Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10-speed transmission not as smooth as 6 speed

Old 09-11-2018, 09:47 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
10-speed transmission not as smooth as 6 speed

I've had a 2018 Raptor and now a family member just picked up a 2018 F-150 V8. I got to drive his old 2016 F-150 turbo back to back with the new truck...and in my opinion, the 10-speed just isn't that smooth. Certain shifts are abrupt and downshifts are harsh in some cases. The 6-speed is a very smooth operator. The 10-speed seems to not be...and this mirrors my experience in the Raptor. I was thinking my 2018 Raptor (which I bought a year ago) had a fairly early version of the 10 speed, and this current F-150 would have revised software and smooth out some of the glitches. What do you guys think? Driving style is smooth, occasional hard acceleration to make a pass but mostly driving for fuel economy.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:53 AM
Kingofwylietx
Elder User
Kingofwylietx has a good reputation on FTE.Kingofwylietx has a good reputation on FTE.Kingofwylietx has a good reputation on FTE.
My 10-speed feels pretty smooth more than 99% of the time. I might get an occasional bump or hard shift, but it doesn't bother me.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:58 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
Maybe you get used to it, I dunno.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:32 AM
17CCLB250
Junior User
17CCLB250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I kind of agree troverman, though my experience is very limited. Was thinking about getting a F150 for the wife to replace an Escape, so I test drove the 2018 2.7 with the 10 speed. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the TH350 in my old squarebody and now the 6R100 in my F250, but the 10 speed was a nervous, hyper, jittery mess. Just driving around for a few minutes in normal, low traffic city environment with stoplights, turns, accelerations etc. it was never ever in the right gear.

It always felt like it was either bogging or downshifting 2 or 3 gears once you tried to overcome the sluggish response to your throttle input. Which is a real shame because the 2.7 was a totally fantastic little motor, with gobs of power everywhere in the power band.

I realize that a lot of this can probably be overcome once you learn how to drive it, and get used to its quirks, but man it is just totally opposed to how I feel a trans should work, especially in a pickup. It feels to me like one of those things where if you only ever accelerate like a glacier on qualuudes, merge on to the interstate at 45 mph and get up to speed over the next 2 miles, and never alter throttle input on surface roads regardless of other drivers, then it will be a smooth and fuel efficient experience.

What's funny is putting it in sport mode almost completely cleared up these complaints. So it's not a matter of hardware, it's a matter of terrible programming. You don't even have to drive aggressively like a 16 year old in sport mode, it just does a much much better job of simply holding gears without lugging, and not trying to get into quintuple overdrive the second the tires start moving from a dead stop. Full disclosure, I've driven the majority of trucks and cars on the market over the last 10 years (mostly rentals for work), and pretty much all transmission programming regardless of vendor or platform is complete and utter garbage. I'm all about fuel efficiency or whatever, but trying to make those .001 mpg gains by neutering shift patterns and making you hate the driving experience is probably the worst decision ever, and ALL car makers are guilty of this.

The 6R100 (and 6R140) in my 250 is really the only acceptable one I've come across. I hope when they move a 10 speed into the SD platform, they do some real soul searching on the programming.

That said, if you like the 10 speed in your F150, great! To each their own. I just really hated how overbearing and ADHD it was just trying to drive normally, and trying to smooth it out without doing a burnout or being a rolling roadblock seemed impossible.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:40 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
Yeah, I noticed on the Raptor (and F-150) that sport mode improves the experience. Of course it front-loads the throttle too, which makes it feel more responsive. But even in Sport mode there can be some very abrupt and harsh shifts.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:52 AM
Kingofwylietx
Elder User
Kingofwylietx has a good reputation on FTE.Kingofwylietx has a good reputation on FTE.Kingofwylietx has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
Maybe you get used to it, I dunno.
I can't honestly say whether I adjusted to it or if it adjusted to me. Either way, I'm perfectly happy with the transmission.

I'm a spirited driver in town. Typically, I'm the quickest off the line and tend to stay in front. If I'm not in front, I work my way there.
On the highway, I normally just cruise with or a little faster than the traffic flow.

I'm fairly adept at learning new things, so maybe I unconsciously manipulate the truck to get it to behave how I want...ie, gentle rolls on the throttle to build boost for max torque when overtaking or accelerating vs suddenly flooring it. I also look far ahead of my vehicle and normally anticipate what actions I may need to take rather than reacting to more immediate things that should have been foreseen.

