Bought a 7.3L in MI bringing it back to CA - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Bought a 7.3L in MI bringing it back to CA

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a 7.3L in MI bringing it back to CA

Old 08-30-2018, 04:08 AM
IDI-Charlie
Posting Guru
IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.
Word of advice: Riffraff. Clay has some of the best prices on parts for our trucks. I got my MBRP 4" system for $270 to my door (About overnight too - Clay and UPS had the hammer down the entire way it seems!).

While I can't say what is and isn't CARB approved, if you keep up on maintenance your stock turbo will be fine for awhile - I rebuilt mine at 356k because it was beginning to get dusted (no excessive play in it). I'm a bit of a 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' kind of guy.

I'm just glad we don't have smog round these parts (yet). My truck would be failed quite fast in it's current state...

Old 08-30-2018, 08:41 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
As long as the truck is stock and has no tuning then it won't be a problem at all as long as there is no SES light. If you stick with a single HPOP then you should be fine (mine looks stock except for a T-500 sticker buried (mostly) under the fuel bowl. A twin setup would net me a failure. A fuel bowl delete would also be a no-no for CA.

I'm not sure what you mean by intake manifold. I'm not sure if the aFe Bladerunner has a CARB OE number or not but that one would be hit/miss. If it has all the OEM connections then it might have a chance.

It's got to look stock or stock enough to not catch the inspector's eye. I'm not sure where you are going to (not all counties are the same) but San Diego County is pretty strict. Not a chance a T4 would pass in my neck of the woods. My visual inspection was about 5 minutes two years ago and this year was about 20 minutes. The tech told me they have classes on a regular basis to teach the older diesels (like the 7.3L) so they know what to look for. I'm too old to try to find another "friendly" shop/tech since mine is not as forgiving as before. When he failed me the first time he showed me some of the high points of what he was looking for (with his high-powered LED flashlight):

- Turbo with Garrett stamped on it
- All the connectors hooked up
- Red and green lines (and hooked up)
- An intake with a commercial filter on it (nothing home-made)
- Fuel bowl
- Other "stock" things (wouldn't divulge any more even though I asked)

I also was "on the edge" with my Snap Test for smoke.

I had to get rid of my Turbomaster Wastegate Controller and have PHP send me a revised tune and I barely passed.

I did find out that any infraction that can be traced back to the shop/technician is a negative mark against them. Only so many are allowed before their certification is revoked. I also learned that a smog shop has to have a minimum number of failures every year to maintain their license.

Lived the dream earlier this year. Here's the test: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17963164

Here's my strife: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17860377 (starts at post #32)

My truck is a CA truck. Open your hood and look up. I have an emissions sticker next to the hood latch hoop. It says that my truck is CA emissions compliant and says NON-CATALYST. If you do not have a sticker that says NON-CATALYST then you need a CAT to pass smog.
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
Not all rigs have them. I had to get one from PartsGuyEd when he was still here, for my 2002 F250 (see the pic in my above post.)

It's more than a few extra bucks, and you can't just use any cat. It has to be a OEM allowed replacement (no aftermarket allowed) otherwise you won't pass.

You may get by with a 38R since it's basically akin to a stock OEM...but that's a big maybe. But any other turbo will get you marked for failure.

Stewart
So then my first question is.....were can I get one of those stickers? LOL......my truck does not have one that says anything about emissions. I guess I need to get my gutted CAT welded back on before we move back in January.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:58 AM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Byron, Did you just say you're moving to back Kommeifornia? That's the equivalent of someone escaping east Germany during the cold war and going back! Don't do it!

Old 08-30-2018, 09:35 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Colorado350 View Post
Byron, Did you just say you're moving to back Kommeifornia? That's the equivalent of someone escaping east Germany during the cold war and going back! Don't do it!
Yeah John, it looks like it. Home is home. I know how to navigate the bullchit though. Not much of a future here in Western Nebraska.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:06 AM
socal_pzy
Junior User
socal_pzy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I feel like there needs to be a list of Cali smog approved upgrades. Plus on the same list parts that are easy to install for E99 7.3L.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:40 AM
socal_pzy
Junior User
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350 View Post
I'm surprised to see no underhood sticker. AFAIK they all have that sticker. Any chance the hood is a replacement? I'll place a pic of my sticker below for reference. Plan B; borrow a hood.
Walker has a VIN search to determine correct cat for your truck. Here's the LINK. On mine it gave no result, which is correct because my truck does not require a cat. If you need a cat, it must be the right cat to pass smog. In exchange for glorious sunsets caused by wildfires we live with a government where all that is not forbidden is mandatory.
Many of the smog rules are arbitrary and silly. But they are the rules and if the tech fails you, you get no registration. It's that simple.
The guys have lots of good info above. I'll just add the Garrett 38R is not smog legal. It looks very similar and can pass right under a techs' nose, but it is not legal. If I upgrade that's what I'm going to get, and just hope for the best at smog time. "Oh hey, dude, I saw this $100 bill fall out of your pocket..."
Some of the mods you suggested up top are pretty much a waste of money anyway. You can get to 400 hp and pass smog, no problemo. Just have to do it right.

