Running the numbers on a 2011 F-150. See if I am right? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Towing Forum > Conventional (Bumper Pull) Towing; Travel Trailers & Pop-ups
Reload this Page >

Running the numbers on a 2011 F-150. See if I am right?

Notices

Old 08-29-2018, 06:15 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Benztechnc has a very good reputation on FTE.Benztechnc has a very good reputation on FTE.Benztechnc has a very good reputation on FTE.Benztechnc has a very good reputation on FTE.

Been thinking about getting a camper. Have been looking at light campers. Currently camp quite often using a tent. When tent camping I usually haul my TJ or ATV, when alone, or a whole bunch of kids when not.

Truck Spec:
2011 F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 with 6.5 ft bed.
Payload: 1599 per Sales Lit.
GCVWR 15500, GVWR 8200, Max trailer loaded weight 9600

Load: 2 adults, 3 kids so guessing around 6-700 lbs or one adult and one ATV (again around 6-700 lbs.)
20% tongue weight of a 4000 lb camper would be 800 lbs.

So if I am looking at a 4558 dry\7570 wet, then 20% of the wet weight would be 1514, leaving 85 lbs for the family (based on payload)...

That just doesn't feel right...
Am I doing something wrong?

Old 08-29-2018, 09:17 PM
06pghescape
Senior User
06pghescape is starting off with a positive reputation.
Since i ask the question in your other post. I can see why your not sure about the F150. But if i`m reading this guide correctly your payload is higher than you think. looks to be 2440

http://www.ford.com/services/assets/...stalCode=79705

Old 08-29-2018, 09:30 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
You need to give us some more numbers. What is the GVWR? What is the payload sticker on the door jamb? As I see right now you are out of capacity. Also what is your gear ratio?

Old 08-29-2018, 10:22 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Benztechnc has a very good reputation on FTE.Benztechnc has a very good reputation on FTE.Benztechnc has a very good reputation on FTE.Benztechnc has a very good reputation on FTE.
Ford 390 - Went and checked the door sticker here is what I found.

GVWR 7350, payload of 1563 lbs.
This is a Crew Cab Long Bed (6.5ft) 4x4 with the 3.5 EB. H9 axle, so 3.55 with limited slip. Ford Provides the numbers from the sales lit. as Gross combined of 15,500, and a tow capacity of 9600.

I think all the numbers are good, except the payload. That. I think is the limiting factor.
So both scenario's I've run, which are my most common camping setups. Myself with 1 ATV in the bed. I estimated the atv at 500, though I think it's closer to 600 after looking into it. The other scenario is 3 kids and their mama. I'm estimating the 5 of us at 700 lbs, which may be a bit high. So either way I look at it, payload is reduced to 863 for tongue weight. Now I'm also figuring tongue weight at 20%, due to all the research I've read. I don't really know if that's realistic or safe, but I think safe. There are still options I think, just a lot slimmer to pick from. I can go for a trailer around 3000 lbs. And I have found a bunkhouse <LINK> that will sleep all 5 of us. However, if I can get up to the 4k (dry) mark, well, that opens up a lot of options.

John, The 2440 payload is for the extended cab, or the supercab, not the supercrew. The super crew listed there list 1620).

There are also other options, like drop the ATV off in my buddies Chevy and let him tow it to the parks along with his, and make the girl drive the Prius with the kids... That would drop the 700 or so from the payload, which puts things in an easy place... Heck, I could even get the 89 back on the road with the 460.. but that's not happening for a while...

Old 08-30-2018, 03:19 AM
IMASAP
Posting Guru
IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.IMASAP has a spectacular reputation.
I would use a figure of 13 to 15% for tongue weight.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:25 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by IMASAP View Post
I would use a figure of 13 to 15% for tongue weight.
Agreed, I always suggest folks use 15% of the trailer's GVWR when figuring for tongue weight and buying a WD hitch. 20% is very high for a tongue weight, our TT runs around 17/18% but that TT is pretty ridiculous and nothing like what the OP is looking for. A true tongue weight of 13% should tow very well and keep trailer sway away, a very good target in my opinion, the extra percentage (15%) is just to allow for heavier packing on longer trips.
Benztechnc, be sure to use the trailer's GVWR and NOT the advertised "dry" weight for that 15% tongue weight figure, dry weights mean absolutely nothing and many trailers leave the factory heavier than the stated dry weight.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:04 AM
06pghescape
Senior User
06pghescape is starting off with a positive reputation.
Payload

I thought i read that you were at 8200 GVWR in one of your post , sorry about that . But that door sticker is the controlling factor. My payload is only 1298lbs but since i`m usually the only one in the truck while towing my travel trailer its enough. You probably need to step up to a F350 with all that payload to carry .

