the driver's door).

What brand of sensors did you use? You can get lucky but for the most part our trucks like OEM. You can unplug the ICP sensor and see how it starts/idles. If that fixes the problem then it's that sensor. Also check the plug for oil. Yes, I know you replaced it 10K miles ago but I've seen stranger things happen. It's free so you've got nothing to lose.

Dumb question - have you checked your oil level? The 7.3L doesn't need to be topped off but when it starts to get low it will let you know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.