Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Service AdvanceTrac, Hill Start Assist Not Available and Hill Descent Control Fault messages.

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service AdvanceTrac, Hill Start Assist Not Available and Hill Descent Control Fault messages.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:23 AM
swlakingranch
Senior User
swlakingranch is starting off with a positive reputation.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:40 AM
swlakingranch
Senior User
I have been having the Service AdvanceTrac, Hill Start Assist Not Available and Hill Descent Control Fault messages pop up in the instrument cluster lately. All 3 lights show up at the same time, and timing seems to be completely random. The lights do now seem to be showing up more frequently. I can hit the ok button to dismiss the message but the traction control light will remain on until the truck is turned off. When I restart the truck no lights or messages present, this might be for 10 miles maybe 3 days it just comes and goes. I have tried to check for diagnostic codes while the traction control light was on with my ezlynk tuner, but no codes were found. Has anyone had similar issues?

Old 09-07-2018, 07:36 AM
nuctrooper
Elder User
nuctrooper has a good reputation on FTE.nuctrooper has a good reputation on FTE.
This is indicative of water intrusion into an electrical connector back by the spare tire. It is a grey long rectangle connector on the passenger side of the spare, with about 20 or so wires passing through it. With the truck off, pull the connector apart, clean it with a rag, blow dry with compressed air (if you have it), put dielectric grease on both sides of the connector, and put it back together. You can find dielectric grease at any auto parts store, Walmart, etc.
This has fixed many here on the forums (including mine). If it persists, take it in and have the dealer replace that connector.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:05 AM
swlakingranch
Senior User
Originally Posted by nuctrooper View Post
This is indicative of water intrusion into an electrical connector back by the spare tire. It is a grey long rectangle connector on the passenger side of the spare, with about 20 or so wires passing through it. With the truck off, pull the connector apart, clean it with a rag, blow dry with compressed air (if you have it), put dielectric grease on both sides of the connector, and put it back together. You can find dielectric grease at any auto parts store, Walmart, etc.
This has fixed many here on the forums (including mine). If it persists, take it in and have the dealer replace that connector.
I will give this a try this afternoon. Thank you

Old 09-07-2018, 08:09 AM
Sonny Crockett
Senior User
Sonny Crockett is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did you lift your truck? I had the same issues. I'm not sure which bolt it was but the dick who put on my lift forgot to torque a major bolt in the steering system and it started throwing those exact codes. Once the bolt was tightened all was good.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:32 AM
swlakingranch
Senior User
I did lift my truck recently. Is there anyway you could find out what bolt was loose?

Old 09-07-2018, 08:41 AM
swlakingranch
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sonny Crockett View Post
Did you lift your truck? I had the same issues. I'm not sure which bolt it was but the dick who put on my lift forgot to torque a major bolt in the steering system and it started throwing those exact codes. Once the bolt was tightened all was good.
Does your truck have the adaptive steering? My truck does not. I don't know if that could make a difference.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:15 AM
Cowboyedup
New User
Cowboyedup is starting off with a positive reputation.
I took my 2017 truck in for this exact problem, they had to replace the clock spring in the steering. Drove several thousand miles since the new spring it has not reappeared. .

Old 09-07-2018, 09:41 AM
swlakingranch
Senior User
Originally Posted by Cowboyedup View Post
I took my 2017 truck in for this exact problem, they had to replace the clock spring in the steering. Drove several thousand miles since the new spring it has not reappeared. .
Thanks for that info. I am going to try the harness near the spare tire fist. I guess if that don't fix it I will have to bring it in to the dealer.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:33 AM
Sonny Crockett
Senior User
Sonny Crockett is starting off with a positive reputation.
Codes

It's the Pitman Arm bolt.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:00 AM
swlakingranch
Senior User
I cleaned the harness by the spare tire and applied some Di electric grease, but did not solve the issue. Hopefully the dealer fids the issue and repairs it quickly. Will update after the trip to the dealer.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:42 PM
Braddvm
New User
Braddvm is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've had this same issue on a 2017 King Ranch I bought used with 3,500 miles on it. It's been in and out of the dealer 4 times going on 47 total days and counting. The dealer and ford engineers can't seem to find and correct the issue. Hopefully yours isn't an easy fix!

Old 09-10-2018, 08:57 PM
Ryno1
Freshman User
Ryno1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Same issue here and mine is lifted as well so curious to see the results.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:02 AM
swlakingranch
Senior User
Originally Posted by Braddvm View Post
I've had this same issue on a 2017 King Ranch I bought used with 3,500 miles on it. It's been in and out of the dealer 4 times going on 47 total days and counting. The dealer and ford engineers can't seem to find and correct the issue. Hopefully yours isn't an easy fix!
Why would you hope mine isn't an easy fix? I hope they get yours fixed up soon.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:08 AM
swlakingranch
Senior User
[QUOTE=Sonny Crockett;18182226]It's the Pitman Arm bolt.[/QU
I checked the nut on the pitman arm last night and it does seem to be a little loose. I read on Powerstroke army that on the previous generation super duty's that the nut was a one time use part, could not find 2017+ specific info. I ordered a new nut to replace the existing one from the local dealer. Should come in today, will update when I get it on.

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.