Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Napkin in gas tank

Old 09-10-2018, 01:39 PM
Db966
Freshman User
Db966 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Napkin in gas tank

Well this is embarrassing, last night after I filled up my gas tank I was drying the little bit of fuel that dripped. I have the 2018 5.0 that doesn’t have a cap so when I was drying around the opening a piece of the napkin smaller than my pinky nail got caught in the hole and I guess went into the tank. Is this something that the fuel filter will catch? Do I need to do anything? It’s a brand new truck and I’m still in the stage where I worry about the little things. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:42 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
I'd start shopping for a new truck if I were you.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:05 PM
wgotthardt
Senior User
wgotthardt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wgotthardt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Depends on the brand of napkin.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:17 PM
Db966
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tedster9 View Post
I'd start shopping for a new truck if I were you.
hahaha yeah I know

Old 09-10-2018, 02:25 PM
onug
Posting Guru
onug has a great reputation on FTE.onug has a great reputation on FTE.onug has a great reputation on FTE.onug has a great reputation on FTE.onug has a great reputation on FTE.onug has a great reputation on FTE.
Why not put a similar size piece into a cup of gas and see what happens. Maybe nothing. But I’d be concerned that it would dissolve a bit and release small bits of fiber or “goop” that will mess with the injectors.

Maybe the bigger question is will your dealership warranty a rebuild if they determine it was “bad fuel”.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:33 PM
Kingofwylietx
Elder User
Kingofwylietx is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Kingofwylietx is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I wouldn’t worry about it. That is literally what the fuel filter is for. The micron size of things that will pass through the fuel filter shouldn’t present any issue for the injectors (which are very high pressure and won’t blink at a fiber).

Try to be more vigilant in the future, but I seriously wouldn’t sweat this....not even a tiny bit.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:54 PM
KJ Smith
Elder User
KJ Smith has a very good reputation on FTE.KJ Smith has a very good reputation on FTE.KJ Smith has a very good reputation on FTE.KJ Smith has a very good reputation on FTE.
IIRC, there is another set of doors a little further down.

It probably won't go into your tank...… until you fill up again......

Old 09-10-2018, 06:55 PM
85e150six4mtod
85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
I am leaving the nozzle in there for 10 or more seconds after shutoff to avoid drips. Seems like it takes a while. YMMV.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:19 AM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to behold
It's a tiny piece of napkin, don't worry about it. These trucks don't have fuel filters. There is a permanent filter sock and it won't get by it. Trust me, I find rocks and sand in the bottom of all our fleet trucks tanks and nothing gets to the filter sock.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:20 AM
Db966
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
It's a tiny piece of napkin, don't worry about it. These trucks don't have fuel filters. There is a permanent filter sock and it won't get by it. Trust me, I find rocks and sand in the bottom of all our fleet trucks tanks and nothing gets to the filter sock.
that’s awesome thank you man

Old 09-11-2018, 07:14 AM
GABAR
Posting Guru
GABAR is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Db966 View Post
Well this is embarrassing, last night after I filled up my gas tank I was drying the little bit of fuel that dripped. I have the 2018 5.0 that doesn’t have a cap so when I was drying around the opening a piece of the napkin smaller than my pinky nail got caught in the hole and I guess went into the tank. Is this something that the fuel filter will catch? Do I need to do anything? It’s a brand new truck and I’m still in the stage where I worry about the little things. Thanks in advance for the advice.
More than likely it`ll just dissolved but I don`t think it`s something you should be too concerned about.
I`m not sure when you purchased it but congrats on the new truck.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:12 AM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
If it makes it to the pump I have no doubt the pump will obliterate it.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:09 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader
sky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputation
I'll take the truck off your hands for $100 and you go buy a new one.

All kidding aside, stop worrying about it and just enjoy the new truck.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:20 PM
Db966
Freshman User
Thank you guys for the replies. It has made me feel better about the situation!

Old 09-14-2018, 07:11 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to behold
To everyone that keeps saying it dissolved it didn't and won't. Cellulose stays together very well in fuel and oil and that's why fuel and oil filters are made from paper. The fuel filter sock sits in the pump assembly under a baffle. The baffles and height differences in the pump pick up work like a septic tank forcing all the solids to stay in the tank and not float into the pump cavity inlet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: