New or used F150 to pull a travel trailer

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 03:58 PM
misspeabodi
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New or used F150 to pull a travel trailer

Greetings all!

So, I'm going to sell my car and am leaning towards buying an F150. I'm moving across the country and plan to get a travel trailer to live in temporarily for the next year. I plan to get a travel trailer between 20-35ft long, and not more than 5000lbs (not a 5th wheel, just an RV trailer). I have done some research and come to the conclusion that an F150 is consistently reliable as far as what I'm needing it to do. The thing is, I'm not sure about buying new or used. I have good credit and buying new wouldn't be an issue as far as getting a good loan rate, but I don't HAVE to buy new. What concerns me about buying used is what has the truck been used for before me? I'm good to my vehicles and don't want something that pulled something too heavy and then got traded in, or whatever--to me, paying a bit more for something new would be worth it to have the peace of mind for the long run--know what I mean? Then lastly, I'm not sure what engine I really need. Can I get away with a larger V6? Further details of what I'm looking for is listed below. I fully welcome all input and suggestions.

-engine with more than enough power to pull a 4k lb trailer (I read that you should have at least 10% more towing capacity than what you're hauling)
-not a V8 if I can avoid it, since this will be my commuter vehicle as well. Not a far commute, but I think everyone can appreciate good gas mileage.
-I don't need bells and whistles--but should I get something with the tow/haul button feature? I know I don't want or need 4x4 either
-Oh, and I can drive a manual, so that's totally an option if it would be worth it.
-Also, what class of tow hitch will I need? Is this something I should worry about getting with the truck, or deal with it on my own once I buy the trailer?
-And, one more thing, what axel ratio should I shoot for? I read an article that said the higher it is, the more you can tow, but it also decreases gas mileage. So what do you think?

Thanks ahead of time--I'll definitely stay tuned to the responses.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:15 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
With new you have a 3 year warranty, the v6 3.5 eco boost would be a great engine, Make sure you get a brake controller installed.
I think the tow mirrors manual or auto extend are a must for towing. You might want rear air bags or overload springs, depending on
the weight of your trailer. The 36 gallon gas tank is another good option.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:39 AM
misspeabodi
Freshman User
Awesome! Thanks for the input. Great suggestions.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:22 PM
ibdagriz
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I prefer used/single owner if at all possible. Last 4 vehicles have been in this manner and all under 50% of new cost or better. 3 years old, 24-50k on mileage as these will go 250k on motors these days.

I did buy my 2011 SD with 112k miles on it, but it is my "tow only" vehicle and sits when we're not towing the TT. Maybe 5k a year like this on it. $23k out the door 6.2L gas CCSB FX4 Lariat 3.73 gears.

Get one with a tow package, Carfax reports on most cars at dealer/sales lots these days also. Mine did anyway.

Negotiate out the door prices and not payment prices also.

Griz

Old 08-27-2018, 12:56 PM
misspeabodi
Freshman User
Nice! I'm totally leaning toward a used SD as well, gas but with no 4x4. This post helped a lot, thanks for the input.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:04 PM
Juneaudave
Senior User
I suggest that you do a double check on the trailer weight. 4000 or 5000 lbs is pretty light...but when you get above 24 footers I'm not sure that is realistic particularly for a trailer you might be living in.

That said...I wouldn't write off the V8's early in your search. If you can find a nice 5.0...give it a look. The fuel mileage isn't that much worse that the 3.5 V6 and it is a tried and true engine that may be a little cheaper.

Also, I bought my 2015 250 with 38000 miles at quite a discount. Just be sure to do your homework...have it checked out by a mechanic, pull the CARFAX, and give it a good once over on general appearance, needed mainenance and drivability..

Old 08-27-2018, 01:20 PM
misspeabodi
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Juneaudave
I suggest that you do a double check on the trailer weight. 4000 or 5000 lbs is pretty light...but when you get above 24 footers I'm not sure that is realistic particularly for a trailer you might be living in.

That said...I wouldn't write off the V8's early in your search. If you can find a nice 5.0...give it a look. The fuel mileage isn't that much worse that the 3.5 V6 and it is a tried and true engine that may be a little cheaper.

Also, I bought my 2015 250 with 38000 miles at quite a discount. Just be sure to do your homework...have it checked out by a mechanic, pull the CARFAX, and give it a good once over on general appearance, needed mainenance and drivability..

Yeah, I'm going to start shopping used F250s, and I actually just came across one. It's 2010, 250 XL, gas, 4x2 (all what I want as far as fuel and 4x2), 56k for just under $15k. Does this seem too good to be true? Is it so cheap because it's not an extended cab? (see link below) Anything you have to share as far as recommendations on year/specific models of used F250s to shop would be appreciated.

https://www.graydanielschevy.com/Veh...-MS/3275745463

Old 08-28-2018, 09:08 AM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by misspeabodi
Greetings all!