Old 08-30-2018, 09:40 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 06pghescape View Post
I thought i read that you were at 8200 GVWR in one of your post , sorry about that . But that door sticker is the controlling factor. My payload is only 1298lbs but since i`m usually the only one in the truck while towing my travel trailer its enough. You probably need to step up to a F350 with all that payload to carry .
Well yeah, an F-350 would surely make for a more capable tow rig but is it "needed" here? I'm not sure that it is.

If you can find a TT with a GVWR of 5,000lbs that would give you a tongue weight of 750lbs using the 15% of GVWR calculation.
You didn't mention your weight, but assuming 200lbs for you and 600lbs for the ATV and the 750 tongue weight your total payload would be 1550 lbs, just below the truck's rated payload. This is where the method of using the TT's GVWR works in your favor as it hopefully wouldn't be packed to max capacity for just you on an ATV trip, so less trailer weight should equate to a bit less tongue weight and more elbow room on the truck's available payload.
With that same 5,000lb TT and 750lb tongue weight and the 700lb family you would be at 1450lbs total payload, 113lbs under the truck's rating. And again anything under the trailer's max weight will open up the difference between actual payload vs truck rating. Also remember that those kids will get bigger over time.
If the real world 5,000lb TT tongue weight can be reduced to the still very stable 13% that would save you 100lbs with the trailer at max weight.
This sounds pretty doable to me for a first TT, after a few years when you upgrade maybe then a Super Duty will be part of the equation.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:40 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
John, That was the number according to the sales literature. Surprisingly, the actual number of the truck was lower. Though I don't know why really, as it's a bone stock XLT package. But that's not for me to worry about. So if I use the 15% calculation instead of 20% that does get me where I want to be. Tom thanks for the insight. I was sure my math was not quite right somewhere. 5000 lbs does seem completely do able.

Oh and as for the new 350 ( or even slightly used) if I had to cover that cost too, then it will be tent camping for me for a few more years, or a motorized RV, which is just yet another engine to care for and maintain. I will shop around some and see what I can find.

Thanks everyone!

Old 08-30-2018, 12:35 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
A good first step would be to get the actual scale weight of your truck to see exactly how much real world payload you have, then work on the numbers from there.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:47 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Tom, I may do that next, if I continue to have trouble locating the right unit under 4K, or 5K based on your numbers earlier. I never did think of GVWR being the max of the trailer, and that it wouldn't honestly be loaded that much. Though I understand it should be used as a safety, not necessarily as a target. Thanks everyone!

Old 08-30-2018, 09:58 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
H9 is 3.73 gear ratio B6 is 3.55. I assume the truck has the off road package?

Old 08-31-2018, 08:22 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
H9 is 3.73 gear ratio B6 is 3.55. I assume the truck has the off road package?
according to Ford, H9 is the 3.55 ratio, B6 is the 3.73.

page 3 of this link: Towing guide 2011

the truck does not have the off-road package to my knowledge.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:50 AM
Screamingbear
Senior User
Screamingbear has a good reputation on FTE.Screamingbear has a good reputation on FTE.
Overload

The limiting factor in towing is almost always payload, regardless of the tow vehicle.
When I had my 2015 F-150 with a 1570 payload towing my travel trailer with 1000 lb actual weight on the hitch i was always over payload. That was OK as long as I was towing on flat straight roads with no wind, an no semi trucks passing me.
If there were any adverse conditions at all (wind etc) I had real problems with stability. The trucks suspension was just too light. Every camping trip was a white knuckle adventure.
No fun at all.
I urge you to pay close attention to your payload capacity and not overload your truck.
This is especially critical for 1/2 ton trucks.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:21 AM
kd0axs
Posting Guru
kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.
Alternatively, you might want to consider a small toy hauler. I've seen some smaller toy haulers with a GVWR around 7000 lbs, or even less in a few cases. Being able to put the ATV in the trailer rather than in the truck bed will reduce the amount of payload you're carrying. You may be able to do this and stay within your payload capacity.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.