Big green finally gets the love - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Big green finally gets the love

Old 09-06-2018, 08:07 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Posting Guru
Jarrett Campbell is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Big green finally gets the love

Hey guys,

I usually stick around the OBS power stroke forum but I snoop a lot of these threads when I'm bored and wanting to learn a little about these old trucks. So here's the back story on my truck. I was single, working in Western Oregon (Roseburg) for three months straight, and taking home a pretty good salary + per diem. Needless to say, I was bored and had a significant amount of play money.... So what did I do? I got on Craigslist and bought a truck!!! Here's what it looked like the day I bought it:

1976 F250 with a 360 (seller claimed 390... haven't verified), NP435 and 205 divorced, 4.10 gears.

We resealed the intake manifold and made a tow bar for it, and I flat towed it all the way back to Texas once the job was over. After that, I registered and insured the truck and drove it whenever I was feeling like rowing the gears or if a friend was borrowing my more reliable power stroke. Three years later, I haven't really done anything to it besides the minor fix here and there, like a new ground wire for the battery, some wiring stuff in the cab, and some new rims and tires (off a parts truck).

This is about to change!! I finally have the power stroke where I want it, and i can now aim the buck$$zuka at the old guy. I want to take care of the axles first since they both leak, and then tackle the engine this winter. I am thinking that I will pull it for a full reseal and new cam/lifters/push rods,etc. I know the truck burns oil, so I might end up having to do a bottom end, but I really hope not. I haven't ever done that kind of work and it is kind of intimidating to me. I guess we will see.

Here's the cam/kit I found:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k33-222-3

I would be doing head gaskets and a full inspection of the pistons/rings/etc. Also, the plugs, wires, distributor, etc. I don't even know if it is points or not... Like I said, I haven't had to do anything to the truck since I bought it since it's always started up on the first crank and ran like a champ!

So anyway, I will be posting pictures as this process goes along. It's going to be a little slow moving but once the axles are done and I get all the parts ordered for the engine, I'll definitely be leaning on some guidance from you gurus on making this thing good for another 40 years of service!

Bonus pic!

Old 09-06-2018, 02:34 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Posting Guru
So for the rear, I need new axle seals. How many am i needing to completely reseal the thing?? I see this kit.. this should work right? It doesn't say f250, but I am 90% sure I have a D60 rear.

https://www.yukongear.com/productdet...px?ProdID=6782

Old 09-06-2018, 06:59 PM
meangreen92
Posting Guru
meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Nice High Boy! If it's a '76 it didn't come form Ford with points.

What's the original color of the truck?

Old 09-07-2018, 08:00 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Posting Guru
Good to know about the points. Like I said, I have no clue what I'm looking at as far as that kind of stuff is concerned.

I am pretty sure it came green from factory. The interior is all green at least!

Old 09-07-2018, 08:54 AM
FMJ.
Senior User
FMJ. is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.FMJ. is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I like that truck.

For decent pricing and details, try Rockauto :

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...t+bearing,1664

Timken and SKF are good products.

I got the attached some time back after doing a google search. (See top of page 5)

You can search for 60 and 44 more detailed info. ( I found everything I needed for a Dana 70.)

When you are changing the bearings and inner seals, check the axle for 'lips', caused by the seals wearing into the surface.

If there is a lip(s), 'speedi sleeves' are available for a 100% repair.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Dana.pdf (806.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-07-2018, 10:46 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Posting Guru
I just printed off that axle manual!! Thanks!

I'll definitely be looking for any damaged caused by bad seals. I know the front has leaked since I bought the truck, but the rear only started in the last year or so.

I have started the parts list... Not as expensive as my powerstroke revamp but definitely going to be a chunk of change!!

Old 09-07-2018, 11:36 AM
meangreen92
Posting Guru
meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell View Post
Not as expensive as my powerstroke revamp
You say that now...

Old 09-07-2018, 01:13 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by meangreen92 View Post
You say that now...
Unless I get pretty heavy into machine shop work, it'll take a lot of go fast parts to get up to what I put into the powerstroke. Injectors for that sucker were 1300 by themselves... Add to that the RSK, HD trans, tuner, tunes, front axle, rear axle rebuild, etc etc....

The goal for the green truck is a turnkey fun truck that I can drive to church on the weekends or trailer to the mud park and tear up some trails. I don't want a restoration, just a solid, dependable truck. I don't plan to do anything to the exterior/interior of the truck at all... All my efforts will go into drivetrain and I'll be done.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:14 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Posting Guru

Bonus Pic!

Old 09-07-2018, 03:48 PM
FMJ.
Senior User
FMJ. is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.FMJ. is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Haha, that truck just screams fun.

I agree with you on doing nothing to the body. It looks mighty fine the way it is.

Hmmm, I can picture you at confession on a Sunday morning. LOL

Old 09-08-2018, 08:37 PM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud of
So you won't make the interior somewhat comfort oriented for the other half? Door seals for wet weather? Sealed floor for warmth? Other than those things, you should be solid. This is gonna be fun to watch!

Old 09-10-2018, 07:57 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Posting Guru
FMJ, Thanks man! There was one time I drove it to chruch, and when I started it up after the service, an older man was walking by and said "America F-Yeah!" I laughed and gave her the beans leaving the parking lot.

Byron, I agree that the truck should be as "other half friendly" as possible, but that will come after I get it mechanically sound. In fact, I think I will redo the interior of the power stroke before I touch the interior of the green truck. I'll get it dialed in and nice and purdy one day!

So anyway, I spent a few hours on Sunday working on the truck and hit my first snag... You need the axle nut to pull the drum!!! I would have known this from research (if I had done any) and it set me back an hour while I tried to source one. Apparently 2 9/16" axle nut sockets are special order in Williston automotive stores. Also in case someone ever needs to know, you can use a 2 3/4" socket on a 2 9/16" nut.

Gross!!!!! This is when I realized I need to replace the brakes too.

Another shot of the crusty

How I pulled the leaking seal that is causing all this mess...

New looks so much nicer!!

So anyway, I got all the stuff I'm going to be replacing off the passenger side, and started on the driver's side before it was time for dinner. I'll be changing the brake shoes tonight and hopefully buttoning it all up so I can close the garage door tonight!

The seal is very easy to change out once you figure out what the heck you're doing. Probably a 20 minute job as long as you have all the tools and the brakes aren't soaked in oil and need replacement.

More updates and pictures tomorrow!

Old 09-10-2018, 08:47 AM
FMJ.
Senior User
Your older man at church story made me laugh out loud.

I soon stopped laughing when I saw your brake pictures.

I detest that whole brake setup.

I've just spent about 50+ hours in the past week doing research on how to convert a '79 F350 Dana 70 dually to disc, and I think I've just finally cracked it.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:15 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud of
Nah, just spray some Brake Cleaner on it and your good to go! $1.98 a can from Wally World.

You should have called me. I could have told you that...LOL!

Old 09-10-2018, 11:41 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Posting Guru
Ha byron, like I said in the text, I would prefer to keep my grill out of everyone else's tailgate so I will be replacing brakes. Maybe even the rear cylinders too while I'm in there.

FMJ, I briefly thought about doing a disc swap on my powerstroke but realized that I would be spending a LOT of $$ and time to get a little better braking and easier service. Not worth it to me, but I don't tow every day so I really don't need the extra braking ability.

Off to the store to try and find parts and that dang socket!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.