Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2018 F150 Do's and Dont's

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 08:50 PM
Xsuperdutyfan
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 F150 Do's and Dont's

Just came down from the almighty Super Duty Diesel. No more towing no need for the big truck so bought a 2018 3.5 eco boost that I would like to see a bit more power. Sport mode is fun and gives it a better feel but not sure if it is good for the truck around town. Really do not want to void the warranty and if you ask someone at Ford it only keeps warranty in place if you buy it from them. I was thinking a high end cold air intake and upgrade of the exhaust should give it 60 or so HP more. Even heard of a legal tune that gains 50hp and still under warranty. Everything I am reading says to leave cats alone as they are high performers these days and there is no need to eliminate them. Does anyone know the do's and dont's of voiding the warranty while improving performance? Do not care if MPG's go down just do not want to lose warranty.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:25 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
If you are worried about it, leave it stock.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:08 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My guess is you’ll get zero hp increaes with a cold air intake and exhaust. Keeping those systems restricted by design costs Ford power and efficiency. There’s no point in leaving anything “on the table” these days.

Unless you have specific details of this tune that doesn’t void your warranty, my guess is it will. I’d love to see more info if you have it.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:29 PM
Scott Stielow16
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leave the Truck Stock. I would not want to lose the warranty. Just my opinion of course.
Enjoy your new Truck,
Scott

Old 09-14-2018, 12:00 AM
pokebowl
New User
Do you have a FX4 or a 4x4 sticker on your bed? If you do, remove them that will get you another 10hp more

Old 09-14-2018, 01:28 AM
F150-Stuttgart
Freshman User
There must be a way to tune the truck and dont lose the warranty. Arent there Ford Performance exhausts?
A Sport exhaust should give an increase in performance. A very little one though. Should be arount 0 to 7% depending on the system.
Thats at least what I know about exhaust systems here in germany. In the US are the legal options for exhaust and all the other tunig stuff
really plentiful in comparison to the restricted options germany.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:20 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Any performance increases and Ford will find a reason to blame the additional power for increasing wear and tear on the suspension, transmission, shocks, and the integrity of the body structure.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:58 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts
Exhaust and CAI aren't going to do a thing for you as far as performance/mileage. In fact, I had an exhaust system that actually hurt, right along with tons of drone, and noise.
Roush, IIRC, offers a CAI, exhaust, and tune, that if installed by a dealer, and IIRC, offers a warranty. I suspect the tune does more than the CAI and exhaust, and I'll tell you first hand, that exhaust is LOUD, and drones badly.
Other companies also offer a warranty on their tunes, 5 Star, and MPT come to mind, may want to check them out. Best way I found is to actually CALL them, they're very both very approachable in my experience.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:28 AM
Xsuperdutyfan
Mountain Pass
Thank's all appreciate it

Old 09-15-2018, 12:48 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
The Intake system on your truck now is a cold air intake. All after market has is Preetier intakes. So really you are left with exhaust and tuner. The exhaust will give negliable increase, and more noise, but shouldn't bother the warrany regaurdless fo who you get it from. A tuner will effect the engine wrranty. If you must get a tuner 5 Star is the the best.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:28 PM
Whdevl
New User
Warranty check!

Originally Posted by Xsuperdutyfan
Just came down from the almighty Super Duty Diesel. No more towing no need for the big truck so bought a 2018 3.5 eco boost that I would like to see a bit more power. Sport mode is fun and gives it a better feel but not sure if it is good for the truck around town. Really do not want to void the warranty and if you ask someone at Ford it only keeps warranty in place if you buy it from them. I was thinking a high end cold air intake and upgrade of the exhaust should give it 60 or so HP more. Even heard of a legal tune that gains 50hp and still under warranty. Everything I am reading says to leave cats alone as they are high performers these days and there is no need to eliminate them. Does anyone know the do's and dont's of voiding the warranty while improving performance? Do not care if MPG's go down just do not want to lose warranty.
I checked with my dealerbout warranty cuz I wanted to add a Airaid MXP cold air intake. They told me it doesnt void the whole warranty just maybe a part the air intake caused to fail if something were to happen. I keep all my OEM parts tho, just in case I need to switch em back out.
P.s. you can add a tuner to your truck. The Bullydog BDX allows you to change truck back to stock in case you need it!

Old 10-20-2018, 05:54 PM
Labmaster02
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Whdevl

I checked with my dealerbout warranty cuz I wanted to add a Airaid MXP cold air intake. They told me it doesnt void the whole warranty just maybe a part the air intake caused to fail if something were to happen. I keep all my OEM parts tho, just in case I need to switch em back out.
P.s. you can add a tuner to your truck. The Bullydog BDX allows you to change truck back to stock in case you need it!
All tuners can be returned to stock and all tuners leave a mark on the PCM that can identify a tuner was used. I believe it counts the start cycle. If the start count is around 5 when brought in it would indicate it.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Xsuperdutyfan
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Labmaster02
All tuners can be returned to stock and all tuners leave a mark on the PCM that can identify a tuner was used. I believe it counts the start cycle. If the start count is around 5 when brought in it would indicate it.
Thats what I was told and if so it will void any warranty coverage for the damage.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:23 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Whdevl
I checked with my dealerbout warranty cuz I wanted to add a Airaid MXP cold air intake. They told me it doesnt void the whole warranty just maybe a part the air intake caused to fail if something were to happen.
IMHO, I'd rather have CLEAN air than more air by installing a cold air intake. Remember what's down-line from that air filter? Those twin turbos...and having them get dirty or less filtering is a bad idea. Again, speaking of warranty repairs, etc.

Just my .02

biz

Old 10-23-2018, 04:12 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Even heard of a legal tune that gains 50hp and still under warranty........ Does anyone know the do's and dont's of voiding the warranty while improving performance? Do not care if MPG's go down just do not want to lose warranty.
Originally Posted by F150-Stuttgart
There must be a way to tune the truck and dont lose the warranty.
Originally Posted by Labmaster02
Thats what I was told and if so it will void any warranty coverage for the damage.
Ford does not offer any performance calibrations for the F-150, hence there are no tunes out there that would be covered by warranty should a problem occur.

Just for clarification, modifications do not automatically void the warranty. The warranty is intact until the modification actually causes a problem or failure. At that point the warranty will not apply and you must pay for repairs yourself.

And yes it's very easy for dealer technicians to see if the truck was tuned at some point, regardless of drive cycles. Ford has step-by-step guides for techs to follow if they suspect a tune caused a problem, including what to look for regarding engine damage if there is any.

Quick Reply: 2018 F150 Do's and Dont's