PATS & Fuel problem Troubleshooting help needed - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

PATS & Fuel problem Troubleshooting help needed

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PATS & Fuel problem Troubleshooting help needed

Old 09-04-2018, 06:58 PM
unleashd
Elder User
unleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
Did you get your code reader yet?

No RPM bounce makes me wonder about the CPS, but I thought that was only indicative of the earlier MY trucks.

Do you have a spare CPS you can try to rule it out?

Stewart
No. I don;t have one. But let me run out to the local Napa store and see if they have one.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:14 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Ford only, or International. No parts store CPS.

Stewart

Old 09-04-2018, 09:58 PM
unleashd
Elder User
unleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to behold
Ford only, or International. No parts store CPS.

Stewart
oh..ok. I picked up a CPS from NAPA. I'll return it tomorrow.

BTW, The 10mm bolt is pretty tight. I sprayed some PB Blaster on it and left it for. But, It looks like the CPS in there was recently installed 'cos that metal bracket was pretty shiny underneath there.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:10 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
ExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant future
I know I'm coming in late, but did anyone mention to unplug your fuel bowl heater? It can cause no start and in some cases shares a fuse with (PCM?)

Old 09-05-2018, 06:24 AM
unleashd
Elder User
Originally Posted by ExPACamper View Post
I know I'm coming in late, but did anyone mention to unplug your fuel bowl heater? It can cause no start and in some cases shares a fuse with (PCM?)
Not yet. Iíll give that a try. Am I just pulling out a fuse? Or any connections?

Old 09-05-2018, 06:28 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
ExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant future
Unplug the plug of the harness connector on the back of the fuel bowl. That's it.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:55 AM
unleashd
Elder User
Here's the list of codes I see on from the instrument cluster dtc. I also have a video of this at the bottom of this long post.PF 3346
SF 0E09
19n In b
r 0503
nr 0503
EE 01
dt 3A94
CF1 69
CF2 80
CF3 00
CF4 00
dtc 9352
dtc d027
dtc d262
dtc d058
dtc d059
dtc 5284
EnG 000
rIC 000
tac ---
F 202
FP 218
239 C
oil 233
--- tF
br 122
batt 11.7
rhEo 00
Prnd FF
Par 9
door 80
Stbt 6
CHE --
PA 80
Pb d3
PE 1C
P6 24
PH 9A
PP 90
P5 8F
P5 9F
Pt 25
PCAn 5F
Ad0 000
Ad1 053
Ad2 057
Ad3 071
Ad4 135
Ad5 239
Ad6 148
Ad7 117

Old 09-05-2018, 07:16 AM
unleashd
Elder User
Also, just to weed out fuse issues, I replaced every one of the 5A, 10A, 15A, 25A, and 30A mini fuses and all 7 relays in the cluster under the steering column. I haven't checked the fuses that I pulled out to find if any of them were blown. The video above was taken after I went through this exercise.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:18 AM
unleashd
Elder User
Did you get your code reader yet?

No RPM bounce makes me wonder about the CPS, but I thought that was only indicative of the earlier MY trucks.

Do you have a spare CPS you can try to rule it out?

Stewart
Stewart,
I haven't received the code reader yet. Amazon posted an update that it was delayed.

The RPM bounce happens when I turn the key to ON. But looking back at that video, I don't see that in that particular instance When I went through the DTC test, the Gage menu did show the RPM bounce as well.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:07 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
For clarification, when we refer to the "RPM bounce" it means the needle bounces because the engine is cranking over, trying to start. It's not any needle movement that happens when you turn the key to the "ON" position without engaging the starter.

Stewart

Old 09-06-2018, 05:07 PM
unleashd
Elder User
As I had said somewhere else also, I learn something new everyday about this truck. Thanks for setting me right Stewart

Old 09-09-2018, 04:10 PM
unleashd
Elder User
Weather has been crappy since yesterday preventing me from working on the EX. Hope to get the CPS replaced tomorrow when its s'posed to stop raining around here.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:54 PM
'88 E-350
Elder User
'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.
Again, when the PATS is in theft protection mode you'll get no tach bounce during cranking so in this case no bounce doesn't mean a bad CPS. If you already bought it then might as well drop it in, assuming it's the good one and not some generic China part.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:36 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Originally Posted by '88 E-350 View Post
Again, when the PATS is in theft protection mode you'll get no tach bounce during cranking so in this case no bounce doesn't mean a bad CPS. If you already bought it then might as well drop it in, assuming it's the good one and not some generic China part.
Ah, this is god to know. I hadn't read this before.

Reps.

Stewart

Old 09-09-2018, 07:52 PM
unleashd
Elder User
Originally Posted by '88 E-350 View Post

I have one of each of these.

F7TZ-12K073-B - Grey
F4TZ-12K073-C - Blue

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.