Disc brakes needed? Pics...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 08:15 AM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ordered a kit for my fifth wheel. Got it from stopyourtrailer.com

Going to install it myself this weekend. Looking forward to the increase in stopping power

Old 10-04-2018, 07:06 AM
7591250sd
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
What function to the magnets do?

Old 10-04-2018, 03:40 PM
ForeverFixing
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 7591250sd
What function to the magnets do?
A good explanation of shoe brake systems on RV's.
https://www.hitchweb.com/blog/post/2...ic-brakes-work

Old 10-31-2018, 06:46 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009kr
I had the installer recommended by Performance Trailer Braking, "A A Mobile Services" install my brake kit. They made the three hour drive and installed the brakes at my house. From arrival to test drive only took four hours. They said that they have installed almost 600 of these kits, so they were very efficient. I'll post a review with pictures after my next trip. On the test drive, I could easily lock the brakes with my controller on 7, something I could never do even at 10 with my old brakes.
Now that I have towed several times, I wanted to share my thoughts.
With the gain set to 7 and "effort" set to medium (high was grabby), my rig stops just like the trailer isn't there. I stoped for a yellow light that I could never have stopped at with my OEM drums. The rig was always very relaxing to drive, and now it is relaxing to stop. If I ever get another big trailer with electric drums, disc brakes will be the first upgrade on the list.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:01 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Now that I have towed several times, I wanted to share my thoughts.
With the gain set to 7 and "effort" set to medium (high was grabby), my rig stops just like the trailer isn't there. I stoped for a yellow light that I could never have stopped at with my OEM drums. The rig was always very relaxing to drive, and now it is relaxing to stop. If I ever get another big trailer with electric drums, disc brakes will be the first upgrade on the list.
Like you I will never be without them agian. In the last month we have pulled in a lot of rain and the one thing I have noticed at lighter braking you do not get the same smooth braking affect but if you have to stop hard they are still there. I think it's because unlike your truck brakes with backing plates that protect the rotors from the elements the ones on the trailer arent covered.
Denny

Old 11-02-2018, 08:27 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rvpuller
Like you I will never be without them agian. In the last month we have pulled in a lot of rain and the one thing I have noticed at lighter braking you do not get the same smooth braking affect but if you have to stop hard they are still there. I think it's because unlike your truck brakes with backing plates that protect the rotors from the elements the ones on the trailer arent covered.
Denny
Have you tried adjusting the brake effort setting (and changed the brake type to EOH)? Mine are smooth in the rain and dry.

The rotors on our trucks are soaking wet in the rain with or without backing plates.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:55 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,672 Likes on 2,742 Posts
This thread came to mind as I was towing my trailer on I-25 yesterday. I had to stop really quick due to some knucklehead thinking he really needed to be in front of me. As near as I can tell, one of the trailer brakes locked up, which it's never done before on dry pavement. The entire braking result seems less than ideal, like the truck is doing more than it should.

At the very least I need to figure out a way to balance the brake force for all four wheels. Beyond that, disk brakes would be nice.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:35 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the brake effort setting (and changed the brake type to EOH)? Mine are smooth in the rain and dry.

The rotors on our trucks are soaking wet in the rain with or without backing plates.
I'm not saying they are bad just just a little bit less than dry. I had to make a fast stop in the rain and it stopped fine in fact it locked them up along with antilocks going off on the truck.
Denny