5th wheel hitch placement

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 07:51 AM
eurojet
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th wheel hitch placement

Good morning
I have a question about 5th wheel hitch placement and the effect it has on the tow vehicle . I am not going to get into vehicle specifics as to not open a can a worms. Just looking for thoughts

I am using a Curt custom fit rail kit with a B&W 16k patriot hitch. The curt places the king pin center line 2.006" ahead of the axle center line and I have hitch set to closest to the cab( you can be 0",2",4" away from the cab) so with mine set at 0 I am at 2.006" ahead of the axle. The hitch head pivots left and right and up and down , but I still have some bounce in the front end of the tow vehicle.
Would moving the center line of the kin pin back 2" so that it places it over the axle directly instead of 2" forward effect it in a way to possibly stop some bounce ? ( this is more of a physics type question ,that I am not sure of the answer)

Thank you in advance

Old 09-05-2018, 08:13 AM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 527 Likes on 297 Posts
I think you also need to be concerned about clearance between your 5er and the rear bumper/tailgate.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:34 AM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
I agree with acdianbob about clearance issues on the tailgate but also watch out for the corner of the cab. You didn't say if you have short or long bed.
I don't think moving the hitch that much will affect the ride one way or the other.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:36 AM
eurojet
Freshman User
6.5' box with radius nose cap , 0 clearance issues

Old 09-05-2018, 10:05 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you weighed your truck and trailer? If you have accurate weights and a few measurements I can calculate how it will change the weight on the axles. (Assuming equal loading drivers side to passenger side and equal weight on the trailer axles) I have a file I am currently working on to calculate this for my truck and equipment trailer.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:29 AM
eurojet
Freshman User
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
Have you weighed your truck and trailer? If you have accurate weights and a few measurements I can calculate how it will change the weight on the axles. (Assuming equal loading drivers side to passenger side and equal weight on the trailer axles) I have a file I am currently working on to calculate this for my truck and equipment trailer.
I may just take you up on the offer , Im possibly hoping to try and get it weighed tomorrow , depending on work schedule , Heading out this weekend for maybe the last trip of my season
there are some other things I am thinking that might cause what I am experiencing, but a I am going to try and catch it on video for a better explanation , if the weather hold out

thanks for every ones input

Old 09-05-2018, 11:43 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,629 Likes on 2,731 Posts
I don't have a fifth wheel so take my comment with that in mind...

If your front shocks/springs are weak (or simply not rated for the amount of pin weight) then putting more weight on the front axle could increase bouncing. Shifting the hitch rearward should reduce that some.

Could the bounce be from the trailer itself? Something in the trailer's pin box.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:25 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
I'll guess you have about 10% of the pin's weight on the front tires so I doubt if moving the pin will make much difference. Perhaps your front end is somehow overloaded, wrong tires, underinflated tires or worn shocks. I think your hitch is properly located, and for me moving it would be the last thing I'd try...unless you just want to move it and see what happens for fun.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:27 PM
eurojet
Freshman User
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I don't have a fifth wheel so take my comment with that in mind...

If your front shocks/springs are weak (or simply not rated for the amount of pin weight) then putting more weight on the front axle could increase bouncing. Shifting the hitch rearward should reduce that some.

Could the bounce be from the trailer itself? Something in the trailer's pin box.
I know that the way the hitch is set up, lowest setting( to make trailer sit level and closest to cab) when I move the hitch head front to back to does contact the cross support of my hitch base , so I am theorizing that instead of the head compensating for this back and forth movement , when it contacts the support , it has no where to go and transfers that movement to my truck.
I do have Bilsteins shocks in the rear and air bags ( to help level only , not for payload improvements) when I hitch up the trailer and before the bags are inflated , I dont see a drastic change in front wheel well height. I will hit the scales as soon as I can

it does bounce with just me in it
Other then this bounce ( not constantly happening just annoys me when it does.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:31 PM
eurojet
Freshman User
Originally Posted by '65Ford
I'll guess you have about 10% of the pin's weight on the front tires so I doubt if moving the pin will make much difference. Perhaps your front end is somehow overloaded, wrong tires, underinflated tires or worn shocks. I think your hitch is properly located, and for me moving it would be the last thing I'd try...unless you just want to move it and see what happens for fun.
Shocks are new (only 13000 on the truck ) tires I run a bit more air in them

I'll weigh it to see and will explain more of my weights

Old 09-05-2018, 02:50 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by eurojet
I may just take you up on the offer , Im possibly hoping to try and get it weighed tomorrow , depending on work schedule , Heading out this weekend for maybe the last trip of my season
there are some other things I am thinking that might cause what I am experiencing, but a I am going to try and catch it on video for a better explanation , if the weather hold out

thanks for every ones input
I just tried it with 3150 lbs of tongue weight and my truck dimensions. Going from 2" in front of the rear axle to 2" behind it only changes the front axle weight by about 75 lbs so I doubt it would make much difference. Granted I am only thinking about static loading it could once springs start bouncing.

Now if I moved my hitch from the gooseneck to the rear receiver it would take 1000 off the front axle and add it to the rear. I was wrong and thought moving 4" would make a couple hundred pounds difference.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:56 PM
eurojet
Freshman User
This is at the front closest to the Cab., it has full travel backwards
so my thought is that when it hits the Front cross piece , it now transfers all that movement to the truck instead of compensating

I have it on the lowest setting due to wanting the trailer to sit level , I have already replaced my suspension equalizer to give me 2" lift , if i have to raise it up to get rid of that bounce , i will just live with it , I like the trailer to remain level, only other somewhat cost affective solution to get more height is to use the lippert correct track system and or 235/80/16 tires which would give me another 1" lift over stock .

Old 09-06-2018, 04:21 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
I see what you mean about the hitch and I still stay the bouncing is caused by something going on up front. One or both front shocks could be defective or that may be the way your truck is.

If the hitch was locked from side to side pivot then yes, the camper will rock the truck side to side as you go down the road. I don't believe you can bounce the front of the truck with what's going on with the hitch.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:59 AM
eurojet
Freshman User
So I wrote to B&W to find out if this could be an issue and this was there reply below , once I get it i will replace and see if issue is gone .
Form submission from: Contact UsDeanWed, 09/05/18 4:32 pmGood afternoon Shawn!

Thank you for your inquiry. We have made a revision to design so that this will not hit the plate. I can send you a replacement plate at no cost if you would provide me with full name and a mailing address.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Have a great day!

Dean

Old 09-06-2018, 09:57 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by eurojet
So I wrote to B&W to find out if this could be an issue and this was there reply below , once I get it i will replace and see if issue is gone .
Form submission from: Contact UsDeanWed, 09/05/18 4:32 pmGood afternoon Shawn!

Thank you for your inquiry. We have made a revision to design so that this will not hit the plate. I can send you a replacement plate at no cost if you would provide me with full name and a mailing address.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Have a great day!

Dean
It will be nice to not have that "clunk" once you install the revised component. When I think about how much leverage the hitch would have to apply (due to its restricted movement) to the truck to bounce the front and not the back of the truck it's hard to imagine this is your issue.

Quick Reply: 5th wheel hitch placement