Spark plugs & coolant on boots - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Spark plugs & coolant on boots

Old 09-14-2018, 08:28 AM
elkhunter0452
New User
elkhunter0452 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Spark plugs & coolant on boots

Hello, have a 2007 Lincoln Mark LT 4wd 5.4 engine. Basically this is a Ford motor as it tells you to replace everything with motorcraft parts. The vehicle engine light was on and running rough and had the part store put their machine on it to get the code. It came back either bad spark plugs or coil packs. I've never changed spark plugs and never knew what a headache I was heading into with the spark plugs. Got all of them out and put them in and same results but noticed I had antifreeze laying in the boots on the passenger side only . So I bought new coil packs replaced them and same thing , engine light went off but running rough and once again antifreeze laying in with the boots on the passenger side. When I changed out the old plugs there wasn't any antifreeze, only after I replaced with new ones. Thinking head gasket but why now after putting new plugs in.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:14 PM
R&T Babich
Posting Guru
R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by elkhunter0452 View Post
Hello, have a 2007 Lincoln Mark LT 4wd 5.4 engine. Basically this is a Ford motor as it tells you to replace everything with motorcraft parts. The vehicle engine light was on and running rough and had the part store put their machine on it to get the code. It came back either bad spark plugs or coil packs. I've never changed spark plugs and never knew what a headache I was heading into with the spark plugs. Got all of them out and put them in and same results but noticed I had antifreeze laying in the boots on the passenger side only . So I bought new coil packs replaced them and same thing , engine light went off but running rough and once again antifreeze laying in with the boots on the passenger side. When I changed out the old plugs there wasn't any antifreeze, only after I replaced with new ones. Thinking head gasket but why now after putting new plugs in.
The parts store just read the error codes with a basic code reader you can get on Amazon for $15 - Oxgord OBD2 Scanner CAN OBDII Code Reader.
It can clear the codes, too.
The codes were probably P0301, P0302, ...P0308 - P0301 Misfire on cylinder #1, etc.
A misfire can be caused by a fouled plug, moisture in the plug chamber, worn out plug boot, sticky fuel injector, bad coil, flaky ECM.
The coils last a lot longer than the boots, I change boots & plugs at 50k, Denso boots 671-0001 work well.
With antifreeze on the spark plug boots I would suspect that may have been the problem, especially if the boots are old.
Just a little antifreeze down in the spark plug hole can cause a misfire.
The passenger side is where the heater lines run.
There may be a plastic fitting, tee, or vacuum controlled shutoff valve that is cracked or loose leaking coolant.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:31 PM
elkhunter0452
New User
Thanks R&T Babich,
Yeah I'm gonna have to check them coolant lines better because I tried watching that side and couldn't see a spray or drip but it's gotta be it as there was never any coolant in the spark plug chamber. I know I leaned on some of the lines getting the spark plugs out. I thought there's no way changing plugs and coil packs the head gasket would go out.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:46 PM
R&T Babich
Posting Guru
R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by elkhunter0452 View Post
.... Yeah I'm gonna have to check them coolant lines better because I tried watching that side and couldn't see a spray or drip but it's gotta be it as there was never any coolant in the spark plug chamber. I know I leaned on some of the lines getting the spark plugs out. I thought there's no way changing plugs and coil packs the head gasket would go out.
If there is a crack it may only leak when the water temp gets very hot, but it would only get worse.
I read about people having problems with the heater shutoff valve more than other things.
The early versions of these valves in the '60s used to be made out of metal.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:15 PM
elkhunter0452
New User
ok. that'll help . I know when I was removing those darn spark plugs, I had a hard time getting them out and that passenger side has so much junk in the way even removing the brain or whatever you call it.lol on the firewall and I was leaning on hoses and things so I had to have caused some type of leak in a hose or something. Theres one hose that runs directly over the coil packs and it has to be that hose. I'll remove it and run water through it and see if it leaks under pressure.
Thank you for your help.
Brian

Old 09-19-2018, 09:45 PM
Rumble phish
Senior User
Rumble phish is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yep, heater line is leaking most likely. Was the coolant in the back two cylinders? Another possibility (which happened to me) is that you may have an upper intake manifold gasket leaking. This will fill the #8 cylinder (farthest back on the passenger side) with coolant. Easy repair.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:35 PM
dogdays
Senior User
dogdays is starting off with a positive reputation.
For this reason you never pressure wash the engine compartment.
No way it could be a head gasket.
If you start looking online you will find the majority of issues with spark plug wells getting filled with something are on the right side or cylinders 1,2,3 or 4.

I have a couple of other cars with overhead cams with the same issues.

R.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:02 PM
R&T Babich
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dogdays View Post
.... If you start looking online you will find the majority of issues with spark plug wells getting filled with something are on the right side or cylinders 1,2,3 or 4. .... .
There are several places for engine coolant to leak on the passenger side from the 5/8" heater hoses/cutoff valve and the 1/4" PCV heater hoses.
Our 2003 Exped had rain water leaking onto #6 & #7 from a misaligned firewall panel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.