Need Trailer Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 10:34 AM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I just went through a long winded thread on another forum about St tires. I come from the Goodyear Marathons of which I have burned up two, in 2 years. I wouldn't call them blow outs but the tread has disintegrated from the main tire. I have been lucky every time and not caused a wreck or damage to my trailer. But I have decided to make some changes. I'm not sure yet if I still have confidence in ST tires, but that's for another thread. I seriously considered 16" but fitment will not work at this time. Maybe another time. After all my research I reluctantly stuck with the new Goodyear Endurance Load E's rated for 87mph.....and printed right on the tire...made in the USA! Maxxis were the next in line. But I couldn't get an answer on the speed rating. Although many people had good luck with them it wasn't 'speed rated' over the usual 65mph that most tires have as a maximum so I didn't want to take a chance. Carlisles were next, but made in China made me nervous again. In my opinion the Marathons might be a good tire. They are a Load D. They came with my trailer when I bought it new 2 years ago. I felt the weight of the trailer was too close to the GVWR and at times quicker speeds wasn't a good match for these tires, so I upgraded. I hope it works. I just mounted them yesterday in hopes for one last trip down south before the winter. Hope this helps you guys.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:40 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,667 Likes on 2,740 Posts
Be sure the tire shop balances your tires. I've had a set of tires not get balanced. Apparently the tech thought that trailer tires didn't get balanced.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:54 AM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Be sure the tire shop balances your tires. I've had a set of tires not get balanced. Apparently the tech thought that trailer tires didn't get balanced.
Yes your right Jim. Most people, even in the shops, don't think balancing an rv tire is important. When I dropped my rims off for the swap over I almost had to voice myself to the tech guy about balancing them. He says they don't really balance rv tires, they don't need it. Oh really, well don't balance yours, but I would like mine done, I paid for it! Those tires are just as important to me as my truck tires. I might not be in the trailer to enjoy it while moving but I'm sure the rest of the trailer will like it. It all helps. I'm not a speedster but have on occasion gone into the 70-80mph range just because. Just want to make sure I'm as safe as can be and good to the trailer.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:48 PM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Offering up another option, My buddy owns a business that services trailers. Many of his customers haul horses commercially. He has been installing this tire on his commercial customers for the past year. He says the feedback has been excellent. They are not American made. I installed on my camper but do not have many miles on the tires to comment on how they hold up. The camper does roll much better and seems more stable, with that sidewall and air pressure it should.
All Steel Construction ST - Tow-Master, Trailer Tires

Old 09-08-2018, 02:47 PM
Mickey Bitsko
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
If I were to the op I'd measure for the nearest size LT tire 6 ply and call it a day.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:51 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
I am running USA made good year edurance tires. Holding up well and no fear of blow outs any longer.

At this point with two seasons on them, they are wearing well and holding air good.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:23 PM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Originally Posted by CGMKCM
Offering up another option, My buddy owns a business that services trailers. Many of his customers haul horses commercially. He has been installing this tire on his commercial customers for the past year. He says the feedback has been excellent. They are not American made. I installed on my camper but do not have many miles on the tires to comment on how they hold up. The camper does roll much better and seems more stable, with that sidewall and air pressure it should.
All Steel Construction ST - Tow-Master, Trailer Tires
Wow that seems like quite a tire. Too late now. Going to have to trust in my new Endurance's. But I will keep them in mind.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:20 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Greenball tires are not USA made, so they are already suspect. Sourced from China and india as far as I can tell. Imported to California and then distributed.

I would not trust them.

Endurance is the proper choice.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:16 AM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
After the Goodyear Marathon debacle, I don't trust Goodyear.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:48 AM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
I have been following this guys Blog for a couple of years, He is a tire engineer and has good advice on buying and maintaining tires.

RV Tire Safety

Old 09-09-2018, 10:09 AM
TCNashville
Laughing Gas
Received 170 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by CGMKCM
After the Goodyear Marathon debacle, I don't trust Goodyear.
The Goodyear Marathon and the Goodyear Endurance are 2 different animals. The Marathon is still made in China and the Endurance is USA made. If I were the OP I would go up a load range assuming he's running a D rated tire to an E rated tire. Just make sure the rims/valve stems can handle the 80psi.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:47 AM
barry1me
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im running Rainer STs and had great luck last two seasons. 4 years old and over 8k miles. Still working great. Just for refference my neighbors 5th wheel has had 3 blow outs on 2 year old Carlysle Ultra CRTs Load range e. He owns a camper repair store and said he is going back to good year after two blow outs last weekend. He doesnt tow over 65mph.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:10 PM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Originally Posted by TCNashville
The Goodyear Marathon and the Goodyear Endurance are 2 different animals. The Marathon is still made in China and the Endurance is USA made. If I were the OP I would go up a load range assuming he's running a D rated tire to an E rated tire. Just make sure the rims/valve stems can handle the 80psi.
My point was the Marathons were made in America and was a very good tire. Airstream used only Marathons for a number of years. Goodyear moved production to China and it became a poor tire. Airstream now uses Michelien tires on the large campers. I do not have trust in Goodyear after my three year old Marathons delaminated on my boat trailer. JMO

Old 09-09-2018, 01:40 PM
TCNashville
Laughing Gas
Received 170 Likes on 138 Posts
I understand your point completely and you are correct. Goodyear basically ruined their reputation in the ST market when they outsourced the Marathon to China. The new Endurance is creating a lot of chatter on the RV Forums but I think it's still too soon for judgement. A couple of our friends have them on their campers for about 2 years now and have nothing but great things to say about them. Time will tell I guess.

Old 09-09-2018, 02:17 PM
senix
Super Moderator
I have seen airstream with the goodyear edurance tires again this summer at some RV shows.

Quick Reply: Need Trailer Tires