So after entering my VIN, the truck never came with a CAT. Which makes sense since its 5/98 Truck.

Looked up the catalog to see if there was a "new approved" CAT that california would accept. But there wasn't anything being offered for the engine.
http://www.walkerexhaust.com/walker-...ex.html#zoom=z

If im reading it right. I may not have to worry to much about the CAT, other then trying to prove this to the smog inspector.

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/support...ion-guidelines

Old 08-30-2018, 10:53 AM
SaintITC
Posting Guru
SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.
Not so sure I'd trust that Walker link. I entered my VIN, and it correctly returned the year/model of my truck with the 7.3, but then there was an additional qualification I had to select which only allowed a non-catalyst option. But I have a cat.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:14 AM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by socal_pzy View Post
So after entering my VIN, the truck never came with a CAT. Which makes sense since its 5/98 Truck.

Looked up the catalog to see if there was a "new approved" CAT that california would accept. But there wasn't anything being offered for the engine.
http://www.walkerexhaust.com/walker-...ex.html#zoom=z

If im reading it right. I may not have to worry to much about the CAT, other then trying to prove this to the smog inspector.

WALKERŪ EXHAUST SYSTEMS :: State Converter Installation Guidelines

I was under the impression that ALL E99's came with a CAT...mine did 8/98.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:59 AM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
...since its 5/98 Truck.
I don't know why you keep referring to your build date, your truck is considered an Early 1999 Model Year build. It's an E99 and there's no changing that.

Like I said, no aftermarket cat is allowed on your truck. Walker is aftermarket.

...other then trying to prove this to the smog inspector.
There's no proving anything to anyone. They have access to a database where they look your VIN up and it tells them if it came from the factory with a CAT. Your "fingers crossed" and wishful thinking is setting yourself up for a bad conclusion if you keep going down this path with blinders on.

Stewart

Old 08-30-2018, 12:01 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
I'll just add the Garrett 38R is not smog legal. It looks very similar and can pass right under a techs' nose, but it is not legal. If I upgrade that's what I'm going to get, and just hope for the best at smog time.
The goal is to be as stock-ish as possible and hope for the best unless it is specifically approved. The 38R looks almost identical to the stock 38. The housing is a tad bit larger but you can't tell that unless you have them sitting side by side. The inlet is noticeably larger wich requires an adapter horn that looks nothing like OEM and that was the killer. Now that just about anything passes for an intake that's not a problem any more as long as you have a wastegate controller with the red line hooked up. Stewart_H has a 38R in two of his trucks so I think it's a pretty safe bet the 38R passes muster during the visual inspection, CARB EO or not.

This is all the smog legal stuff for CA: https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/afterm...ery-091517.php

Most things are not smog legal in CA. ATS has some stuff that I recall along with Banks. Gale Banks got in on the ground floor with this (if it's going to happen you might as well be a part of it) which is why so most of his stuff is on the list.

"Oh hey, dude, I saw this $100 bill fall out of your pocket..."
I've been going to the same shop since all this CA "save the environment" (line their pockets) hullaballoo started. Back then they knew nothing which was good (you could get a lot past them) and bad (they would fail you because they thought they knew the rules even when you showed them the rules and they were wrong). Things have gotten worse for the PMS-ers over the years as they have a continuous training program to familiarize shops/techs with the older stuff like ours. This was the first year that my red/green lines were an issue (pulled them off 5 years ago). They also have to walk a fine line as too many bad marks against them and they are looking for another source of income.

I miss the old days. I remember moving when I was a kid. We had a huge pile of trash sitting next to our trash cans on pickup day. My dad walked out to introduce himself to the trash guys when they pulled up in their garbage truck. They talked for a couple of minutes, gladly accepted the case of beer my dad offered them, then threw everything in the truck and off they went.

