Odd oil leak(s) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Odd oil leak(s)

Old 08-20-2018, 02:42 AM
DieselPatriot
New User
DieselPatriot is starting off with a positive reputation.
Odd oil leak(s)

Hi all,

I just started noticing oil dripping down from my oil filter fitting right above the filter. It's not a lot, but it is enough to worry me. Yes I made sure to lubricate the o-ring before I put the new Motocraft filter on and yes the old o-ring was removed before I put the new one on. Just wondering if anyone has ever had this problem. Also, I noticed an oil leak on the south side of my oil reservoir underneath. Then proceeds to drip onto exhaust. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:37 AM
Olds64
Elder User
Olds64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Your oil cooler may have developed a leak. This could drip down onto the oil filter. You can install new gaskets and seals in the oil cooler but it isn't an easy task.

Is the other leak at the back of your oil pan? This could be a rear main seal or it could be oil dripping down from leaky heads.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:27 PM
DieselPatriot
New User
DieselPatriot is starting off with a positive reputation.
It doesn't look like it starts from above the filter far though. I can see where the oil comes from. I figured it must need to be tightened a little more or something along those lines. The other leak is at the back of the pan. I'm thinking it might be a rear main seal problem.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:17 PM
genscripter
Postmaster
genscripter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.