2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Extended Warranty. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 01:59 PM
midapo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Warranty. Worth it?

I just recently purchased a 2016 Expedition Limited. It was a rental vehicle and has 54000 miles on it. Looks and runs great!

I checked with a Ford dealer and I can get a extended warranty. Premium Warranty 5-60,000 cost 2920. 5-75,000 cost 3290. Power train only 5-75,000 cost 2130.

These are Ford warranties and the mileage is added on to my current mileage. Is it worth it?

Old 08-18-2018, 07:56 AM
tacoduck
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought a similar truck. 17 Expedition EL limited. Truck was a rental as well. The 3.5 ecoboost pretty darn reliable... I plan on running my truck without warranty... That said, if a extended warranty makes you feel better, go for it.

PS-its interesting to me how many of these Expeditions were used as rental trucks. When I was shopping, every one I saw was a former rental.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:21 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Warranties, or any insurance product, are about risk shifting.

So the question you have to ask yourself is how risk adverse are you? Are you willing to accept the risk and expense if something goes wrong or do you prefer to shift that risk and cost to someone else?

Be happy even if you buy the warranty and never file a single claim. You are buying insurance, not a lotto ticket.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:09 PM
midapo
Senior User
Originally Posted by jschira
Warranties, or any insurance product, are about risk shifting.

So the question you have to ask yourself is how risk adverse are you? Are you willing to accept the risk and expense if something goes wrong or do you prefer to shift that risk and cost to someone else?

Be happy even if you buy the warranty and never file a single claim. You are buying insurance, not a lotto ticket.
True words. In days past, I would never even consider buying a warranty. I've done most my own work on my vehicles. But I'm not sure there is much I can do on this one.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:37 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I've never run into anyone who was upset that they didn't make out great on their life insurance policy

That said, I have bought probably 6 extended warranties over the past 20 years and made out really well on ~3 of them (enough claims to pay for all 6 warranties), broke even on another, and lost money on 2. There is a bit of a lottery aspect to warranties, but if you have one major failure, it can run up 2-3 grand really quickly. I needed a new radio in my '16 Dodge Grand Caravan (the Nav went bonkers) and it was covered under the regular factory warranty, but the dealer said it would have cost me $2000 to replace out of pocket.

I paid $2500 ("list" price $3600) for a LIFETIME warranty on the Grand Caravan (total coverage, $100 deductible) because I don't believe in the longevity of Chrysler products these days... I don't think any other mfr sells lifetime these days. I could see an Expy having larger engine and drivetrain expenses than the minivan...

And yes, when I was looking at used Expeditions, most were former rental vehicles...and every used XLT had been a rental.

Good luck,
George

Old 08-21-2018, 01:29 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,292 Posts
"Made money" on Ford Extended warranties. No return on Toyota. I just hit 10,000 on my '17 so it's too soon to tell, although I did get free flat repair.

You have a "Rental Fleet Refugee". Have you ever heard the term "Beaten like a rented mule"?.

Buy a warranty. Shop around and make a deal, as they are negotiable. But buy it.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:52 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
You have a "Rental Fleet Refugee". Have you ever heard the term "Beaten like a rented mule"?.
When I travelled for business, I used to rent cars once a month. I did not drive them any differently than I did my own cars except that I did not park waaaaaay out in left field to avoid door dings.

It was nice to be able to park less than 100 yards away from the front door of the hotel.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:58 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,292 Posts
That's because you are a decent human being. Treatment is a great unknown. Thus the "Buy it" recommendation.

Old 08-21-2018, 04:18 PM
midapo
Senior User
"Made money" on Ford Extended warranties. No return on Toyota. I just hit 10,000 on my '17 so it's too soon to tell, although I did get free flat repair.

Buy a warranty. Shop around and make a deal, as they are negotiable. But buy it.
And that is exactly the big unknown for me. Was it really taken care of? Who knows. The dealer told me an engine replacement on the Ecco boost is close to ten thousand. Of course it is unlikely to have a complete engine failure and he wanted to sell me a warranty, but I imagine just one of the turbos is outrageous. He said they had some engines go out, but mostly on oil field vehicles. I know you can buy directly from ford. I think I will check that out.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:27 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
That's because you are a decent human being. Treatment is a great unknown. Thus the "Buy it" recommendation.
^^^^^This is a mouth full right here.

Treatment on an ecoboost isn't about how hard it was run but abut how well or frequently it was serviced. Ford says to follow the OLM and change the oil every 10K miles or as per the OLM. I call BS on that one and I dump mine every 5K miles. A bit of overkill perhaps but I have a job one ecoboost that was built in Jan 2011 with 86K miles, no foreign noises, no oil consumption, nothing but a smooth running machine.

I have to wonder how often the fleets change their oil.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:58 AM
tacoduck
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Expedition spent its first to years of life as a rental. Im curious what type of service interval the rental companies use.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:33 PM
midapo
Senior User
So I have some interesting info that I would like some input on. I did some comparison shopping:

All of this is for a 5yr 75000 mile premium warranty with 100 deductible.

Ford Dealership - 3290 This was my first quote
Ford Direct - 3940 I had to call them as their online quote system would not work
Zeigler Ford - 2390 Online quote followed by a phone call. Sell the genuine ford warranties in bulk, thus much cheaper.

These warranties do require an inspection by a dealership. Probably around 100.

That is a crazy range of prices!

Old 08-23-2018, 12:44 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,060 Likes on 4,160 Posts
Your selling dealer was represented by a commissioned sales person who would get paid a %age of the profit...thus the high price. The dealer on line is being paid on volume...thus the lower price. Just make sure they are selling you a genuine Ford Extended Service Plan...not an aftermarket. Just a technical thing...they are selling you an Extended Service Plan...warranties are always free...there is case law to back that up. Check out a few other on-line sources...such as Flood Ford in RI before pulling the trigger.

Old 08-23-2018, 02:09 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You are doing well to comparison shop...as I said above, my selling dealer actually beat my lowest online quote by $100 on my Dodge minivan when I showed them the printout. If they had not been willing to do this I would have bought from the online seller.

BUT one thing you should confirm is how the mileage is calculated. You say the mileage and years are "in addition to" your Expy's current mileage, but I have never known of a warranty that works that way. Maybe for a car out of the 3/36 period you can buy such coverage on used vehicles.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples in terms of deductibles and level of coverage (I assume you are pricing "Premium Care" which is the most comprehensive).

Good luck,
George

Old 08-23-2018, 02:37 PM
Sheldon522
New User
I Just bout a used 4x4 EL, it was 2017 with 34k miles on it. I went ahead and got the bumper to bumper for 100,000 miles and 96 months.

I just wasnt sure how the person treated it for the first 34k miles and just wanted alittle extra insurance.

My wifes I bought with 30 miles on it and I tend to take care of my vehicles so I passed on the dealer warranty. But I did sign up for the a warranty through my insurance. it is like 10 a month and has a 250 deductible. It is through Geico and I think it is only available if you buy the vehicle new.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty. Worth it?