Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Bought a 7.3L in MI bringing it back to CA

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 04:27 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't know about CA, but in PA state troopers can invalidate a safety inspection, and possibly our emissions inspection (according to the bung hole who scraped the sticker on my '65 Buick) during a traffic stop. So carrying your own copy of the paperwork might be very helpful.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:54 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintITC
I don't know about CA, but in PA state troopers can invalidate a safety inspection, and possibly our emissions inspection (according to the bung hole who scraped the sticker on my '65 Buick) during a traffic stop.
I've not heard of that happening. Judging by the belching diesels around here I don't think that happens very often 'round these here parts.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:02 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a note to a post above. The AFE Bladerunner is CARB approved and you can get a copy of the stickers from them if you like. That is what I did just in case I got any guff. However, I installed mine before they were approved so I don't know if the later issue systems came with the sticker or not.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:13 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintITC
I don't know about CA, but in PA state troopers can invalidate a safety inspection, and possibly our emissions inspection (according to the bung hole who scraped the sticker on my '65 Buick) during a traffic stop. So carrying your own copy of the paperwork might be very helpful.
No safety inspections in California, and LEO's cannot invalidate the latest smog check the vehicle went through (it's all computer data, no stickers) but they can cite you for too much tailpipe emissions and require you to go through a smog check again to get the citation removed.

Stewart

Old 08-29-2018, 05:13 PM
socal_pzy
Senior User
This is the link for the exhaust.
https://sinisterdiesel.com/i-1977106...luminized.html

Also a link to CAT I was looking at as well.
https://sinisterdiesel.com/i-1951306...ategory:954801

Regarding smog testing/inspection, the truck is bone stock now, but I will work on getting it passed before I worry about any modifications. I'll check under the hood for the CA Exempt Sticker.

Regarding the turbo, if/when it needs to be replaced. Im glad to know I should look into the GTP38R.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:24 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by socal_pzy
Also a link to CAT I was looking at as well.
https://sinisterdiesel.com/i-1951306...ategory:954801
Just FYI, the description in that link tells you right off it's not CARB legal in California.

Meeting the EPA requirement in 49 states, Magnaflow’s catalytic converter has an inlet and outlet of 4” and is 6.5” long. This catalytic converter fits all 5.9L and 6.7L Cummins 2500/3500 Dodge trucks as well as all 6.0L and 7.3L Powerstroke F-250/F-350 Ford trucks.
I'm not saying the tech won't look twice and check to see if it has the markings California says it has to have, I'm just letting you know it's not advertised to pass SMOG in California, so be aware.

Stewart

Old 08-29-2018, 05:39 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
If you are willing to spend that kind of money for an exhaust I would look at Diamond Eye (Ford - 99-03 Super Duty 7.3L - Exhaust - Exhaust Systems - Stainless Turbo Back Exhaust Systems - Riffraff Diesel Performance). You can get a T409 SS system for the same price.

Regarding the turbo, if/when it needs to be replaced. Im glad to know I should look into the GTP38R.
Rebuilding the 38 or getting a 38R are about your only options for passing a smog test without worry. The 38R looks almost identical but has a bigger inlet. Since CA has since given up regulating the kind of intake we use now (the tech told me that as far as he cares I could have bolted a filter to the turbo intake with the green line plugged into it) the new wider intake horn for the larger inlet isn't a tipoff for further inspection and failure.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:53 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Here's an aluminzed setup for you that's a bit cheaper. Diamond Eye 4" Aluminized Turbo Back

Stewart

Edit: I see Brian already linked you to Clay's Riffraff Diesel site. I had too many threads open and by the time I responded to this one, Brian beat me to it.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:22 PM
socal_pzy
Senior User
There were no stickers under the hood talking about CA Compliant or CAT/NON-CAT.

The Build date shows it as 5/98. Didnt know if that had anything to do with in.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:25 PM
socal_pzy
Senior User
Old 08-29-2018, 08:13 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
I'm surprised to see no underhood sticker. AFAIK they all have that sticker. Any chance the hood is a replacement? I'll place a pic of my sticker below for reference. Plan B; borrow a hood.

Walker has a VIN search to determine correct cat for your truck. Here's the LINK. On mine it gave no result, which is correct because my truck does not require a cat. If you need a cat, it must be the right cat to pass smog. In exchange for glorious sunsets caused by wildfires we live with a government where all that is not forbidden is mandatory.

Many of the smog rules are arbitrary and silly. But they are the rules and if the tech fails you, you get no registration. It's that simple.

The guys have lots of good info above. I'll just add the Garrett 38R is not smog legal. It looks very similar and can pass right under a techs' nose, but it is not legal. If I upgrade that's what I'm going to get, and just hope for the best at smog time. "Oh hey, dude, I saw this $100 bill fall out of your pocket..."

Some of the mods you suggested up top are pretty much a waste of money anyway. You can get to 400 hp and pass smog, no problemo. Just have to do it right.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:16 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
My e99 doesn't have an underwood sticker either. I found the valve cover decals the first time I pulled them off and cleaned them

Old 08-29-2018, 08:33 PM
Randyholton
5th Wheeling
I bought my second 02 f3504x4 cclb in the la area and brought it back to Michigan 125000 miles great condition

Old 08-29-2018, 10:06 PM
Njstern87
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
On mine the tech actually cleaned the valve cover to find the sticker. Cat has to be from ford as no aftermarket cat is carb approved...ask me why im considnering a move to arizona...

Old 08-29-2018, 10:30 PM
socal_pzy
Senior User
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
I'm surprised to see no underhood sticker. AFAIK they all have that sticker. Any chance the hood is a replacement? I'll place a pic of my sticker below for reference. Plan B; borrow a hood.

Walker has a VIN search to determine correct cat for your truck. Here's the LINK. On mine it gave no result, which is correct because my truck does not require a cat. If you need a cat, it must be the right cat to pass smog. In exchange for glorious sunsets caused by wildfires we live with a government where all that is not forbidden is mandatory.

Many of the smog rules are arbitrary and silly. But they are the rules and if the tech fails you, you get no registration. It's that simple.

The guys have lots of good info above. I'll just add the Garrett 38R is not smog legal. It looks very similar and can pass right under a techs' nose, but it is not legal. If I upgrade that's what I'm going to get, and just hope for the best at smog time. "Oh hey, dude, I saw this $100 bill fall out of your pocket..."

Some of the mods you suggested up top are pretty much a waste of money anyway. You can get to 400 hp and pass smog, no problemo. Just have to do it right.

400hp and smog proof... wutttt. Im listening. Lol

Quick Reply: Bought a 7.3L in MI bringing it back to CA