So, I'm going to sell my car and am leaning towards buying an F150. I'm moving across the country and plan to get a travel trailer to live in temporarily for the next year. I plan to get a travel trailer between 20-35ft long, and not more than 5000lbs (not a 5th wheel, just an RV trailer). I have done some research and come to the conclusion that an F150 is consistently reliable as far as what I'm needing it to do. The thing is, I'm not sure about buying new or used. I have good credit and buying new wouldn't be an issue as far as getting a good loan rate, but I don't HAVE to buy new. What concerns me about buying used is what has the truck been used for before me? I'm good to my vehicles and don't want something that pulled something too heavy and then got traded in, or whatever--to me, paying a bit more for something new would be worth it to have the peace of mind for the long run--know what I mean? Then lastly, I'm not sure what engine I really need. Can I get away with a larger V6? Further details of what I'm looking for is listed below. I fully welcome all input and suggestions.

-engine with more than enough power to pull a 4k lb trailer (I read that you should have at least 10% more towing capacity than what you're hauling)
-not a V8 if I can avoid it, since this will be my commuter vehicle as well. Not a far commute, but I think everyone can appreciate good gas mileage.
-I don't need bells and whistles--but should I get something with the tow/haul button feature? I know I don't want or need 4x4 either
-Oh, and I can drive a manual, so that's totally an option if it would be worth it.
-Also, what class of tow hitch will I need? Is this something I should worry about getting with the truck, or deal with it on my own once I buy the trailer?
-And, one more thing, what axel ratio should I shoot for? I read an article that said the higher it is, the more you can tow, but it also decreases gas mileage. So what do you think?

Thanks ahead of time--I'll definitely stay tuned to the responses.
two vehicles you never buy used:

1) sports cars
2) trucks

I think the reason's should be obvious. Also, NEVER, EVER buy a vehicle of any kind that was formerly in rental service. Guys like us rent vehicles so we can do to other vehicles what we'd never do with our own.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:38 AM
misspeabodi
Freshman User
Originally Posted by davidpacificnw

1) sports cars
2) trucks

I think the reason's should be obvious. Also, NEVER, EVER buy a vehicle of any kind that was formerly in rental service. Guys like us rent vehicles so we can do to other vehicles what we'd never do with our own.
Yeah, I'm hip to not buying rentals. I drive them the same way haha

Old 08-28-2018, 01:05 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
Some people only buy used. Some people only buy new. I stick to one of three choices (not in any particular order), buy new, buy used from someone I know well, or buy worn out but rust free and needing rebuilt. Regardless of which of those three choices I go with, I have a good idea of what I'm getting.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:26 PM
ibdagriz
Tuned
Yeah, I'm going to start shopping used F250s, and I actually just came across one. It's 2010, 250 XL, gas, 4x2 (all what I want as far as fuel and 4x2), 56k for just under $15k. Does this seem too good to be true? Is it so cheap because it's not an extended cab? (see link below) Anything you have to share as far as recommendations on year/specific models of used F250s to shop would be appreciated.

The 5.4 is not Ford's best motor and the 5 speed doesn't do it any favors. Try 2011 up. 6.2L is my preference.

In Texas nearly everything is 4x4. My F-250 is also. Took a while to find my wife's F-150 in 4x2 Lariat trim.

Griz

Old 08-28-2018, 02:28 PM
ibdagriz
Tuned

1) sports cars
1969 Boss 429.
https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...tang/100786556
Refurb actually.

Griz

Last edited by ibdagriz; 08-28-2018 at 02:31 PM. Reason: no link
Old 08-29-2018, 07:46 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
... snipped ... two vehicles you never buy used:

1) sports cars
2) trucks

I think the reason's should be obvious.
I have a different experience. I've only bought used for the past 4 decades. I do my research and due diligence and I have never been burned or disappointed. My vehicles regularly reach 500,000 km. or 15+ years and I am still able to sell them for a decent dollar (I do take care of my stuff service and repair wise).

Given you sometimes have no generational history on a new model year purchase, the huge depreciation hit, initial $$$ outlay and/or and on-going financing charges, I would only ever buy used ... wisely of course. I think the reasons are obvious.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:32 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't think the price is that far off. It's not diesel, crew cab, or fourwheel drive. All of which drive up the prices and are very desirable options to have. I can't count the number of people I know that have four wheel drive 'just in case'. Including myself. Also it's the XL package, so very basic as far as amenities. The killer for me on that, though it may have it and just not be listed, would be cruise control. Though I don't know if it is standard equipment now, which would make a lot of sense to me.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:52 PM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It has cruise control according to the dealer's pics. This is a "must have" option for me too.

Quick Reply: New or used F150 to pull a travel trailer