Who knows? Maybe my particular truck just matches my driving style or I got a good one.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:07 PM
jimmy-six
Elder User
jimmy-six has a good reputation on FTE.jimmy-six has a good reputation on FTE.
My only complaint after 10k miles is when it cold or not warmed up. Never know what it's going to do. Sport mode is fine but it won't get into 7th in town driving at all. Overall I'm happier than the 6 speed because of more options with gears when towing.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:14 PM
RandyinTN
Senior User
RandyinTN is starting off with a positive reputation.
My wife drives a 17 Expedition with the 3.5 eco and 6 speed. I drive a 17 F150 with same motor and 10 speed. The Expedition is light years ahead in terms of smoothness. I am in the process of trying to get Ford to “Lemon Law” the F150 due to vibration issues as I type this. It has now been in the shop for 32 days and counting.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:03 PM
2.7EcoBoost
Senior User
2.7EcoBoost is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by RandyinTN View Post
My wife drives a 17 Expedition with the 3.5 eco and 6 speed. I drive a 17 F150 with same motor and 10 speed. The Expedition is light years ahead in terms of smoothness. I am in the process of trying to get Ford to “Lemon Law” the F150 due to vibration issues as I type this. It has now been in the shop for 32 days and counting.
I am not sure what vibration you have, but I had a vibration on deceleration (there is a post on here somewhere about it) from 60mph down to about 52 mph in my 16'. I also had a pretty firm 5-4 downshift on occasion. The dealer replaced my rear diff components, ring gear/pinion etc. and made the truck smooth as silk. It's been great ever since. They reprogrammed the TCM for the harsh down shift per a TSB. The thing would SLAM into 4th way worse than before and do it more frequently after. After driving it for about 1,000-1,500 miles it seemed to have figured out or adapted to me. I still get a faint 5-4 bump on occasion, but it is very infrequent and better than when it was new.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:19 PM
RandyinTN
Senior User
RandyinTN is starting off with a positive reputation.
The vibration my truck has is between 42-55 while under load. Dealer replaced the driveshaft and made it worse. Have no idea what the dealer has done to it in the last 2 weeks as they never called me. It is in Fords hands now as I mailed them a letter yesterday.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:37 PM
brokenleg
Posting Guru
brokenleg has a good reputation on FTE.brokenleg has a good reputation on FTE.brokenleg has a good reputation on FTE.
In time the 10 spd will be good. We are just learning, and the field will fix the issues.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:27 AM
barry1me
Senior User
barry1me is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
I've had a 2018 Raptor and now a family member just picked up a 2018 F-150 V8. I got to drive his old 2016 F-150 turbo back to back with the new truck...and in my opinion, the 10-speed just isn't that smooth. Certain shifts are abrupt and downshifts are harsh in some cases. The 6-speed is a very smooth operator. The 10-speed seems to not be...and this mirrors my experience in the Raptor. I was thinking my 2018 Raptor (which I bought a year ago) had a fairly early version of the 10 speed, and this current F-150 would have revised software and smooth out some of the glitches. What do you guys think? Driving style is smooth, occasional hard acceleration to make a pass but mostly driving for fuel economy.
100% agree. I had a 17 Raptor I bought new...sold it (long story, lots of little issues)...hated the 10sp..it was awesome when driving WOT or using hard off road, but for daily driving it shifted horribly. My 16 F150 with the 6r80 trans...shifts like butter. My 14 Raptor with 6r80 and 140k miles shifted perfect.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:40 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
When my daughter and I were shopping for her 2018 f-150, we drove a 2.7L truck and then we drove a 3.5L truck. The 2.7L is a fantastic little engine but I didn't like it with the 10 speed behind it so much that I now know that I'd never opt for this combination. Both trucks had 3.55 gears and were identically equipped.

Naturally I'm well accustomed to the quirkiness of my six speed so anything that's different just doesn't feel right. My daughter did comment about two weeks ago how sport mode made hers feel like a bit more aggressive. It actually concerned her like she thought something was wrong.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:42 AM
Kingofwylietx
Elder User
Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx View Post
My 10-speed feels pretty smooth more than 99% of the time. I might get an occasional bump or hard shift, but it doesn't bother me.
To be fair and balanced, I have to add that this AM I was driving to the office and it did one of those hard & clunky downshifts. I was slowing from 35 mph to 25 mph for a traffic circle.
That's what I get when not enjoying the other 99% of the time (when it works great). It's so random.

I've thought about doing the TSB where they reprogram the shifting, but frankly, I hate having anything done. My luck is one where something gets fixed but then it creates a new issue. I need to research if people have been happy with the results from whatever they do with the TSB that deals with the shifting.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:39 PM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Moderatee...
NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.
2018, 5.0 10 speed - it's definitely not the smoothest tranny I've ever had, but it's not so bad that I dislike it. Biggest gripe with mine is stumbling when the engine is coming off idle at 20-40 mph, as in coasting, then getting back on the throttle. I'm going to get it in and make sure that TSB 17-2262 has been applied. Mine is an 2017 early build which I bought in 5/2018, so likely it hasn't been updated. I'm hoping that will smooth things out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: