Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cali smog question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 10:30 AM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Some areas still pass you with 1 or 2 monitors "not ready". depending on the year and the county. Not sure what Cali does though........

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guidelines allow up to two monitorsto be in a "not ready" state for model year 1996 through 2000 vehicles and one monitor "not ready" for 2001 or newer model year vehicles.

Like someone said earlier most vehicles will be ready in a very short time of driving but I understand some can be difficult

Old 09-02-2018, 01:23 PM
viperman86
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigb56
Some areas still pass you with 1 or 2 monitors "not ready". depending on the year and the county. Not sure what Cali does though........

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guidelines allow up to two monitorsto be in a "not ready" state for model year 1996 through 2000 vehicles and one monitor "not ready" for 2001 or newer model year vehicles.

Like someone said earlier most vehicles will be ready in a very short time of driving but I understand some can be difficult
for diesels 98-06 all monitors must be ready to pass smog

Old 09-02-2018, 02:58 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by viperman86
for diesels 98-06 all monitors must be ready to pass smog

yup, CA adopted this in 2016. Previous to that you could have 1 monitor not ready

Old 09-02-2018, 03:14 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Going back next week. We will see. Don't know why you have to drive any vehicle more then a few miles to get it up to temps to have it pass smog. Now my truck sat over night and oil mitt not been up to temp. But if that's the case, you think they would of told you. Fuel pressure, our PCM does not monitor it. So how do they pick it up? And are we OBDII compliant? I thought not, but that is what he failed. Not trying to argue, I like the feed back. And if it doesn't pass this time, it does have to be something new for sure. I plan to drive it and bring it up to temps this time. This is excellent conversation, and it is what I wanted. Thank you to all. I'll keep you posted for sure.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:39 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Our trucks do not monitor fuel pressure but without proper fuel pressure the injectors do not deliver the amount of fuel that the the truck does monitor, But like I said that will usually set a DTC code... I only included that info in case you were not getting the MFDES that the PCM requires to clear the comphrensive monitor... but it looks like your comprehensive monitor is now ready. Fwiw....the drive cycle is far more detailed then bring the vehicle up to temp. But once the monitor status is “ready” you are go to go for a smog check. Now it is up to the visual portion of the test. Yes our trucks are OBD2 compliant... just in the past it wasn’t fully required. It is now

Old 09-03-2018, 06:18 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Yes our trucks are OBD2 compliant... just in the past it wasn’t fully required. It is now"

I don't understand how this can be when it is in not the design parameters of the truck when it was built. My understanding is that the 7.3 is only partially compliant and that is part of the reason that specialized code readers are necessary to do a complete reading of stored codes.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:47 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

In my opinion they are not completely compliant. They would have to read way more things then they do. But we shall see. If you don't have engine codes, and they can not see tuners then it's up to the smoke test. And mine should pass that. It wasn't till o4 that the PCm would read much more then ours do. If fact, I don't see why they smog ours at all. But that's me. Hope I have good new next week sometime.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:40 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
If fact, I don't see why they smog ours at all. But that's me. Hope I have good new next week sometime.
simple answer....... A**holes rolling coal. They intend to legislate and tax them out of existence.

I’d have to go dig it up but you should see the next round of smog laws due to hit in 2025..... we will be lucky to be burning any diesel.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:00 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo

simple answer....... A**holes rolling coal. They intend to legislate and tax them out of existence.

I’d have to go dig it up but you should see the next round of snag laws due to hit in 2025..... we will be lucky to be burning any diesel.
Annnnnnd this freaks me out just a little. I mean, in all reality, most of us won't own or drive a 7.3 in 2025, but still....just sucks.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:29 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Annnnnnd this freaks me out just a little. I mean, in all reality, most of us won't own or drive a 7.3 in 2025, but still....just sucks.

some of the nonsense but this is GVRW 14,001 +
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01720180AB2940

starting in 2020 fleets can not operate a f250 or f350 older then 2010
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdie...TBFinalReg.pdf

Old 09-04-2018, 02:13 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
In my opinion they are not completely compliant. They would have to read way more things then they do. But we shall see. If you don't have engine codes, and they can not see tuners then it's up to the smoke test. And mine should pass that. It wasn't till o4 that the PCm would read much more then ours do. If fact, I don't see why they smog ours at all. But that's me. Hope I have good new next week sometime.
The fact that most generic scanners won't communicate indicates they're not fully compliant to me, but compliant may be a technicality unrelated to scanners.

There is no smoke test, just a computer scan for readiness and a visual for illegal mods. If it's pumping visible smoke it's a fail, as with any vehicle, but they don't put the sniffer in the exhaust pipe like with pre-2000 gassers. 2000 & up gassers also just get a computer scan. My guy kinda sorta ignores the visuals and just does what's needed to me get a pass without blatantly breaking the law.

All the extra stringent diesel regulations I know of that will put these oldies out of commission are for commercial use. And even among those there seems to be a fair bit of hype. I have customers with old diesel equipment that have thought it'll be their last year in operation for the last 6 or so years. Another customer that bought into the hype bought DPFs for their old trucks, then removed them when he discovered they weren't actually needed. Tho I don't doubt they'll outlaw commercial use, and probably already have in some cases, the chances of the state outlawing personal vehicles is pretty slim.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:38 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
"Yes our trucks are OBD2 compliant... just in the past it wasn’t fully required. It is now"

I don't understand how this can be when it is in not the design parameters of the truck when it was built. My understanding is that the 7.3 is only partially compliant and that is part of the reason that specialized code readers are necessary to do a complete reading of stored codes.
Originally Posted by '88 E-350
The fact that most generic scanners won't communicate indicates they're not fully compliant to me, but compliant may be a technicality unrelated to scanners.
It's a win-win for CA. They do their part for a "cleaner" America and make money. The state can hook up and read monitors if the vehicle has any OBDII capabilities . All they have to do is teach people (and they have) to look under the hood then rev the engine and check how bad the truck smokes. Then the shop charges you...then they pay the state.

There is no smoke test, just a computer scan for readiness and a visual for illegal mods. If it's pumping visible smoke it's a fail, as with any vehicle, but they don't put the sniffer in the exhaust pipe like with pre-2000 gassers. 2000 & up gassers also just get a computer scan. My guy kinda sorta ignores the visuals and just does what's needed to me get a pass without blatantly breaking the law.
I get a smoke (snap) test. No smoke allowed at idle then the tech revs the engine (2-3K RPM) three times. First is a freebie then he/she checks the other two. I'm allowed a "plume" of up to 15ft and it has to clear up in 3 seconds otherwise I fail.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:52 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
There is no smoke test,
It's actually called a snap test, and not all places will do it. Heck, at the same place I've always gone for my trucks, when the diesels first started getting smogged, between two different techs, one tech would do the snap test and the other tech didn't. Now, years later, neither of the techs do the snap test.

Stewart

Old 09-04-2018, 10:54 PM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Thanks for the correction, I found the rules and they do require a snap test. 3 snaps, the first of which can smoke without failing the test. My guy didn't do the snap test or even look at the exhaust at all. I don't know if he doesn't know he's supposed to or ignored it because it's mine. He also failed my buddy's truck for not having a CARB approved intake, but the law allows for ANY air intake/filter system so he's obviously ignorant of the diesel requirements. I did some reading and it also says they're supposed to check for smoke from the crankcase vent, but I assume that's only if it's vented to the atmosphere and not a closed vent like we have.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:38 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Guys, just to bring you up to date, I went to work with my son yesterday and am going to the lake in the morning. It won't be till next week before I bring it back for retest. So I will report back then. Sorry for any buddy waiting to see results. God bless,

Chet

Quick Reply: Cali smog question