Tools On Board - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Tools On Board

Old 09-04-2018, 09:15 AM
brandon_oma#692
Posting Guru
brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.
I have one like you linked to. I use a couple ratchet straps to keep it in place and a cable lock do deter lazy thief's. I used it last year with the fifth wheel and clearance was ok but could not turn super tight. I have added a auxiliary tank that pushes the toolbox back and have not used it with the fifth wheel. It only takes a few minutes to remove or put it back on when needed or not. Empty the 9 year old and I can get it in or out. Once I am using the camper less this fall it will be on most of the time. I carry some tools in it but the main use is for groceries and kids backpacks and other stuff to get it out of the cab. Myself + 4 kids and the wife does not leave much room in the cab.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:26 PM
Branford
Freshman User
Branford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Wesley Green View Post
Here's mine

Below the rails so i can toss the shell on it whenever, 28 inches from cab to lock

Holds more than you'd want in your F250 tho. Currently a 5 ton floor jack, 5 gallons of oil and a new filter, 5 gallon jug of diesel, 5 gal of distilled water, 16 gal water/meth, jug of coolant, fuel additives, gallon of simple green, couple different greases, gasoila, ceramic brake lube, mechanics gloves, overalls, paper towl rolls, spare parts, and one of every tool I've ever needed to work on the truck n 5er
I'd get something like this but I need half the space for "other stuff" (fencing). Thanks for all the photos too! I should load mine up and snap a photo as well. That would put things into perspective. It's been raining for a week with no end in sight but I'll add that to my list.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:22 AM
hookd
Senior User
hookd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.hookd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I did a small rubber made box strapped down in the bed under the cover for years in my 2014 short bed but with the 2018 I upgraded to a long bed. I have a roll up tonneau cover so the plan is to add a Highway Products headache rack and cross bed tool box this winter then have a canvas shop cut down the cover length so it covers the open bed. This way you have easy access to the tool box (which you can put allot of other things than tools into), you can still fit longer items (or your fencing) under the box since they don't sit on the floor of the bed, and you still have a weather tight bed when your not towing the fifth wheel. Pictures for example, I have found there is no perfect setup but you have to take what is important to have for your situation and create your own setup. I for one hated rolling the cover back and climbing into the bed of the truck to get to the tool box. Good luck!

Old 09-11-2018, 01:22 PM
Gearitis
Elder User
Gearitis is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Gearitis is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You might want to take a look here: Clicky

Old 09-11-2018, 06:11 PM
Branford
Freshman User
Originally Posted by hookd View Post
I did a small rubber made box strapped down in the bed under the cover for years in my 2014 short bed but with the 2018 I upgraded to a long bed. I have a roll up tonneau cover so the plan is to add a Highway Products headache rack and cross bed tool box this winter then have a canvas shop cut down the cover length so it covers the open bed. This way you have easy access to the tool box (which you can put allot of other things than tools into), you can still fit longer items (or your fencing) under the box since they don't sit on the floor of the bed, and you still have a weather tight bed when your not towing the fifth wheel. Pictures for example, I have found there is no perfect setup but you have to take what is important to have for your situation and create your own setup. I for one hated rolling the cover back and climbing into the bed of the truck to get to the tool box. Good luck!

This is really nice but it won't work with my cover. My cover has a hard top so when it rolls up, it's a big roll up there.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:16 PM
Branford
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Gearitis View Post
You might want to take a look here: Clicky
Score! I really like this idea. I wouldn't really have to mount this one either because the tail gate will hide the doors and the cover will hide it when I'm not hauling. Specifically speaking to this one. I'll have to measure it and make sure the trailer clears (I can't imagine it would be an issue) and it fits in the bed (ditto). Thanks! Anything else along this line would be nice to see. I normally carry my firewood in the rear but that's easy to move up front.

Thanks!!

Old 10-28-2018, 08:16 PM
Branford
Freshman User

TADAA! I scored this box for $400 and it's exactly what I needed. Thanks for all your feedback. Now to find a way to mount it to the truck without drilling into the bed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.