Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cali smog question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 12:25 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I just had the Ex smogged. Good for two more years.

Now I gotta swap out the 6lb pulley on my Lightning and go back to stock so I can pass smog on my Lightning!

Stewart

Old 09-07-2018, 11:56 PM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Unless that pulley triggers a fault code it should pass with it on. If it's an obvious mod then it might fail the visual.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:08 PM
viperman86
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by '88 E-350
Unless that pulley triggers a fault code it should pass with it on. If it's an obvious mod then it might fail the visual.
if the tech goes "by the book" they can fail you if the supercharger pulley is not OEM ....really depends on how smart the tech is

usually pulleys dont come CARB certified

Old 09-09-2018, 06:24 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by '88 E-350
I'm taking all the go-faster illegal stuff and removing it, so it's running on the stock tune, so stock pulley. Although I can cheat and run a 2lb lower while on the stock tune, so I'll probably do that.

Stewart

Old 09-09-2018, 06:24 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
You fellas deal with some crazy stuff out there, good luck to all of you when dealing with that.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:34 PM
viperman86
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sous
You fellas deal with some crazy stuff out there, good luck to all of you when dealing with that.
the worst bull**** you could imagine. I'm glad my 7.3 doesn't need cats.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:39 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
COMING SOON!!!...to a smogshop near you..

Old 09-10-2018, 12:19 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
My current smog challenge is a Porsche 928 with an LT1 motor. It has to go to a "state referee" inspection for extra deep scrutinizing. If it passes it'll get a new emissions sticker, then the bienniel inspections will be done based on the LT1 instead of the car at any normal smog shop.

In a non-communist state the engine swap would be no biggie. What's being emitted from the car is all that should matter, not what kind of power plant is making those emissions. What's really stupid is that if you take out an old carbureted super dirty running engine and replace it with a cleaner EFI one everything emissions related has to meet the requirements of the engine donor car even tho the engine would be cleaner burning without all the extra junk. A post '96 engine makes it even worse because among everything else, the entire fuel system, even the gas tank and cap, has to be OBD2 compliant.

Living here has many challenges.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:33 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Yup, it's just a matter of time for everyone. Even Texas, who I never thought would do this crap, is starting to have emissions on diesels around Austin and bigger city areas. I also found out that the great state of Nebraska is twice the amount to register my wife's car than California. Who would have ever thought? Yeah, we'll wait until we move back at the end of the year to renew her registration. $160 there and $375 here in corn country.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:52 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Perhaps, but I bet it will be a long time before the country and mountain regions of GA see any sort of requirements like these. Go to Atlanta (no thank you by the way) and that is a different story.

Anyway, I wish you all the best of luck with your inspections.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:32 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Im gunna buy up all the pedestals and gt38 turbos and sitback n wait. Just as the same for the ones with black cps's...thats my 401k plan

Old 09-10-2018, 11:12 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
As a gear head it’s easy to ridicule CA until you consider the big picture, I grew up in southern CA in the 70’s when the air was actually orange and as kids we couldn’t go outside on some days and even on the best days if you played hard your lungs would burn. Now as an adult I travel to places like Mexico City and China where the smog is worse then Los Angles in the 70’s. As a human living on this planet I am thankful for what CA has done to reduce smog even though at times it is a total PITA and makes my hobby of building cars more challenging.

Take me a deep breath, if your lungs do not burn you can thank the CA Air Quality Board.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-10-2018, 11:47 AM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
As a gear head it’s easy to ridicule CA until you consider the big picture, I grew up in southern CA in the 70’s when the air was actually orange and as kids we couldn’t go outside on some days and even on the best days if you played hard your lungs would burn. Now as an adult I travel to places like Mexico City and China where the smog is worse then Los Angles in the 70’s. As a human living on this planet I am thankful for what CA has done to reduce smog even though at times it is a total PITA and makes my hobby of building cars more challenging.

Take me a deep breath, if your lungs do not burn you can thank the CA Air Quality Board.
I too remember having to stay in class during lunch time due to smog alerts and cleaner running vehicles are definitely a good thing. The problem is when I can’t legally run a turbo that actually makes my truck run cleaner because of government bureaucracy. The extortion that the aftermarket has to endure in CA is ridiculous! Ever wonder why Banks products are so expensive? I have a family member who retired from CARB and I’ve seen some of the behind the scenes goings on that screams unchecked government over reach.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:32 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Im gunna buy up all the pedestals and gt38 turbos and sitback n wait. Just as the same for the ones with black cps's...thats my 401k plan
I still have 2 or 3 of the original OEM black CPS's.

Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
I am thankful, and I do agree it's helped, however, in my opinion, I still feel it's a money grab because.....

Originally Posted by The Brad
The extortion that the aftermarket has to endure in CA is ridiculous! Ever wonder why Banks products are so expensive? I have a family member who retired from CARB and I’ve seen some of the behind the scenes goings on that screams unchecked government over reach.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If CARB were truly as altruistic as they make themselves out to be, they wouldn't charge a red cent for CARB approved certificate numbers for aftermarket parts. CARB could just have the smog standard set and if your vehicle passes, who cares what engine or what aftermarket parts you have, as long as it burns clean.

Stewart

Old 09-10-2018, 12:51 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Years ago, there was a device call The Tornado. The Tornado fit in the intake tract, just after the air filter and created turbulence in the intake air. The manufacturer applied for and obtained a CARB executive order. CARB concluded that it had ZERO effect on emissions (and performance). The company was able to use the CARB E.O. to market their useless contraption to suckers.

Quick Reply: Cali smog question