351w with GT-40 (or 40p) heads - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

351w with GT-40 (or 40p) heads

Old 09-14-2018, 05:49 PM
Zorm71
Freshman User
Zorm71 is starting off with a positive reputation.
351w with GT-40 (or 40p) heads

I know its not jeep but I am putting it in my 83 Cherokee (last year of the Grand Wagoner size ones), the 351w. Its a non-roller block, 93 I think. Found a set of GT40 and 40p heads in a local junk yard, which one would be better then the stock heads. Not really looking for huge hp, just want better breathing engine.

If I go GT40 or(40p) heads, keep the non roller cam/lifters or do the retro fit to the roller rockers

Also don't know if I want to try and rebuild the MPFI using the Explorer upper intake or just get a 650 Holley with a Edelbrock duel plane 4 bbl intake. Or use the cheby TBI set up I got. I also found a 80's ford LTD with the 5.0 and a real low upper intake.

thanks for any input.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:25 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Zorm71 View Post
the 351w. Its a non-roller block, 93 I think. Found a set of GT40 and 40p heads in a local junk yard, which one would be better then the stock heads.
Both are a lot better but select the GT40s for a wider range of headers.

keep the non roller cam/lifters or do the retro fit to the roller rockers
Roller is better but a lot more expensive.
Also don't know if I want to try and rebuild the MPFI using the Explorer upper intake
That won't mate with the 5.8 truck lower if that is what you're thinking.

I also found a 80's ford LTD with the 5.0 and a real low upper intake.
Also won't mate with the 5.8 truck lower.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:05 PM
BigBlue 94
Senior User
BigBlue 94 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for going ford over an ls1. So much cooler! Love them old jeep wagons.

What are your plans for the rig? If any off camber or big altitude changes, efi is the way to go.

ditch the gt40P heads. There are basically zero truck type headers available that work with the angled plugs.

consider doing a sequential fire injector setup from a mustang (maybe an explorer), as opposed to the batch fire that the 93 truck would have had. Its a lot better. The factory 93 efi system will limit you severely on cam choice. It won't let you bump injector size and only allows so much power to be made. MAF SEFI is the best system put on a SBF besides the distributorless ones from explorers and late model vans.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:04 PM
Zorm71
Freshman User
Yea, I hate Chevy anything, hate it. Everyone tosses cheby stuff in other stuff, sick of that.

Picked up a set of rebuilt GT40p heads for under $100 bucks so gona use those. I got a Edelbrock Performer 351w duel plane manifold (picked that up for $75), to go on and was thinking of a 600 or 650 cfm Holley carb. Going to keep the flat tappet stuff, maybe a bump in the cam, .400 lift?

I have two options for tranny, cheep because I already have them. 1] the Cherokee has the Jeep T176 4 speed mated to the Jeep NP208 xfr case in it now. I can use the Ford bell housing I picked up (external slave mount) which bolts in place of the Jeep bell housing and go that rout. 2] Use a Jeep NV3550 5 speed I was going to use on another project, get the adapter, mate that to the ford bell housing and see if the NP208 will bolt up to it.

thoughts?

Old 09-24-2018, 10:08 AM
'89F2urd
Postmaster
'89F2urd has a very good reputation on FTE.'89F2urd has a very good reputation on FTE.'89F2urd has a very good reputation on FTE.
Basically any long tube header for the f series trucks work with the gt40p heads with no clearance issues. Might want to buy a cheap set and see if you can get them to fit, which i bet they would seeing as how you have a full size Cherokee, but don't be afraid to break out a torch and ratchet straps to bend them to fit.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:42 PM
1TonBasecamp
Posting Guru
1TonBasecamp is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
One other thing to note (or at least to check on) is that if the GT40 heads came from a 5.0 instead of a 5.8, the head bolt holes may be too small. The "P" heads were all 5.0 I believe, so it's going to be an issue there too.
Maybe it changed at some point, but Ford used larger head bolts on 351/5.8's than they did on the 302/5.0 engines. Something like 1/2" bolts for the smaller engine and 9/16" for the larger?

I don't know if that was universal for the whole run or not. But it's worth knowing before you pull things apart and have to scramble to make something work.
It's workable of course. Just more work.

Good score on the P heads by the way! Just by themselves 100 bucks is a decent deal. Rebuilt or refurbished it's a steal!

Paul

Old 09-24-2018, 04:09 PM
GoinBoarding
Posting Guru
GoinBoarding has a good reputation on FTE.GoinBoarding has a good reputation on FTE.
7/16" head bolts on the 5.0L heads, 1/2" on the 5.8L. Can certainly drill the 7/16" to 1/2". I did mine in a drill press, though a machine shop would be my recommendation.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:48 PM
'89F2urd
Postmaster
'89F2urd has a very good reputation on FTE.'89F2urd has a very good reputation on FTE.'89F2urd has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have even done them with a hand drill, although that would be no fun on cast iron. If they're going to the machine shop anyway for anything else, misewell have them do it.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:39 AM
Scndsin
Du Nawt Seek The Treasure
Scndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputation
I pulled my GT-40s off a 96 Explorer & one head was drilled 7/16 & the other was 1/2.

I'd be willing to swear it came off the line that way since there were no witness marks on any of the bolts on the entire engine.

Both were F3ZEAA heads with 3 styles of oil seals.

Took the odd one out back & the shop did it for a bout $10.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:30 AM
Zorm71
Freshman User
great advise. Running into issues removing the stock heads off the 351. Stock exhaust manifolds, broke two bolts already but don't really care. Should I toss a torch on the bolts or manifold to help remove the bolts.
Another question is, stock push rods? or, put the P heads on and see where the rocker hits the valve with the stock rods? I also plan on porting the intake to the head and vise versa, also the exhaust when I find the headers.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:03 AM
Scndsin
Scndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputation
My measured difference with an adjustable push rod on my GT40s with Crane cobra (bolt down) rockers was .050

Got a set from Trick Flow for $99

If I had it all to do over again, I have the heads machined for adjustable rockers. That's just me.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:19 PM
'89F2urd
Postmaster
You'll have to measure preload, or lack thereof, at the lifter in order to determine if your pushrods will work and what you'll need if they won't. Spec is .020 - .060 if I recall correctly.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:33 PM
Scndsin
Just to be clear, when I put the stock push rods in to test, I had a .020 gap with the valve fully closed & the roller on the base circle.

That plus .030 preload is about .050 over the stock (5.8) 7.50 length.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:56 PM
GoinBoarding
Posting Guru
GoinBoarding has a good reputation on FTE.GoinBoarding has a good reputation on FTE.
And I lucked out with decked gt40p heads on a decked roller 351w block where the stock pushrods were right on. So don't worry about it until the new heads are installed, might be a non issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.