Some of the mods you suggested up top are pretty much a waste of money anyway. You can get to 400 hp and pass smog, no problemo. Just have to do it right.
400hp and smog proof... wutttt. Im listening. Lol
I will preface this with the fact you can do anything you want. You just take your wallet into your own hands every two years for the smog check. 20 years ago I would have been all for keeping everything in boxes and swapping it out for the test, but I'm too old to live on the edge like that. If you want to take the time to swap things out for the test then the sky's the limit for you.

Our trucks are only partially OBDII compliant so not everything sets off the SES light which is helpful. Intake and exhaust is pretty lax now which used to be a bear. You can't go crazy with the turbo setup since only the 38R has that OEM look. I don't know how other shops are but mine looks for GARRETT on the housing. Sticks and tuning are at your own risk. My 160/80s sound OEM to anyone else but have a bit deeper tone (at idle I sound like a Cummins with 2 extra cylinders) The key is to get good tuning to pass, especially with a stock turbo. I haven't been popped for my Hydra but I have had my PCM flashed in case I have to pull it. That tune, though, probably won't work as I had to have a specific tune made to pass the Snap Test.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:03 PM
Njstern87
Senior User
Njstern87 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

No VECI sticker on front radiator support.

No VECI sticker on hood

Valve cover sticker on pax side, note the OC code is present on mine

Like previously stated, according to the state of california ALL ford superduty trucks manufactured BEFORE 6/99 that have a 7.3 diesel engine came equiped woth the catalytic converter. It is YOUR job to prove otherwise. All smog techs liscensed in this state will look for a Vehicle Emissions Compliance Information sticker under the hood. Its usually On the radiator support or the hood itself. This sticker will say either Catalyst ir Non-Catalyst. If the sticker is not present than they will look for the engine build sticker on pac side valve cover. That sticker has a section that says emission equipment. If the code OC is displayed, than your truck came with a catalytic converter. If none of those stickers are present the tech will refer to the CARB book, this book lists vehicls, build dates, and emission equipment. This book says that ford trucks with the 7.3 manufactured before 6/99 came with a cat, so unless you have a sticker that says otherwise you will need a cat.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:03 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
So then my first question is.....were can I get one of those stickers? LOL......my truck does not have one that says anything about emissions. I guess I need to get my gutted CAT welded back on before we move back in January.
Ed told me any Ford parts guy can do it, they just may not know they can, or how.

Stewart

Old 08-30-2018, 12:17 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
Stewart has a 38R in two of his trucks so I think it's a pretty safe bet the 38R passes muster during the visual inspection, CARB EO or not.
Three trucks actually, if you allow me to still claim my old 2002 F250 that is now my daughters truck, that I still maintain for her.

Gale Banks got in on the ground floor with this (if it's going to happen you might as well be a part of it) which is why so most of his stuff is on the list.
I read an article highlighting how deeply Gale was involved with which parts were approved (including tuning), to the point he was considered a driving force behind the movement to get diesel engines smogged. I wasn't much of a fan for Banks stuff before (I read he hates Fords anyway), but after reading how involved he was with the emissions stuff and his push for it to happen, I really have no use for him now. I hope he forever gets a lump of coal on Christmas.

Stewart

Old 08-30-2018, 12:49 PM
socal_pzy
Junior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
I don't know why you keep referring to your build date, your truck is considered an Early 1999 Model Year build. It's an E99 and there's no changing that.
Like I said, no aftermarket cat is allowed on your truck. Walker is aftermarket.
There's no proving anything to anyone. They have access to a database where they look your VIN up and it tells them if it came from the factory with a CAT. Your "fingers crossed" and wishful thinking is setting yourself up for a bad conclusion if you keep going down this path with blinders on.
Stewart
I will admit I do have some blinders on. Which is why I joined the forum cause you guys give straight answers.

Im in a position where my grandfathers E99 doesn't have a CAT and I end up asking an 87 year old if he remembers removing it for any reason. Also if he replaced the hood at all.

And Im left thinking what I should do when the truck arrives.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:00 PM
Njstern87
Senior User
Njstern87 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well I would look at bear lake ford or tasca ford parts for a catalytic converter price, than decide if its worth the added cost on top of what you paid for the truck. A 4x4 7.3 up here still brings a nice chunk of change, so look at what a truck like your goes for and make your choices. For me it was cheaper to add a cat than to find another truck in this state..

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.