1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How offten do you balance, rotate and align?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 07:35 AM
RigCity
Laughing Gas
Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
How offten do you balance, rotate and align?

I rotate every oil change at 5k, balance every 10k and get an alignment x2 a year. Currently at 40k on my 325/65/18 duratracs with plenty of life left on these primarily Florida run snow tires. Some people have told me they will wear faster with the heat but I think they are the best 35 inch tire for my setup. Thinking of getting the balance done at 5k instead of 10 but idk if that’s necessary and there are ZERO buckzooka rounds remaining for the centramatics in advance lol. What are your service intervals for your tires?

Old 08-25-2018, 08:31 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Rotate when I think they need it after wearing.

Balance, has been when they are rotated, but will probably never balance again once I get Centramatic rings.

Alignment, once right after I bought the truck 4.5 years ago. If I notice the alignment out, I will have it redone.

About 30K miles on a set of Cooper ST MAXX and they have 40-60% life left.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:55 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
My Cooper ST MAXX's are still squirrely after a couple of thousand miles. They do well in the grass but I won't go that route again.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:20 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
My Cooper ST MAXX's are still squirrely after a couple of thousand miles. They do well in the grass but I won't go that route again.
I think it took about 4K miles for mine to become solid feeling. The grooves and teeth are quite tall. Now, they are rock solid, but I do remember the feeling of "what is wrong with the truck" right after mounting the ST MAXX tires. Frankly, I am leaning toward trying the Toyo M-55's with Centramatic rings after the ST MAXX has had its day.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:07 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Since I do have a plow now I'm considering going with Blizzacks on the nose this fall. While he Coopers have a nice, deep aggressive tread, which does do well in grass I don't think that they have the right combination of rubber compounds, tread and siping for the snow. I found them slipping a bit last winter when I don't think they should have been.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:20 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Since I do have a plow now I'm considering going with Blizzacks on the nose this fall. While he Coopers have a nice, deep aggressive tread, which does do well in grass I don't think that they have the right combination of rubber compounds, tread and siping for the snow. I found them slipping a bit last winter when I don't think they should have been.
Mark, I would stay away from the Blizzacks, they have a reputation of go to tire because most tire shops push that tire over every other one. However, Blizzaks are made of two separate compounds the outer one is very sticky and makes for an exceptional snow tire however once you get through that first compound the second one is marginal at best. You’ll see a lot of Blizzacks on craigslist with1/2 tread and people telling you they still have plenty of life left, that’s because it reach the second layer and they don’t do as well on the road and the people know it.
I have first-hand experience with both Hancooks IPIKE, Michelin latitude-X-ICE and Dunlop Winter Maxx. The Hancook’s have a little bigger voids for snow, and do very well on ice. The Michelin‘s are tighter tread design and really shine on heavy ice and also do surprisingly well on snow too. Both of these tires maintain their traction properties throughout the life of the tire. The Dunlop’s came on wheels I bought for my Subaru. I had never run these tires and on the surface seemed geared towards ice with very small voids, I wasn’t impressed. However, after running them for 2 seasons they have surprised the hell out of me! On slick ice they hook up as soon as The Subaru’s AWD kicks in, absolutely no Squirrley behavior. I’ve tried to get the car stuck in deep snow and the claw right through it. I would definitely consider them again for the Subaru.

Regarding the OP’S question. Honestly I never balanced the tires enough. Now that I have the Centramatic balancers hopefully that is taken care of for the life of the tires. I typically rotate with every oil change.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:32 PM
viperman86
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the biggest influence is tire PSI. assuming your tires are correctly aligned and rotated. Keep the correct PSI and you will be golden

Old 08-26-2018, 05:20 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Every 10,000 miles I always purchase the "Lifetime Alignment", whenever I add to the stable. Tires Plus/Firestone include lifetime balance/rotation with a set-of-four purchase. The only vehicle I do my own LOF is the 7.3 all others go to the dealer while under warranty and then to Tires Plus after warranty.

We generally keep our vehicles at least 8-12 years or 200,000 miles (excluding the Excursion).

Old 08-27-2018, 12:12 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Rotate/balance every 5K-ish.

Alignment when I replace tie rod(s) between the knuckles or it starts to feel off (usually something I hit off-roading) but nothing regular.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:22 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
1) Balance for a vibration.

2) Rotate when I change a pair of tires (used to be every 2 years). I might need to revisit that, though, since that schedule should shift out to approximately every 4-5 years with my currently reduced driving distances.

3) I'll align when I get new tires or have to do suspension work (unless something goes wonky on me).

4) I fill with nitrogen and very rarely ever have to make a pressure adjustment (I also have free nitrogen top-offs at my tire supplier).

5) I watch the dusting "footprint" on the tread of each tire at every fill-up (once monthly), and I'll adjust my level of above actions if I see something odd taking place with one or more tires.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:05 PM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
I used to use Dynabeads on my last truck (F150 with 22" wheels) I keep seeing the centrimatic balancers getting mentioned, they're not cheap but are they as good as they claim? Is there a "best" as in cheapest place to source them?

Old 08-27-2018, 06:05 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelheadrob
I used to use Dynabeads on my last truck (F150 with 22" wheels) I keep seeing the centrimatic balancers getting mentioned, they're not cheap but are they as good as they claim? Is there a "best" as in cheapest place to source them?
Short answer-YES!
Long answer, Quality is rarely cheap, I’ve been running them on my Jeep with 35’s MT’s for 7 years. I’ve never balanced the tires and experience zero vibrations and smooth, even wear. It was my experience with my Jeep that convinced me to put them on my Dually. My experience with my truck has been 100% positive. I would buy them again in a heartbeat! The part numbers are in my original thread if decide to go that direction. IMO, buy them directly from Centramatic so you get the real thing.

EDIT- here’s the link:https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...installed.html

Old 09-01-2018, 10:12 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Rotate at 5k oil change and never balance because I use beads on my 37s and 40s

Balancing is old school but iif I had to do I would do it every 5k .

Old 09-02-2018, 12:44 PM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado350

Short answer-YES!
Long answer, Quality is rarely cheap, I’ve been running them on my Jeep with 35’s MT’s for 7 years. I’ve never balanced the tires and experience zero vibrations and smooth, even wear. It was my experience with my Jeep that convinced me to put them on my Dually. My experience with my truck has been 100% positive. I would buy them again in a heartbeat! The part numbers are in my original thread if decide to go that direction. IMO, buy them directly from Centramatic so you get the real thing.

EDIT- here’s the link:https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...installed.html
Thanks, I've just read the whole thread & I'm sold! That's what I love about this forum, so many ways to spend my hard earned cash! Thanks to you guys I'll never be rich but I'll have one of the best, safest, most reliable 7.3's around!

Old 09-02-2018, 02:31 PM
RigCity
Laughing Gas
Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
Great shovel wait till the thread I’m starting now