Motorcraft PM-22 User Alert - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Motorcraft PM-22 User Alert

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 08-20-2018, 09:14 AM
mtnguy
Senior User
mtnguy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mtnguy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

1st off, this is not a discussion on fuel additives and whether they are needed or not.

I regularly add Motorcraft PM-22 to my fuel during fill-ups. I also wipe the filler tube with a paper towel after filling up, and glad I did after adding the PM-22 after 1 fill up. While wiping the filler tube, I saw the seal from the cap stuck in the filler tube. It apparently stuck to the bottle before I dumped the additive and was laying in the filler tube. I am not sure what would have happened if the cap went into the tank unnoticed, but I would rather not find out.

This could also probably happen when adding PM-23 during the winter.

Just a word of warning to those that use the Motorcraft additives.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:26 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
There are a few threads out there of guys having fuel related problems that turned out to be the seal in the fuel tank. Because of these threads I've been very careful when opening my fuel treatment bottles.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:22 PM
The Bone
Elder User
The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.
I put my cetane in a empty sta-bul bottle. Its easier to measure that way. I have not had a issue with the paper cap thing because I do this.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:14 PM
my_crib_too
Posting Guru
my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.
You have to be very careful and aware when using pm22 in small or medium size. Lots of new people here and this is a great reminder.

Bruce

Old 08-20-2018, 11:35 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
This week I started using small bottles for my fuel treatment. I use PM-22a and Better Diesel Fuel Burn Catalyst. By putting them in pre-measured individual bottles it did two things:
1. Greatly decreased the time it takes me to fuel up. Dump one bottle of pre-measured PM-22a, then dump the pre-measured bottle of FBC. Piece of cake. No measuring, no mess. Very fast.
2. Removed the worry about the lid disk.

In one bottle I have 7 oz of PM-22a which I use when filling the tank when it's close to empty. I have a second bottle with 4 oz in it for when I do a fill when the gauge is just below half. Then I have a third bottle with 2 oz of FBC in it. I considered mixing the PM-22a with the FBC so it's just one bottle to dump in, but decided to keep them separate since the ratios are different.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:34 AM
MPawelek
Senior User
MPawelek is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would think that a teeny spot of grease between the seal and cap would keep everything in place.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:16 AM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
I reuse my Stanadyne bottles that I fill from the half gallons. Long ago, I removed the cardboard seals. I store 1/2 a dozen of them in the bed of my truck prefilled. Lids are on tight, but they can leak a little bit, but not enough to worry about. I keep them stood up in the storage box.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:17 AM
Chuck-B
Elder User
Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
This week I started using small bottles for my fuel treatment. I use PM-22a and Better Diesel Fuel Burn Catalyst. By putting them in pre-measured individual bottles it did two things:
1. Greatly decreased the time it takes me to fuel up. Dump one bottle of pre-measured PM-22a, then dump the pre-measured bottle of FBC. Piece of cake. No measuring, no mess. Very fast.
2. Removed the worry about the lid disk.

In one bottle I have 7 oz of PM-22a which I use when filling the tank when it's close to empty. I have a second bottle with 4 oz in it for when I do a fill when the gauge is just below half. Then I have a third bottle with 2 oz of FBC in it. I considered mixing the PM-22a with the FBC so it's just one bottle to dump in, but decided to keep them separate since the ratios are different.
I do exactly the same thing. I have 3 premeasured bottles sitting in the little storage compartment in the driver's side back door. I buy gallon jugs of PM-22a and fill the little bottles. I don't think I'll ever get used to running my truck until the "low fuel" light comes on.

Old 08-24-2018, 04:02 PM
Deuce40s
Elder User
Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.
Where are y'all getting these little bottles? I just bought my first 20oz bottle and used the rectangular measuring cup that comes with weed killer to get the right amount in the tank. That's not gonna happen again.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:03 AM
my_crib_too
Posting Guru
my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.
I use 4 oz per tank and measure using the marks on the side of the plastic bottle. Even when filling a half tank, 4 oz are used.

Bruce

Old 08-25-2018, 08:34 AM
Painted Horse
Posting Guru
Painted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant future
I use the Opti-Lube Summer Cetane Boost and it came in a gallon jug. Each squirt is 1 oz
When I fill up I just wait till I get home ( always fill up pretty close to home anyway) and pump in the right amount.
If I'm traveling farther from home, I carry the 8 oz clear bottle I got from Opti-Lube years ago and dump in the amount I think I need. But it's never as accurate as the pump.
And using the pump there is no chance of any lids falling into the tank

I've also been adding some Better Burn Diesel Fuel Catalyst additive this past month. With their 16 oz bottle, You squeeze 1 oz up into the top and pour it in. With a 48 gallon fuel tank, I usually have to add 2 oz. of the BBDFC

I'm not terrible consistent about making sure I add the additives every tank. But I use it most tanks.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:42 AM
Chuck-B
Elder User
Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just Google 4oz Glass Bottles - here's some on Amazon -
Amazon Amazon

Old 08-27-2018, 08:47 AM
Deuce40s
Elder User
Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Chuck-B View Post
Just Google 4oz Glass Bottles - here's some on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/slp/4-oz-glas...ydtcmv4tcfw5nc
I saw those but I thought they might jingle in the door pocket.

I just stuck the whole 20oz bottle in there and I'll use the gradations on the side.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:23 PM
Chuck-B
Elder User
Originally Posted by Deuce40s View Post
I saw those but I thought they might jingle in the door pocket.

I just stuck the whole 20oz bottle in there and I'll use the gradations on the side.
They do, I wrapped a piece of bubble wrap around each one. 3 bottles with bubble wrap fit perfectly in the lower deal in the left rear door panel. In CT they still allow us to have the little deal in the pump so you don't have to stand there squeezing the handle for the fuel to come out. So while fuel is pumping into the tank I mess with the little bottles - gives me something to do.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:40 PM
dirthawg
Elder User
dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Chuck-B View Post
I buy gallon jugs of PM-22a and fill the little bottles.
You must be getting a good deal on those gallon jugs. I get my 20oz bottles from Amazon and they are currently cheaper per oz than the gallon jug.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: