Who here cooks on suitcase style ranges/grills? Coleman or otherwise? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Towing Forum > Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing
Reload this Page >

Who here cooks on suitcase style ranges/grills? Coleman or otherwise?

Notices

Who here cooks on suitcase style ranges/grills? Coleman or otherwise?

Old 09-18-2018, 08:32 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 7591250sd View Post
I saw several places now have 'refillable' 1lb bottles at about 15$, I've refilled a few green bottles.
Really? I thought that was illegal as hell.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:44 AM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Tedster9 View Post

Really? I thought that was illegal as hell.
So is speeding which is why none of us ever do it.
Anyway, if you get about 4 of the refillables, you should be good for a weekend, but I still prefer the 5# tank.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:31 PM
Sunnyside42
Senior User
Sunnyside42 is starting off with a positive reputation.
FYI - there are refillable 1# bottles, but they aren't cheap. It's my (limited) understanding that with the Coleman disposable bottles it's more of a safety thing - not really made for multiple refills.

Regardless, I too opted for a 20# bottle and a 12' extension hose to our camp stove. Simple and easy.

Regarding the OP's concern about space / weight I'd go for either a 5# or 11# bottle.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:15 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
So is speeding which is why none of us ever do it.
That's apples and aircraft carriers comparison though. Getting tagged for "speeding", the 29 in a 25 or whatever is mostly just about extracting $$$, otoh the 1 lb. tanks are disposable, so they aren't made/designed/intended for refilling. I think it's a great idea, but I'm surprised the adapters are so readily available considering how sue-happy everyone is in this country. All it takes is one tragic incident and some deep pocket retailer is frigging toast. Do the adapters even work with the latest type 20 pound tanks? The Big Buddy Mr. Heaters eat those 1 pound canisters like candy, the adapter + filter works great with the 20 lb tanks, I don't mess with the 1 lb tanks anymore.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:05 PM
KC8QVO
Posting Guru
KC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to all
Bringing the thread back... I ended up finding the old 5lb tank my grandpa had back in September and went to fill it. Won't hold pressure so we pitched it. I am using a 20lb tank for now, way bigger than I need but I know I won't run out.

On another subject with the ranges/grills - the set up I have is the Bass Pro combo unit with a grill on one side and a 10,000btu burner on the other. I'm looking at getting another unit that has two burners. There is one with dual 25,000btu burners and one with a triple set up - dual 25,000btu's on the outside and a 10,000btu in the middle. Then they have a couple smaller ones that have dual 5,000btu burners and dual 10,000btu burners. What I want to do is be able to boil water for noodles in a pot on one side and and run a skillet on the other for veggies/meat, or a pot with sauce, on the other. From some reviews it doesn't look like the 25,000btu rated burners will dumb down enough to simmer levels, whereas the 10,000btu or smaller ones will.

Do any of you have any comments on the burner btu ratings and where they have their limits? I like the 10,000btu burner on my combo unit now - it has worked well for boiling water in smaller pots so I think that is what I will go with, but I'd like some additional feedback. I guess the other thought is if a dual range exists that has 2 different size burners - like a 25,000btu one side and 10,000btu on the other. I'll look around and see. That may be the most versatile so long as the higher btu side can dumb down somewhat besides a real high blast even on low... The triple burner that Bass Pro has won't work because the 10,000btu burner is in the middle - can't use either outside burner at the same time (no room for a pot/pan on them with the center in use).

Old 11-23-2018, 01:03 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
If you need to boil water in any kind of quantity look at a King Kooker, these really crank out the heat and will dial back enough for simmering at least. A typical model is rated for 38,000 BTU at full tilt. They are not expensive. Then use a your regular camp stove for the sides or a coffee pot or whatever. It's actually more efficient to use these than try and overtax a camp stove. If you use cast iron Dutch Ovens for camping (nod your head "yes") the King Kookers work great for these too when deep frying.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:36 PM
KC8QVO
Posting Guru
KC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Tedster9 View Post
If you need to boil water in any kind of quantity look at a King Kooker, these really crank out the heat and will dial back enough for simmering at least. A typical model is rated for 38,000 BTU at full tilt. They are not expensive. Then use a your regular camp stove for the sides or a coffee pot or whatever. It's actually more efficient to use these than try and overtax a camp stove. If you use cast iron Dutch Ovens for camping (nod your head "yes") the King Kookers work great for these too when deep frying.
Good food for thought. I have looked at those, actually. I have a big 18-20" cast iron skillet that I want to use for fish frys at the lake. A single high output propane burner on a stand would do the trick for that for sure. That is way more than I need for what I am after, though.

I am cooking for myself primarily, but I like to cook and want to multi-task with two pots/pans/woks at the same time. That is where my stove/grill combo falls a bit short, though I still need it for the grill. I was using a combination of a while gas stove and a butane/propane mix stove (one at a time) for the past 5-6 weeks and it worked, but it wasn't ideal. The propane set up will be easier, quicker, clean, and more versatile.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:53 PM
Ferguson65
Postmaster
Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.
A two burner Camp Chef grill will do what you want. Two big burners that will make serious heat for 2 pots when needed, add a grill box for grilling duties when you want to go that route. The modular camp chef stuff is great. We have the Camp Chef Big Gas Grille 3, which is a triple burner beast. Grill box covers 2 burners plus still have the 3rd for a pot all at the same time, but grill box can come off and leave 3 burners. It works great but it's a big, heavy beast that takes up a lot of room in the trailer. We went with the intention of buying a Coleman Roadtrip or Weber Q. But for the same money the versatility of the Camp Chef can't be beat.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:07 PM
KC8QVO
Posting Guru
Thanks for the Camp Chef suggestion. The Ranger II may be closer to what I'm after, though it doesn't have the suitcase form with the lid and sides - just the burners (17,000btu each).

