Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 10 speed transmission problems

Old 09-06-2018, 08:39 PM
Fix or Repair Daily
New User
Fix or Repair Daily is starting off with a positive reputation.
2018 10 speed transmission problems

I have a 2018 2.7 with the 10 speed transmission with 1500 mi, and I have regrets. Turning left in a 4 way stop, it slipped out of gear in the middle of the intersection. I gave it gas and it went nowhere. After about 5-7 painful seconds it slipped back into gear. I dropped it off at the dealer (no loaner given) and so far they can't find anything wrong, and no code was thrown. I don't know my next step, but will probably contact Ford and register the issue at a higher level. If I could turn the vehicle back in I would, and I will request that. I cannot trust a vehicle that unpredictably slips out of gear. I'm sure there's nothing I'll be able to do, maybe I'll see if I can still get an extended warranty. For me, this was a big purchase and I saved for years to buy this truck. So disappointed, have to drive around with a nagging worry, puckering every time I pull out in traffic. I will keep you posted about how Ford treats me on this.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:45 AM
tseekins
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Fix or Repair Daily View Post
I have a 2018 2.7 with the 10 speed transmission with 1500 mi, and I have regrets. Turning left in a 4 way stop, it slipped out of gear in the middle of the intersection. I gave it gas and it went nowhere. After about 5-7 painful seconds it slipped back into gear. I dropped it off at the dealer (no loaner given) and so far they can't find anything wrong, and no code was thrown. I don't know my next step, but will probably contact Ford and register the issue at a higher level. If I could turn the vehicle back in I would, and I will request that. I cannot trust a vehicle that unpredictably slips out of gear. I'm sure there's nothing I'll be able to do, maybe I'll see if I can still get an extended warranty. For me, this was a big purchase and I saved for years to buy this truck. So disappointed, have to drive around with a nagging worry, puckering every time I pull out in traffic. I will keep you posted about how Ford treats me on this.

Welcome to FTE.

Sorry to read of your issues with your truck. No one here is fond of reading things like this. But I do have to say one thing to you, I'd strongly recommend that you re-register and change your user name. I totally get that you're upset right now and for good reason, but, your user name is inflammatory and designed to get you a level of attention that is not useful or pleasant.

When you take it in for service on the transmission, DO NOT allow the service writer to close the work order. Keep it open until it's fixed. Keep complaining and if need be, find another dealer who will may be able to assist you better.

Please follow my recommendation, stick with us and keep us in the loop.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:37 PM
RandyinTN
Junior User
RandyinTN is starting off with a positive reputation.
Join the club bucko. My F150 has been in the shop THIS time for 23 straight days. At this point I doubt Ford has the ability to fix it.

PS, No loaner for me as well.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:11 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader
sky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputation
Sounds more like a computer issue than a mechanical issue. The computer must have told it to go into neutral mode for some reason. I have driven several of my company 10 speed F150 pickups and I like them all, except do find first thing in the morning when cold the computer takes a long time to tell it to go into gear if going from drive to reverse, or the opposite way reverse to drive. Just wait 2 seconds and it will engage and go, but after driving it around for 5 minutes that goes away and the computer seems to have fully woken up and shifts it into gear almost immediately. These new F150 trucks have some many computers and they seem to need a learning curve on how to talk to each other. Hopefully in this case yours have learned to communicate and it may never happen again. If not maybe it will enter as a traceable error next time it does this. Lets just all hope that its learning is done. As a follow up question what transmission mode were you in when this happened? I'm just curious is all, I personally like sport mode, the computer seems a lot more communicative than it is in normal or eco mode.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:26 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.
Welcome to FTE. So long as your truck is within factory warranty you can purchase an extended warranty. I suggest you do as tseeking. said above. Document everything. Drive defensively and avoid situations where a "power failure" situation would put you in peril. And by all means, be a good contributing member and keep us informed.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:20 PM
Kingofwylietx
Elder User
Kingofwylietx is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Kingofwylietx is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by sky Cowboy View Post
Sounds more like a computer issue than a mechanical issue.
Do the 2018's not have the mechanical shift linkage? If they have it, how will the computer put it into neutral?
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have the mechanical linkage since I believe the new Navigators have the round shift **** that you turn....so I assume those are computer controlled.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:17 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx View Post
Do the 2018's not have the mechanical shift linkage? If they have it, how will the computer put it into neutral?
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have the mechanical linkage since I believe the new Navigators have the round shift **** that you turn....so I assume those are computer controlled.
The trucks do have a mechanical linkage, however the PCM can command neutral. These transmissions are fully electrically controlled. As a safety feature if you apply the brake while moving the throttle is cut and trans goes to neutral. I had a issue with my boot hitting the gas and brake at speed causing neutral. This isn't new and goes back to 2011.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:31 PM
sddesigns
FTE Chapter Leader
sddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputation
wrong post

