Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IDM harness injector 4 open circuit

Old 09-06-2018, 09:59 PM
akorcovelos
Elder User
akorcovelos is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question IDM harness injector 4 open circuit

Short summary: replaced IDM last fall, found chaffing on the wires at the 42 pin connector rubbing on the valve cover. Truck ran great until last week. Parked it running fine, sat for a week and now the left bank of injectors isn't firing, failed buzz test. Continuity of the UVCH is good, was replaced last summer when I did injector o-rings and VC gaskets. VC gasket connector has continuity as it should.

Performed the IDM harness test and got normal power feed (test 1) on all injectors except #4 which was open, and #1 which ohm at 4.2. #1 is out of range but passes the buzz test. Obviously #4 is the problem, but I can't find any damaged wiring between the IDM and injector 4....

Also found left bank power feed to injector ground shield (test 3) 14.25 ohm.

I'm following the test procedure here: GB Remanufacturing - Tech Bulletin #103

I can't find a pin out on the 42 pin connector to check resistance between the connector and the IDM, and the connector and the injector to narrow down the location of the fault. Is there a way to test the injector solenoid?

Just looking for some suggestions on where to look. Capable with a DMM so let me know if there are other tests I should be running.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:40 PM
akorcovelos
Elder User
akorcovelos is starting off with a positive reputation.
well, I'm figured out why I was getting open circuit on inj 4...I didn't fully plug it back in after pulling the UVCH to test it. Once it was hooked back up everything tested within spec, so it's the RAE IDM I bought 1 year and 5 months ago....guess that's why they only offer a 1 year warranty. Glad I didn't cough up for the high output IDM for twice the cost of the OE reman. Guess I'll be ordering another one to get the truck back on the road. I'll report back once I get the new IDM back in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.