Help! 7.3 No Start - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Help! 7.3 No Start

Old 09-22-2018, 01:31 PM
Nelson98
New User
Nelson98 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm in Corvallis Oregon. And as far as sensor brand I agree motorcraft is better, but don't you think the icp would get better unplugging it if it was bad? It didn't help...

Old 09-22-2018, 01:33 PM
Nelson98
New User
Nelson98 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm getting smoke but that's normal for the tune it's on, I'm straight piped and running a mildly aggressive tune and what I saw was nothing out of the ordinary

Old 09-24-2018, 10:18 PM
marauder1234
New User
marauder1234 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Pretty much the same here. I've changed the HPOP, ICP, IRP, CPS, batts at 13.5, oil in HPOP good, engine oil level good, coolant level good, fuel at 3/4 tank, I can here fuel pump working, cranks good and fast. Just died Friday while running at 1200 rpms with PTO, then wouldn't start. I noticed it running a little louder (more chatter), got in and it had yellow engine lamp and "check gages" lamp on. I pushed clutch pedal to disengage PTO and it died. Hasn't started since. Ive tried starting while isolating various sensors, still no start.

This is a pic of the latest info I pulled with Torque PRO...

Old 09-24-2018, 11:44 PM
Evan_P
Postmaster
Evan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Nelson98 View Post
I'm in Corvallis Oregon. And as far as sensor brand I agree motorcraft is better, but don't you think the icp would get better unplugging it if it was bad? It didn't help...
The way in which you are describing your ICP pressure climb to me indicates either a weak pump, failing IPR or a high pressure leak. The IPR being at over 90% as you said backs this up as it should NEVER go over 65% duty cycle. I would recommend switching back to a Motorcraft IPR valve and then recheck your numbers.

Originally Posted by marauder1234 View Post
Pretty much the same here. I've changed the HPOP, ICP, IRP, CPS, batts at 13.5, oil in HPOP good, engine oil level good, coolant level good, fuel at 3/4 tank, I can here fuel pump working, cranks good and fast. Just died Friday while running at 1200 rpms with PTO, then wouldn't start. I noticed it running a little louder (more chatter), got in and it had yellow engine lamp and "check gages" lamp on. I pushed clutch pedal to disengage PTO and it died. Hasn't started since. Ive tried starting while isolating various sensors, still no start..
What are your ICP pressure and IPR duty cycle readings while cranking? When you climbed in and saw the check gauges warning did you see any abnormal readings from the gauges?

Old 09-24-2018, 11:51 PM
marauder1234
New User
honestly i don't know what my gauges were doing. normally i'm **** about watching my gauges daily. just because this is my first diesel and i'm constantly nervous about it (lack of knowledge). I didn't expect it to die when i pressed the clutch pedal, so I don't know what they were doing. but, normally all the gauges were perfect day to day. I've only had this truck for a little over a month and nary a problem. this latest pic is data as i'm cranking. i'm extremely puzzled as to why my HPOP is so low. just installed it today.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:54 AM
Evan_P
Postmaster
Evan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to behold
I think you uploaded the same image as the first.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:00 AM
marauder1234
New User
Yea your right. Itís the most current one. Not sure why I uploaded it twice. I was thinking they were different I guess. Sorry bout that.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:31 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by marauder1234 View Post
i'm extremely puzzled as to why my HPOP is so low. just installed it today.
How long have you been cranking it for? Replacing the HPOP voids a noticeable amount of oil in the high pressure oil system. It takes a bit of cranking to get it to fire.

After that it takes about 100 miles to work the air out of the system. Depending on how you drive, it could take a little more or little less miles before things smooth out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.