Old 09-14-2018, 08:00 PM
Xsuperdutyfan
Senior User
Xsuperdutyfan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well just traded my 2017 F-250 for the 2018 150 with 10 spd hope I dont regret it.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:01 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader
sky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputationsky Cowboy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
The trucks do have a mechanical linkage, however the PCM can command neutral. These transmissions are fully electrically controlled. As a safety feature if you apply the brake while moving the throttle is cut and trans goes to neutral. I had a issue with my boot hitting the gas and brake at speed causing neutral. This isn't new and goes back to 2011.
Oh good so it isn't just me who has done that lol.
i did it again last winter wearing big snow boots, punched the gas and also hit the brake pedal and into neutral it went for a few seconds.

And correct about a computer getting the final say in what gear the transmission goes into regardless of the lever position chosen.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:05 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by Xsuperdutyfan View Post
Well just traded my 2017 F-250 for the 2018 150 with 10 spd hope I dont regret it.
Some do have issues for sure.
But I think far more like them than don't like them.
Remember on a forum far more join because they have a problem, than join just to say they are happy.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:02 PM
2.7EcoBoost
Junior User
2.7EcoBoost is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wouldn't drive in fear because I had something happen one time. Maybe you bumped the brake or maybe it was fluke that will never happen again? I surely wouldn't create a username slamming the brand based on one said incident. Loaners are a dealer convenience and if you bought from that dealer and they don't give you a loaner I'd suggest not buying there again. Any reputable dealer provides a loaner to it's customers. Yes you can extend the warranty right thru ford.com as long us you're still under the factory warranty.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:07 PM
2.7EcoBoost
Junior User
2.7EcoBoost is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by sky Cowboy View Post
Some do have issues for sure.
But I think far more like them than don't like them.
Remember on a forum far more join because they have a problem, than join just to say they are happy.
You aint kiddin'! I was a service manager at a small Ford dealership several years ago. If 98 out of 100 customers were happy with us, maybe 5 of them would send the little survey cards back in to Ford. The 2 that weren't happy (even if it wasn't our fault) would send the card back in with a 2 page letter attached wanting someone fired. I really learned to dislike people for a while...

Old 09-15-2018, 04:44 PM
TJReams
Elder User
TJReams is a name known to allTJReams is a name known to allTJReams is a name known to allTJReams is a name known to allTJReams is a name known to allTJReams is a name known to all
As you can see at the bottom of my post I have been driving Fords for a long time racking up as much as 350,000 on several. Did I have some problems sure, but mot many even on the high mileage trucks or I would have traded them off. Posting the user name you have is going to cause you problems. I have seen much more severe problems by several people. but if you feel that way go to another brand. My Son in law drives a Ram truck and it has been in the shop almost 50 percent of the time he has owned it. A brother in law has 2 Nissan Pickups my sister drives one and he drives the other and his has spent 7 months out of the year he has owned it in the shop and is currently in the shop again. my sisters truck has only gone in for oil changes and other scheduled maintenance. Hers is a 2016 his is a 2017. same exact model, so go figure!

Old 09-16-2018, 04:25 PM
mptoledo
New User
mptoledo is starting off with a positive reputation.
There is a TSB out for 2018's Of course my shop had no record of it or couldn't find it. Plus I wasn't to comfortable with them after they mentioned frying a few modules last time a tsb lke that came out

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 2.7L/3.5L/5.0L Engine And 10R80 Transmission - Harsh/Bumpy Shift And/Or Engagement Concerns - Built On Or Before 15-May-2018
182274 07 September 2018
Model: Ford 2018 F-150
Issue: Some 2018 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 2.7L, 3.5L or 5.0L engine and 10R80 automatic transmission and built on or before 15-May 2018 may exhibit harsh/bumpy upshift, downshift and/or engagement concerns. Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition. Warranty Status: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
Labor Times
Description
Operation No.
Time
2018 F-150 2.7L/3.5L/5.0L: Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
182274A 0.3 Hrs.
Repair/Claim Coding Causal Part: RECAL Condition Code: 04
Service Procedure
1. Check the vehicle build date. Was the vehicle built on or before 15-May-2018? (1). Yes - reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) using the latest version of the appropriate Ford scan tool. • NOTE: ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS. (2). No - this article does not apply. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-01 for normal diagnostics.
2018 Ford Motor Company All rights reserved. NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do
Page 1 of 2
9/10/2018http

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: