Conventional, Semi, or full synthetic? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Reload this Page >

Conventional, Semi, or full synthetic?

Notices
2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine

Conventional, Semi, or full synthetic?

Old 12-12-2018, 01:25 AM
Fifty150
Senior User
Fifty150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've got a Mag Hytec transmission pan with the magnetic drain plug, extra capacity, and the cooling fins. I like to drain & fill. Then disconnect the transmission cooling line and pump out the old fluid a few quarts at a time, as I refill through the dipstick tube.

Lucas Oil Transmission Fix is a controversial product. Some people love it. Others will warn you to steer clear.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:15 AM
1saxman
Posting Guru
1saxman has a good reputation on FTE.1saxman has a good reputation on FTE.1saxman has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by steve(ill) View Post
but the topic was motor oil / type / frequency of change..

I just did my transmission oil also. Welded a drain plug in the pan so I can change out 6 quarts again in a few months... Then every couple years going forward.... You don't get it all out, but your changing out 6 of 13 quarts on a routine basis to keep it refreshed.
That's right - the 'drain/fill' method is what keeps your fluid fresh. There are some things to pay attention to here, like being certain the fluid level is correct and making note of its position on the stick BEFORE draining. Also use a dry pan to catch the fluid that comes out, then measure it. I use a pre-graduated gallon milk jug for this.
The idea is you will put back exactly how much comes out and you are certain that the level remains correct. Three D/Fs are required to get over 95% of the old fluid, but you need to drive it between D/Fs to make sure its mixed. Since one D/F makes so much difference, and since with every subsequent D/F done within 1000 miles you are throwing away new fluid that you just put in, most people will do one and then two more maybe a year apart or just do one D/F every two years or 30,000 miles.
With most trucks you still have a removable pan with an accessible filter so you figure on cleaning the pan after reading the contents and replacing the filter. Most cars/small SUVs are basically FWD so they just have a drain plug and no accessible filter.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:20 PM
Fifty150
Senior User
I still like the idea of disconnecting the cooling line to pump out the rest of the contaminated fluid. I just did that this morning with my truck.,

I use a bucket with measurement markers. Empty the pan from the drain plug. Refill to pan capacity. If your fluid has burned off, leaked, or for whatever reason it may be a quart or two low, always refill to pan capacity. Don't just refill with the exact amount that came out. No sense in adding new fluid, to still be 1 or 2 quarts low. Then pump out 4 quarts at a time, refill with 4 quarts, and repeat until clean fluid is coming out. This allows me to see that contaminated fluid is in the bucket, and that the entire system now has fresh fluid. After 8 quarts, when I started the car again, I saw clean fluid coming back out after about 1 quart was pumped back out. Then it's just a matter of refilling with the measured amount.

The math works this way. 13.9 quart capacity. 6 quarts comes out of your pan. You refill with 6 quarts of fresh fluid. Now, there is approximately 7.9 quarts of contaminated fluid in your transmission which you should get out. Don't mix your fresh fluid with contaminated fluid.

If you have an aftermarket transmission pan, then refill the pan to whatever the specs for that pan are. My aftermarket pan is an 8 qt pan. 2 gallons.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:26 PM
Fifty150
Senior User

Old 12-12-2018, 08:55 PM
steve(ill)
Post Fiend
steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.
I would not be putting LUCAS or any other crap in the transmission. It is suppose to be MERCON V in the older trucks and MERCON LV in the newer ..The stuff in LUCAS is not necessarily a good match for Trans FLuid.

and this is an ENGINE OIL post. If you want to argue about TRANSMISSIONS, you should start a new post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.