2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Extended Warranty. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 04:43 PM
midapo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
You are doing well to comparison shop...as I said above, my selling dealer actually beat my lowest online quote by $100 on my Dodge minivan when I showed them the printout. If they had not been willing to do this I would have bought from the online seller.

BUT one thing you should confirm is how the mileage is calculated. You say the mileage and years are "in addition to" your Expy's current mileage, but I have never known of a warranty that works that way. Maybe for a car out of the 3/36 period you can buy such coverage on used vehicles.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples in terms of deductibles and level of coverage (I assume you are pricing "Premium Care" which is the most comprehensive).

Good luck,
George
So I went back and verified how the esp is calculated, and it is added to my current mileage. I showed my quote to my dealer and he came down to 2599 with no inspection. That takes me to a hundred dollars of the online quote, plus there is no danger of having to repair anything out of pocket found by the inspection. I am leaning toward going with the dealer.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:39 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by midapo
So I went back and verified how the esp is calculated, and it is added to my current mileage. I showed my quote to my dealer and he came down to 2599 with no inspection. That takes me to a hundred dollars of the online quote, plus there is no danger of having to repair anything out of pocket found by the inspection. I am leaning toward going with the dealer.
Especially if you are going to use that dealer for service and warranty work, it's definitely a good deal to spend an extra $100 for the goodwill. I'd do it in a minute because if there is ever a repair where the dealer has to go to bat with you against Ford, you want them in your corner. I have had a couple warranty repairs where the mfr pushed back and the dealer fought for me and got it done...

The add-on approach has to be with a used vehicle beyond 3/36....I have always bought extended warranties on new cars or off-lease cars that were under 3/36.

Good luck,
George

Old 10-22-2018, 12:49 PM
Forresth
Mountain Pass
if you can afford to play the game, the extended warranty isn't worth it. They wouldn't sell them if they didn't make money on them.

That said; I won't make payments on a vehicle not covered by warranty, but that's a personal thing. I couldn't stand not being able to swing a repair because I was paying a note.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:02 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,086 Likes on 4,177 Posts
^^^ Not necessarily the case...the manufacturer offers them as a "Customer Satisfaction" thing...the last I heard Ford paid out 95%+ of premiums earned on claims. Now...the dealer is a different story as you can see by reading the previous posts. They will mark them up as much as they can get away with...the Business Manager gets paid a %age of the profit. You can also see that you can save a lot of $$$ by shopping around...often times your local dealer is willing to come very close to the Inter-web price to keep their numbers up.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:10 AM
turbancowboy
New User
I recently purchased a Ford Expedition, 2017 with 56xxx. It was an Enterprise suv and I bought it from their car sales location. I was looking at extended warranties, and have never used Ford. I have however used Mopar MaxCare and never had any issues with covering any of the items on my 2014 Lincoln MKZ or my previous car a 2012 BMW Active Hybrid M7.

Quotes 5 year/75k mi:
Ford Premium Care - $2390

Mopar Added Care Plus - 2380

What have your experiences been with Ford and their warranty service? Do you recommend it? Which covers more or better parts? Im curious because Mopars Maxcare is about $3300, but Ford's Premium care is $2390

Old 02-27-2019, 11:15 AM
BIGKEN
Received 7,086 Likes on 4,177 Posts
Ford Extended Service Plans...they're not warranties...are amongst the best in the business. If you haven't done so...do yourself a favor and get some quotes from on line purveyors. One that I'm familiar with is Flood Ford in RI...very competitive pricing...great service. Just GOOGLE "Ford ESP" and you will have many options.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:15 PM
Forresth
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by turbancowboy
I recently purchased a Ford Expedition, 2017 with 56xxx. It was an Enterprise suv and I bought it from their car sales location. I was looking at extended warranties, and have never used Ford. I have however used Mopar MaxCare and never had any issues with covering any of the items on my 2014 Lincoln MKZ or my previous car a 2012 BMW Active Hybrid M7.

Quotes 5 year/75k mi:
Ford Premium Care - $2390

Mopar Added Care Plus - 2380

What have your experiences been with Ford and their warranty service? Do you recommend it? Which covers more or better parts? Im curious because Mopars Maxcare is about $3300, but Ford's Premium care is $2390
one possible explanation of why the Ford plan is cheaper is that they have better long term reliability. the other could be the dealer is marking the Chrysler plan more.
If it hasn't been mentioned before; you can shop around. you don't have to buy the added protection from the same place you got the vehicle.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:35 AM
Sheldon522
New User
I bought the ESP on the used expedition I bought. It had 32k miles on it so it was almost out of warranty. I paid about 500-800 over the online quote from Ziegler but I didnt want to bother going through the trouble of refunding and rebuying.

Used it this week. Only thing I didnt like was they only give 30$ a day for a rental. And I had to pay up front for the rental and they are going to reimburse me. It has 100 deductible. But they only charged me 60$.

But I bought the exp from a dealer downtown and saved 3k instead of my local dealer which gives out free loaners for owners.

My other 17 exp I bought brand new and I signed up for geico extended warranty which I guess is only available if you buy the car new.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:47 PM
Going_Going_Gone
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This is only the second time I've bought an extended service plan. The first was on my 2003 6.0 diesel and the only thing engine related that ever happened after the factory warranty expired (CAC tube blew off) wasn't covered. However with all of the electronics on our new Expedition, I felt it would be worth it for peace of mind for 8 years as it probably wouldn't take more than an electric step replacement to almost pay for it. Also I know that the moon roof can cause trouble sooner or later as they pretty much all do. I know I can buy the parts and fix it myself, but I have aged out of that 'game.' If this were a more basic vehicle, I probably would not have spent the money. I did buy mine online from Flood Ford and at that time there was no sales tax on Internet purchases from out-of-state businesses which I'm finding out more and more no longer seems to be the case.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:45 AM
johnpvb
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's another online site for Ford ESP: https://www.lombardfordwarrantys.com/pricing.cfm

Just picked up a 2019 Exp MAX and am considering getting an ESP since I buy new and hold my cars a long time and would be worried about any of the new electronics going out, or the twin-turbo engine or 10-speed tranny having issues. Would think any problem will be super huge $$$ to repair.