Conventional, Semi, or full synthetic? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Reload this Page >

Conventional, Semi, or full synthetic?

Notices
2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine

Old 09-14-2018, 01:19 PM
Rumble phish
Junior User
Rumble phish is starting off with a positive reputation.

Before anyone says "use the search function" I did, and it sucks.

Having said that, the truck is in the shop getting the timing set replaced (everything, including oil pump, water pump, plugs, COP's, and possibly rockers and lash adjuster (lifters) if needed. Ford specs 5w-20 for the Triton 3 valve motors, but since I'm having the high volume, high pressure oil pump installed (and the fact that it gets pretty hot here in the summer) I'll be running 5W-30 in it. My question is conventional, semi-synth, or full synthetic?

I prefer to run Castrol. No particular reason. I always ran Castrol GTX in my Hayabusa (motorcycle) and she ran like a Swiss clock. I run either Motorcraft or Mobil 1 filters (whichever is cheaper of the two when I buy). The engine has 139,910 miles on it. Previous owner ran it a little low, probably making the same mistake most "old-timers" do in thinking that since it's an American V8 it only needed 5 quarts (the Triton's use 7 quarts). And from the sticker on the windshield when I bought it, it looks like he was putting 10W-40 in it (which is probably why the phasers/VCT solenoids failed). I'm fully expecting to find more than a little "sludge" in it when we get the valve covers off so I'm thinking of using Castrol's "Ultraclean" (conventional) for the first couple of changes to help clear out any sludge possible, then switching over to the semi-synth. Has anyone had any experience with the "Ultraclean" Castrol, or similar oils? Or should I just go straight to the semi? And are full synthetics worth it?

Old 09-14-2018, 04:14 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader
sky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputation
I always run full synthetic in my vehicles, but maybe I'm just overly concerned about maintenance.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:57 PM
steve(ill)
Post Fiend
steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.
the type of oil is not important as the weight and normal changes... The oil type did not screw up the Phasers... that is a known problem and can be related to viscosity and oil change interval / clean oil.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:56 PM
Fifty150
Senior User
Fifty150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Use the right weight. Use the correct amount. Change as needed.

Today's full synthetic oil will offer you better detergent additives and will be effective for more time & miles than conventional oil.

Ford recommends Motorcraft Synthetic Blend.

A lot of owners use full synthetic oil, and have not had problems as a result of the oil.

The most important is to use the correct weight, correct amount, and change as needed.

You keep looking, and talking to people, and everyone will give you their opinion on which brand of oil is best, and why.

You can send your oil in for used oil analysis to determine your oil change interval with the oil of your choice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.