Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shimmy, Shake and a Wobble

Old 09-06-2018, 02:59 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Shimmy, Shake and a Wobble

Front end has an issue, it wobbles. I'm not sure which side it is but the left side is about 20* hotter than the right but the truck pulls to the right worse than it used to. It always drifted a little to the right but nothing serious. It does not seem to be a disc brake warp. I'm thinking that all that's left is hub(s). Is there a way to check them or just rip them apart and see what I find?

Thanks.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:16 AM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Anybody? I'll be digging into this today and any insight would be great.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:52 AM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
No help with this??? I got the left front hub off. When removing the wheel the tire had an obvious high spot where it hit the floor and wouldn't spin past that point. I was fortunate enough to have it jacked up just right for that to happen. The snap ring inside the hub was not fully seated where the holes in the ring are, I don't know if that was mechanic's error or if something pushed it out. The needle bearings are not shot but could use some grease and the hub itself seems to spin OK. Any insight on what to check? I'm not finding that needle bearing on NAPA's website so I'm guessing it's not replaceable on its own?

Old 09-07-2018, 11:05 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputation
The needle bearing is in fact replaceable... the part number is in the excursion forum tech thread.

on rotor hotter then then the other is a sure bet you have a pin sticking on the caliper.

the shimmy can be caused Bynum any worn or loose suspension other steering g part burn 80% of the time it is in the wheel or rim. Need to check both lateral and radial runout as just having them balanced does not always fix it.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:59 AM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
I'll check out the caliper on reassembly, it turns out that the tire is the culprit. It's due for replacement and just insured that it'll be done before first snow. I haven't had one do that before.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.