Sponsored by: DP Tuner

how fast should lube oil pressure rise? - lpop concerns after turbo failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 09:25 PM
paulkeith
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Watched my gauge earlier today on first startup..came to life purdy quick. Plumbed into oil bypass filter base...to replace front cover, the motor needs removed cuz it gets buried under the oil pan
could you snag a video?

Originally Posted by '88 E-350
An air test can fool you since air is a hell of a lot thinner than oil, but looking at the air test I'd say that gauge has a restrictor. If it didn't I'd expect it to jump much more quickly. Do you remember if when you turned the motor off if the needle came down slowly, about the speed it would raise after start-up, or did it drop like it did in the air test? If slow, as I'm guessing, it's the gauge and there's probably nothing wrong with your motor. Also remember that the length of hose to the engine will also slow the response and in the air test you're blasting straight to the gauge.
so for the sake of discussion let's say the gauge is slow and the motor is fine. what killed my turbo?

Old 08-28-2018, 10:17 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by paulkeith
could you snag a video?
I just recently learned how to post a pic. Ill never figure out video. Whether photobucket or youtube, not a chance in he$!...pm me ur email, i can forward it to you that way...will have in a.m.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:31 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
could you snag a video?

so for the sake of discussion let's say the gauge is slow and the motor is fine. what killed my turbo?

No clue why the turbo went. I'm just looking to help keep you from possibly undergoing a big un-needed repair. So no answer on the gauge drop speed? That would pretty much tell the tale.

Normally when you start an engine the pressure rises increasingly faster towards the peak pressure and should take a second or two. When you turn it off it should do the same towards 0. If your pressure dropped at about the same rate that it rose it means that there's a restriction in the gauge. If it rises slowly at start up and drops quickly at shut down then there's a pump or engine problem.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:03 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Here's my .02 on the scratch on the front cover. Put the Melling in there and see what you get for pressure build time, If you're happy done....if not, then what are you out by putting it in? A little time? I'd much rather waste the time on the oil pump install than waste the time pulling the motor, changing the cover, and finding out that the pressure build time didn't change.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:37 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
I am not sure what the minimum oil pressure required to run is, but your video shows the gauge pressure at near zero when the engine is already running. That can not be the case as oil pressure is required to fire the injectors.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:01 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
I am not sure what the minimum oil pressure required to run is, but your video shows the gauge pressure at near zero when the engine is already running. That can not be the case as oil pressure is required to fire the injectors.
The LPOP only needs to have a positive displacement to the HPOP....that's where the magic happens as far as the fuel side goes.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:21 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan V
Here's my .02 on the scratch on the front cover. Put the Melling in there and see what you get for pressure build time, If you're happy done....if not, then what are you out by putting it in? A little time? I'd much rather waste the time on the oil pump install than waste the time pulling the motor, changing the cover, and finding out that the pressure build time didn't change.
Hey Dan, won't this damage the new LPOP? I thought I had heard both have to be babybutt smooth? If not, good for this guy cuz pulling the motor is not gonna be fun, even though it's not that difficult.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:05 PM
paulkeith
Junior User
Originally Posted by '88 E-350
No clue why the turbo went. I'm just looking to help keep you from possibly undergoing a big un-needed repair. So no answer on the gauge drop speed? That would pretty much tell the tale.

Normally when you start an engine the pressure rises increasingly faster towards the peak pressure and should take a second or two. When you turn it off it should do the same towards 0. If your pressure dropped at about the same rate that it rose it means that there's a restriction in the gauge. If it rises slowly at start up and drops quickly at shut down then there's a pump or engine problem.
truck is all pulled apart so i can't run it to get the gauge drop speed recorded.

Originally Posted by Dan V
that's the plan. and yeah, might trash the new melling - but i'd rather risk $100 to potentially save pulling the motor.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:44 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Hey Dan, won't this damage the new LPOP? I thought I had heard both have to be babybutt smooth? If not, good for this guy cuz pulling the motor is not gonna be fun, even though it's not that difficult.
The scratch is from a piece of material that was harder than the aluminum diecasting, and I'll bet if you look at the side of the gerotor parts that contacted it, there won't be a scratch on them. (Or a very light and very shallow one.)

You had a piece of debris that made it through the oil pickup screen. Is there more debris of that size in the pan? Good question.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:33 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by BBslider001
The scratch in the cover won't damage the new pump. For one it's an indentation, not a raised surface, and it's much softer than the pump. The only issue with that scratch is that it could allow for a small loss of flow/pressure since it won't seal as well, but I can't imagine it would be a measurable loss.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:41 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
truck is all pulled apart so i can't run it to get the gauge drop speed recorded.
I get it, I was hoping you remembered what it did. If you pull the hose off the gauge and look into it you might get the answer. Most of them just use a little pressed in piece with a tiny hole, if you don't see that then it's probably not a restricted gauge, but it could have something further in where you don't see it. It doesn't much matter now, but if you get the same slow rise when the engine's back together do verify that it's not just the gauge or hose causing it. Hoping for you that that's all it was, I have high hopes that it is and your problem will be solved. Don't drop the new pump

Old 09-07-2018, 02:35 PM
paulkeith
Junior User
back together with a melling and fresh rotella

driving, EOT=200F, some boost #s from the new (oem) turbo too:

Old 09-07-2018, 11:32 PM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Looks like the gauge lead you to replace the pump for no reason.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:11 PM
paulkeith
Junior User
or the pump alone didn't fix the problem

still think a turbo failure at 70k has a cause - but at this point i'll just run it and see what happens.

appreciate everyone's help.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:24 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Stupid question did you replace the oil filter? And what brand was or is on right now?

Quick Reply: how fast should lube oil pressure rise? - lpop concerns after turbo failure