351w with GT-40 (or 40p) heads - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

351w with GT-40 (or 40p) heads

Old 09-14-2018, 04:49 PM
Zorm71
Freshman User
Zorm71 is starting off with a positive reputation.
351w with GT-40 (or 40p) heads

I know its not jeep but I am putting it in my 83 Cherokee (last year of the Grand Wagoner size ones), the 351w. Its a non-roller block, 93 I think. Found a set of GT40 and 40p heads in a local junk yard, which one would be better then the stock heads. Not really looking for huge hp, just want better breathing engine.

If I go GT40 or(40p) heads, keep the non roller cam/lifters or do the retro fit to the roller rockers

Also don't know if I want to try and rebuild the MPFI using the Explorer upper intake or just get a 650 Holley with a Edelbrock duel plane 4 bbl intake. Or use the cheby TBI set up I got. I also found a 80's ford LTD with the 5.0 and a real low upper intake.

thanks for any input.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:25 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Zorm71 View Post
the 351w. Its a non-roller block, 93 I think. Found a set of GT40 and 40p heads in a local junk yard, which one would be better then the stock heads.
Both are a lot better but select the GT40s for a wider range of headers.

keep the non roller cam/lifters or do the retro fit to the roller rockers
Roller is better but a lot more expensive.
Also don't know if I want to try and rebuild the MPFI using the Explorer upper intake
That won't mate with the 5.8 truck lower if that is what you're thinking.

I also found a 80's ford LTD with the 5.0 and a real low upper intake.
Also won't mate with the 5.8 truck lower.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:05 PM
BigBlue 94
Senior User
BigBlue 94 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for going ford over an ls1. So much cooler! Love them old jeep wagons.

What are your plans for the rig? If any off camber or big altitude changes, efi is the way to go.

ditch the gt40P heads. There are basically zero truck type headers available that work with the angled plugs.

consider doing a sequential fire injector setup from a mustang (maybe an explorer), as opposed to the batch fire that the 93 truck would have had. Its a lot better. The factory 93 efi system will limit you severely on cam choice. It won't let you bump injector size and only allows so much power to be made. MAF SEFI is the best system put on a SBF besides the distributorless ones from explorers and late model vans.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.