Sponsored by:

After market stereo

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 09:00 AM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After market stereo

I bought an after market stereo, and i want to retain the existing steering wheel controls. I searched and searched but didn't come up with anything good/useful, so if someone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. Also do i need to buy a harness of some sort It's been a while since i bought a stereo.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:27 AM
dethpulse
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jay,

I don't know if it is too late but I just purchased this stereo unit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/99-05-Ford-...97.m4902.l9144

Its AMAZING. The seller (wanaco100 on eBay) is an Excursion owner and he put together a FANTASTIC plug and play package. Took me about 20 minutes to install and the steering wheel controls all work (and are programmable). Quality is beyond any other Android car unit I have seen and I am very happy. I was going to post a "how to" based on my install for folks to show where I put the GPS antenna, the bluetooth mic and the wifi antenna and how easy the install is but I haven't had time yet.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:11 AM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
I ordered this model

Pioneer AVH-1300NEX Multimedia DVD Receiver with 6.2" WVGA Display/Apple CarPlay/Built-in Bluetooth/SiriusXM-Ready/AppRadio Mode +

Amazon Amazon

specifically for Apple car play. That’s the only feature that is selling my on replacing my factory radio. I don’t really care for the other stuff.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:47 AM
dethpulse
Senior User
Yeah, the only thing I didn't get that I wanted with the Android was SiriusXM but I got an in car cell phone wifi adapter (I'm on Tmobile so I got Tmobile's but other carriers have them too):

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/syncup

Works AMAZING. Now I use the SiriusXM android app and wifi.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:21 PM
Flyboy1100
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Fantastic radio, had one since it was released

the Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel adapter should work with manual programming I think?? that can be plugged into the back, thats what i used on my Subaru for the same radio.

Originally Posted by JaySVX
I ordered this model

Pioneer AVH-1300NEX Multimedia DVD Receiver with 6.2" WVGA Display/Apple CarPlay/Built-in Bluetooth/SiriusXM-Ready/AppRadio Mode +

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073BNFTV7

specifically for Apple car play. That’s the only feature that is selling my on replacing my factory radio. I don’t really care for the other stuff.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:35 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Received 497 Likes on 147 Posts
wanaco100 on eBay is a really nice guy and has a setup that will fit right in. He started by replacing his own radio and has since turned it into a side job of selling it to other Excursion owners. I went my own direction with a different Android unit but wanaco and I did share info that in the end helped us both.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...installed.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-install.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...9&postcount=63
2004 Excursion

Old 08-19-2018, 08:14 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
You guys are killing me with that eBay unit. I looked at those awhile back and was really impressed with the seller....but never bought one. Glad to see good reviews....would be glad to see installs, etc..

Old 08-19-2018, 10:25 PM
dethpulse
Senior User
Truck is in the shop for the next few days Matt but I'll try to make a good post with pix etc when I get her back. Its a REALLY great unit for sure.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:31 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Received 497 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt M, PA
You guys are killing me with that eBay unit. I looked at those awhile back and was really impressed with the seller....but never bought one. Glad to see good reviews....would be glad to see installs, etc..
He's a nice guy, but I see his links on the eBay page are not working. Write to him here:
https://contact.ebay.com/ebaymotors/...sted=wanaco100
Tell him you are from the Ford Trucks Forum and ask him what you want, he will answer. He and I worked on the rear console control issue but it is reliant on the original Ford Radio. Up to the 2004 EX does not need a steering wheel control adapter. Starting in 2005 Ford changed the system (CanBus) and an adapter is required for that.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:49 PM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
I appreciate the input, but I don't have an android device, and don't want an android radio. I am after an apple play radio because I have an apple branded phone. I'd like to retain steering wheel controls but would like to avoid the $80 Axxiss system if possible. I was wondering if there were any alternative options.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:27 AM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
Received 296 Likes on 233 Posts
Old 08-20-2018, 10:05 AM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for the info. the cheapest adapters I saw were $80-90, and I figured that just isn't worth it. However then I found this one:
Amazon Amazon
for $45 and free same day shipping, so I figured why not. Backup camera and harness arriving today as well, radio got here yesterday. I'll take pictures, hopefully it'll go smoothly.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:36 AM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Sorry to derail your thread, JaySVX...

I would be glad for any info on that unit from eBay. I did have a few emails back and forth with the eBay seller awhile ago and he was very helpful.

I was driving the Ex the other day, using my phone as GPS and it was a PITA. I'd also be glad to hook up the current BU camera that displays in the rear view mirror to a larger screen.

I suppose one concern is the fit of this unit. It looks good, but I wonder if the faceplate of this newer unit will cause rubbing, etc on the dash. (I refinished mine and don't want to have to do that again....)

Old 08-20-2018, 11:26 AM
dethpulse
Senior User
The ebay unit link I posted fits like a glove in my '03 7.3 Limited dash.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:51 AM
Flyboy1100
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Thats the one i suggested, i did some digging and othrs have got it to work via manual programming, which is pretty easy as i had to manual program about 1/2 the buttons on my subaru. I wish my Ex had steering wheel controls

Originally Posted by JaySVX
Thanks for the info. the cheapest adapters I saw were $80-90, and I figured that just isn't worth it. However then I found this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1 for $45 and free same day shipping, so I figured why not. Backup camera and harness arriving today as well, radio got here yesterday. I'll take pictures, hopefully it'll go smoothly.

Quick Reply: After market stereo