Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydra Chip and favorite tunes

Old 09-07-2018, 03:21 PM
MiamiPSD
Senior User
MiamiPSD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hydra Chip and favorite tunes

Im sold, I too will take the plunge and purchase the Hydra. My question is: I have a basically stock truck with the addition of a Precision Torque converter, JW valve body, WW wheel, Banks exhaust and the diesel site regulated return. Should I just try out he standard tunes available for N/C or get tunes from a vendor..IE: 1023 or elsewhere?

Old 09-08-2018, 08:41 AM
Jo7.3
Senior User
Jo7.3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
When i first bought my hydra, I was disappointed with how the truck ran. The idle would surge really bad, it didn't lock the torque converter in 3rd gear which made for some lousy acceleration, and the transmission shifted very hard. I now run 1023 tunes and am very happy with them. The truck runs and shifts so much better. Some people are happy with the tunes that come on the hydra though...however, I am not one of those people. I do have a slightly built transmission, so that might've been part of the cause of the torque converter not locking up in 3rd. I do like how the hydra came with high idle and whisper mode tunes. Those come in handy.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:25 AM
Sous
Moderator and SXE Junkie!
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
My advice is only as good as what you pay for it... So, here it goes...

I would give the PHP standard tunes a try and see what you think. You have already paid for them and they are easy to get.

If you are not happy with them or if you feel you might need something better, go to RiffRaff and select 1-3 tunes from 1023 Tuning. Or, go to SDK tuning and do the same thing. The beauty of it is that if you are not happy with the tune, you can ask to have it modified to your liking and if you are still not happy, you are only out a few dollars and some time. Gear Head used to be the best game in town, but I will never run my Gear Head tunes again now that I have the 1023 tunes dialed in.

Once I install the SXE turbo in my garage, I will give the PHP tunes a try, but 1023 will be my go to. I might pick up some tunes from SDK one day, but not sure on that.

One thing I will add, install the 90 degree bend cable that connects to the chip and run it under the dash someplace. This way you can get to the software and programming of the chip within a few seconds. You can get a standard 90 degree cord from Amazon for like $3, you don't need the one off the PHP site.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:04 PM
MiamiPSD
Senior User
Thank you both for your input, I appreciate the response.

Old 09-08-2018, 04:13 PM
00t444e
Posting Guru
00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I loved how the shifting was with the standard PHP tunes when I had my auto. I tried another company and the shift points were terrible. I ran the 140 tune all of the time when I had stock injectors.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:42 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
I had a 6 position chip for about 4 years before I moved to the Hydra earlier this year. I had the "standard" PHP tunes (spent most of my time in 65Hp Daily Driver or 80Hp Performance) and was happy with them.

I have tunes from PHP and Gearhead (GH) currently. They both perform but have different approaches. One example is that PHP has a non-linear pedal response while GH does. This is something that not everybody is a fan of. Since the GH response is linear the truck feels more sluggish because it takes more go pedal to get the same results.

I would definitely try out the PHP tunes. They are free and that will give you a baseline as well as let you experiment with different tunes to see what you like and don't like.

From there you can branch out and test out some others if you want. There are a lot of popular tuners out there that people have had success with. What works for one does not necessarily work for another as everyone's wants, needs, setups, and budget are different. Call some vendors and talk with them about what you're looking for and see what they say. That was an important part in addition to reading FTE threads when I chose my tunes.

Another factor is revisions. Each tuner has their own "warranty" for adjustments so that might be a factor for you as well.

If I had to do it all over again I would not have gotten a bundle to start with. I have 14 tunes of which I will probably end up with 3-4 that I'll use regularly. I saved some money buying them all at the same time but it would have been cheaper to buy just one tune from a few different tuners and see which one dialed in best to my liking before getting any more.

Just my .02

Old 09-10-2018, 11:12 AM
MiamiPSD
Senior User
Brian42......Thank you for your input and it does make a lot of sense about only using 2 or 3 tunes and going out experimenting with different tuners.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.