Computer Chips & Tuners  

Best OBD2 Scanner (Bluetooth) App?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 05:07 AM
Tighty Whitey
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best OBD2 Scanner (Bluetooth) App?

I'm getting ready to buy: This Scanner and have just realized I'm going to have to find and install the App for it. There's dozens at the Google Play store. Some are free and some are paid. The free ones all seem to have ads, which I hate. Torque Pro (paid) and Torque Lite (free) seem to be the most popular, but (rant begins) I really hate the way the Google Play Store doesn't allow you to have full control over the search parameters, such as listing apps by the number of downloads (highest to lowest), listed in order of number of reviews (highest to lowest) etc... It's like Google Play store is deliberately limiting your ability to search through the options in order to manipulate you into picking what GOOGLE wants you to pick. Google seems to do a LOT of that sort of thing, particularly lately (hint, hint). Anyways (end rant), that's my dilemma.

Do I just install Torque Lite and wait for a good reason to install something else? Should I stop trying to solve a problem I may not even have?

FYI this is part of a larger project of replacing the intake manifold gaskets for my 2001 F150. I have some "check engine" lights on, and have had some codes and I want to get a scanner to get a record of "Before" the repair, so I can compare it to the "After" the repair codes (if any). Replacing the Intake Manifold Gaskets may fix all, some or none of my engine codes. So this may be a "one-off" tool that I use a few times, throw it up on a shelf and never use it again (along with all the other tools & stuff from "one-off" projects. So I don't want to put too much money into something I'm going to use once and may never again.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:59 AM
kgburns
Senior User
I'd start out with Torque Pro, heck, it's only about 5 bucks and once you pay that, you can download it to any new devices you get in the future.

I did run Torque Lite back when I was driving gassers, but when I got this diesel the common consensus was either Torque Pro or Forscan. For me at least, Torque Pro had the easiest learning curve.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:45 AM
Tighty Whitey
New User
Originally Posted by kgburns
I'd start out with Torque Pro, heck, it's only about 5 bucks and once you pay that, you can download it to any new devices you get in the future.

I did run Torque Lite back when I was driving gassers, but when I got this diesel the common consensus was either Torque Pro or Forscan. For me at least, Torque Pro had the easiest learning curve.

Okay thanks. I'm going to try to use the free version and see how that goes.
I'm reading stuff that indicates that the free version is somehow crippled. Do you know if that's true?

Old 09-15-2018, 06:03 AM
kgburns
Senior User
It's been a long while since I used Lite, but I think it would throw up an advertisement ever so often and I don't think it had a transmission temp selection on it. I didn't have the need to add any specific PIDs to that version, so I can't remember if you can add them.

Really tho, for $5, Pro is a great deal, just go the Pro route after your reached your learning curve on the Lite version, it's money very, very well spent

Old 10-01-2018, 11:35 AM
Tighty Whitey
New User
Originally Posted by kgburns
It's been a long while since I used Lite, but I think it would throw up an advertisement ever so often and I don't think it had a transmission temp selection on it. I didn't have the need to add any specific PIDs to that version, so I can't remember if you can add them.

Really tho, for $5, Pro is a great deal, just go the Pro route after your reached your learning curve on the Lite version, it's money very, very well spent

Okay thanks. That's what I'm going to do.