Stripping Paint on Fiberglass Bed - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Stripping Paint on Fiberglass Bed

Old 08-25-2018, 10:05 AM
Cougar54
Elder User
Cougar54 has a good reputation on FTE.Cougar54 has a good reputation on FTE.
Stripping Paint on Fiberglass Bed

I am doing a complete repaint including the bed on my black 2000 Lightning. I had the steel inner section stripped with glass beads. The fiberglass outer though left too rough a surface so I decided to strip it chemically using KemStrip Aircraft Fiberglass stripper. It is not removing anything. Is the outer part of the bed painted or is the black color underneath the top coat a gelcoat? Do I even need to remove it? I am hoping someone has done this before and can steer me in the right direction.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:07 AM
Cougar54
Elder User
Cougar54 has a good reputation on FTE.Cougar54 has a good reputation on FTE.
OK, I am answering some of my own questions. It is not the gelcoat that I am having issues with. Apparently, KemStrip Fiberglass stripper doesn't work well on urethane enamels. It is not touching the outer clearcoat/basecoat paint or the OEM paint that is underneath. Is anyone aware of a good stripper for fiberglass that will cut urethane paint?

Old 08-25-2018, 01:15 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
A quick Google search turned this up. https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Paint...uto-Fiberglass

Stewart

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.