6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

New (to me) 6.7l

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 10:27 PM
Khill3253
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New (to me) 6.7l

Hi guys, i just recently bought a late 2011 F250 Lariat with about 55k on it from a dealer. My first diesel, but definitely not new to working on vehicles. Did my homework, got a carfax, oasis on it is good and up to date. Ive had it about a month now and it gets used to haul a 4 horse aluminium gooseneck with a living quarters on it about 2-3 times every couple of weeks to the old lady's rodeos and i daily it to work. About the last two times ive went on longer trips hauling(100 miles+) it throws the P0402 code, which is excessive egr flow. I plan on deleting but want to know more about the code but cant seem to find anything online and wont have the cash for the delete for about another month or so. Ive put about 3500 miles on it and my regens are at about 4-500 miles, which sounds about right.

Also was wondering about you guys experience with the mini maxx. Im looking for a basic tuner, not worried about custom tunes or anything like that and i like the features of it, but is it still worth getting seeing there is no support even though i just plan on using it for the delete programs and the basic tunes? I will be throwing a XDP flow through egr delete (Already ordered) on it and probably a downpipe back 5" exhaust from either flo-pro, diamond eye or mbrp. Do the mufflers make that big of a difference or should i just go with a straight pipe? Also im in michigan, so im not worried about emissions regs.

Sorry for the long winded questions.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:45 PM
mxer0022
Cargo Master

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
If you're gonna tune go with custom tunes. If you're gonna tune the engine you're gonna wanna tune the transmission as well. You can get an SCT X4 with custom tunes for $550. Do not recommend canned tunes.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:27 AM
cappa
Senior User
What he said. The only real problems with deleting is if you don't do your homework and run Crappy tunes, and that can cause big issues. I would go sct with tyrant tunes myself as I have never really heard anything bad about them over the years. I am running spartan however and don't really have any complaints thou either, but I went with them cause I liked their tuner/monitor all in one with the ndash and shift on the fly tuning, but it is a much more expensive option. On the 11-14's you have to be careful running high boost on the sst turbo, but most of the big name tuners have this figured out by now. My one request is don't go with a local shop that says they can delete and tune your truck cause they've done 10 locals or so, then come on here and bitch about how deleting messed your truck up, please do your research and go with a big name tuner that has tuned thousands of these trucks. Quality tunes and you will absolutely love that thing deleted, I could never go back.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:43 AM
Khill3253
New User
Thanks for the replies. I was looking at the sct x4 and I don't like the fact that you can't delete the dpf unless you have a custom tune. I cannot for the life of me find it with tyrant tunes for less 8 and I get varying feedback on if it is just one power setting or a tune with four power settings. I can get a deal on a new mini maxx and an MCC code. I talked to tyrant and they said they can throw tunes on it for around $250. So I'm thinking that is the route I may go. As for taking it to a shop, I'm not going to do that. I can do the work myself. Just the actual tuner part is where I'm a noob. But I like to research before I jump into things. Thanks fellas.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:21 PM
cappa
Senior User
The tuning part is easy. You have the right idea thou. But a sctx4 then buy the tunes online. Super easy to put them on the sct. Tuning is the most important item for a delete setup so don't cheap out. Custom tunes are an absolute must. Make sure you have a charger on your batteries before trying to flash it as low voltage can cause issues such as a locked up ecu. Tune the truck prior to removing anything, then unplug a sensor on the dpf, fire it up and make sure it runs with no codes, do not drive it like this thou. You want to make sure there are no tuning issues prior to ripping that crap off so you aren't without a truck if there is issues with the tune, you cannot run with the dpf removed back on the stock tune. It's easy to do yourself thou, just make sure you soak the egr to exhaust manifold bolts for a couple weeks prior to attempting to remove them with your favorite penetrate, I use kroil myself, if you are removing that piece. I would also just run blocker plates as you achieve the same results with way less labor. I soaked mine every time I would shut the truck off so the kroil would creep into the threads as it cooled. Good luck