1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Went to upgrade my CAI to an S&B and discovered this....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 08:31 AM
L-ight
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Went to upgrade my CAI to an S&B and discovered this....

I hope this isn't bad? I can't tell if that is stained or fluid.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:40 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,439 Likes on 2,839 Posts
Looks like oil from the CCV, which is normal. That is unless you have the CCV re-routed, then you may have an issue.

Based on the look of the tube going to the turbo though, you appear to still have the CCV routed into the intake.

Also, from that angle the wheel looks to be in good shape.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:46 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I agree with Sous. Looks normal. No worries.

I'd be curious to know if you can remove your power steering reservoir cap after you install the S&B. I don't know if that's normal or I'm the exception (S&B won't tell me).

Old 08-17-2018, 10:26 AM
L-ight
More Turbo
Phew!! That is good news to hear. Truck has never been modded except for custom stereo and headlights. No performance/motor work. I also replaced my EBP sensor and metal tube as it was clogged/bad the same time I did my cai install. Before the install I was getting 15.7mpg average. I am hoping to see it go up at least by 1mpg.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:28 AM
L-ight
More Turbo
Originally Posted by brian42
I agree with Sous. Looks normal. No worries.

I'd be curious to know if you can remove your power steering reservoir cap after you install the S&B. I don't know if that's normal or I'm the exception (S&B won't tell me).
I have yet to try it, but from the SB youtube video it is a bit of a process. Little tight, but still doable.

Towards the end of the video is the PS part.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:40 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
"Little tight" is an understatement. Not a lot of slop in tolerances if you have to pull up on the intake tube to literally pop that lid out then back in. Unfortunately mine's a little tighter than that and I can't get the cap off unless I remove the plexiglass cover and disconnect the intake tube at the horn (on the VC bracket). S&B customer service has been great and has sent me two different replacements (each a slightly different design as they've had 3 or so since they've released this kit) but no bueno on any of them. Still have the cap problem. Also, two of those tubes don't line up well and I cannot put the plexiglass cover on with the tube correctly installed.

I can also put a funnel in there just like them (long skinny plastic one) to fill it but it takes a flashlight and inspection mirror to check the level.

I also have two rags to wedge my battery in place as it slides around even with the clamp tightened.

Don't get me wrong, it works great. It just sucks to do anything with it or around it when you have to go under the hood.

Originally Posted by L-ight
Before the install I was getting 15.7mpg average. I am hoping to see it go up at least by 1mpg.
More air in = more fuel used

Old 08-17-2018, 10:58 AM
L-ight
More Turbo
"Little tight" is an understatement. Not a lot of slop in tolerances if you have to pull up on the intake tube to literally pop that lid out then back in. Unfortunately mine's a little tighter than that and I can't get the cap off unless I remove the plexiglass cover and disconnect the intake tube at the horn (on the VC bracket). S&B customer service has been great and has sent me two different replacements (each a slightly different design as they've had 3 or so since they've released this kit) but no bueno on any of them. Still have the cap problem. Also, two of those tubes don't line up well and I cannot put the plexiglass cover on with the tube correctly installed.

I can also put a funnel in there just like them (long skinny plastic one) to fill it but it takes a flashlight and inspection mirror to check the level.

I also have two rags to wedge my battery in place as it slides around even with the clamp tightened.

Don't get me wrong, it works great. It just sucks to do anything with it or around it when you have to go under the hood.

More air in = more fuel used
Yea I am expecting it to be a bit of a hassle to check ps fluid. I will tackle that when it comes. Well I am hoping that changing out the ebp tube and sensor will show some increase as I have read up on it that it does.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:08 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,439 Likes on 2,839 Posts
I did see an increase in MPG when I changed the EBP sensor and cleaned the tube. I want to say it was almost 1 MPG, but cannot remember for sure. The truck did run smoother though, so that was good.

Off topic - I went with the 6637 filter since the Borg Warner SX-E is not a screamer like the GTP38R or the KC366R. I also bought a pre-filter cover from RiffRaff in black so the filter is not so "IN YOUR FACE" when the hood is up. The S&B was at the top of my list, but I didn't want to deal with the hassles I have read about and figured the BW would do well with the 6637.

Post up some pictures of the intake!

Old 08-17-2018, 11:37 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Yea I am expecting it to be a bit of a hassle to check ps fluid. I will tackle that when it comes.
I have a PS leak that forces me to check the level more than most. Hopefully the Blue Top steering gear I just got in the mail will solve that problem when I install it. I will say that there's ablsolutely no rust anywhere near the steering gear.

Well I am hoping that changing out the ebp tube and sensor will show some increase as I have read up on it that it does.
I saw an improvement like Sous did when I replaced both of mine. My tube wasn't broken but it was p-l-u-g-g-e-d up.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:11 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
Here are the pics as requested... Not the cleanest. Need to clean the engine bay soon though.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:29 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Your engine bay looks cleaner than mine, plus you still have the Powerstroke dressing cover bracket.

Thanks for the pics. Definitely a tight fit like mine but your tube/filter seem to line up better than mine. My filter is slightly pointed up to make a flush seat on the intake coupler.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:44 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
Yea def a tight fit for that cap. I had to adjust the filter a little bit. Stuck up some but it went down when I put the see through cover on.,

Old 08-20-2018, 06:17 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine seems to come out just fine if you angle it.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:21 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by beef ****
Mine seems to come out, no problem.
Thanks for the info.

I guess I'm the exception. Figures.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:32 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Just a heads up, someone posted a citrus cleaner from a dollar tree on here not to far back. Went to same store and they had Purple power for five bucks a gallon.

I'm restoring an old boat that was heavily coated in the engine comp. Sprayed that stuff on and hosed it off. Wow. JS

They sell it at the local Dollar General as well. Very impressed after using the high end products.

I'll be doing my 7.3 and do pics of hands off spraying.

Denny

Quick Reply: Went to upgrade my CAI to an S&B and discovered this....