The one thing that concerns me with the bare burners (of any kind) is getting a wind block of some kind in place. On my backpacking stoves (MSR Whisperlite white gas stove and a Snow Peak Giga Power canister stove) I use a wind screen (the folded up one that comes with the MSR Whisperlite, primarily, though I have used aluminum foil at times also). I haven't worried too much about the suitcase style stove with the lid and sides in place, but it still doesn't seem quite as efficient as the whole front and one side (towards the grill) is open. The Ranger series is just two or three bare burners with absolutely no wind screening. I suppose I could come up with something, like aluminum flashing from the hardware store in place of aluminum foil or the MSR wind screen.

What have some of you come up with? Where do you set up your stoves and what do you enclose them with?

Old 11-23-2018, 10:15 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
To block the wind from my grille I use a large section of Reflectix. It's very lightweight which can be good and bad. I clamp it to the table my grille is on. That keeps the Reflectix from blowing away or into the grille. It's not fancy. I had it leftover from another project.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:58 AM
kgburns
Senior User
kgburns is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've got a Camp Chef Big Gas 2 with the grill box. Granted, it's not suitcase style and a lot bulkier than a suitcase, but you can get a carry case for it. Pretty versatile, it comes with the grill box and a griddle/grill plate and a windscreen. The windscreen can be used while you have the grill box sitting on.

Grilling burgers in the box does require a learning curve, since it sits so close to the burner, it tends to get a bit hotter in the center. For my needs it does well, my wife has to have steaks and burgers well done so I can cook my steak properly on the side whilst hers dries up on the middle part.

No problem getting large pots of water to boil and you can dial it down to simmer levels if needed.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:40 PM
Ferguson65
Postmaster
Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by KC8QVO View Post
What have some of you come up with? Where do you set up your stoves and what do you enclose them with?
Mine did not come with a windscreen, and 90% of the time it's not an issue. The 10% can be a hassle. Generally, as long as it's not on low it won't blow out. If it becomes an issue where Los is needed, we generally just relocate it somewhere that its shelter from the wind. That said, I'm sure I could buy the windscreen for the explorer stove line and install it. But it hasn't been enough of an issue IMO to go that far.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:16 PM
KC8QVO
Posting Guru
Before I threw in my suitcase stove set up I was using my backpacking stoves. My white gas stove clogged after the first couple runs so I switched to a canister stove for a while. I disassembled the white gas stove about 2 weeks ago to clean it and put it back together. Works like new again. In the times I ran the small stoves - more often than not I had an issue with wind. For the small pot and stove set up the wind screen from the MSR white gas stove was sufficient (short for the canister stove so I propped it up a few inches with wood blocks and it worked fine). I will see what I can come up with for wind protection for the bigger suitcase stoves/grill. In my opinion, thats a necessity.

With a small pot over a backpacking stove it is easy to get a wind screen "tube" set up so the heat is concentrated on the bottom and up the sides of the pot, but with a larger cooking set up and a skillet the "tube" affect isn't realistic. Blocking the wind from blowing the heat around and away from the pot/pan/skillet/wok may be more of a challenge on the bigger stoves.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:11 PM
KC8QVO
Posting Guru
Well I think I will scrap the big tank idea for a while and try some refillable 1lb bottles. REI has the FlameKing bottles and refill kit (see below) so I'm going to grab a set and some bottles for my next round on the road. That will lighten my load.

https://www.rei.com/product/113711/f...efill-kit-1-lb

Old 12-23-2018, 06:51 PM
KC8QVO
Posting Guru
The FlameKing bottles are super easy to fill. I got the refill kit that includes one and a second bottle so I have 2 to try. We are going to switch over to these all the way around, they rock! We have a grill up at the cabins that runs off these too so a supply of them up there will get through a season.

Here is the propane weight. I zeroed out the scale with the empty bottle before I filled it. I'd say that is right on at 1lb. For what it is worth, the bottles are 1lb 7.8oz empty and 2lb 7.8oz full.

The refill kit says it is only for 20lb tanks, I suspect because of the construction of the stand. The 1lb bottles have a relief valve (most of what makes them refillable) that will only allow them to hit 80% full. If I can find a way to spin my 100lb tank upside down (not set on the stand for the 20lb tanks, obviously) the valve will work the same on it. Refills for years.

I found a smaller dual burner stove also. The bad part - the regulator isn't passing any propane. I am going to try and exchange it tomorrow if the store has another one. The lid is removable and I can get my reversible griddle on it. I am not sure the burners are powerful enough to really get cooking on the griddle, but I would be curious to give it a try. This one will help me for my cooking purposes for the near future, but I still want to find a bigger one that is a more traditional "suitcase" style like the bigger combo I have.

EDIT: The new stove does work. I couldn't get it exchanged today as there isn't any stock in town so I played around with it. The regulator does actually pass propane. I tried it off the stove first and pushed the needle valve in on the stove end. I found the burner valves need to be backed off REALLY far (like 2-3 turns) before fuel flows. They aren't quick cracking valves like everything else I've used. I'll try it for a while and see how it does.

Last edited by KC8QVO; 12-24-2018 at 03:27 PM. Reason: New stove does work

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.