1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Missfire on cyl 4 - now on 3 & 7, no power

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 02:16 PM
Bratwurst
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missfire on cyl 4 - now on 3 & 7, no power

Hello guys, newbie here, and I hope someone is able to help with my engine problem.

97' Expi 4x4, 4.6L with the 2 ignition coils at the front of the engine

It all started with the check engine light and the engine not running smoothly, no power. Diagnosis was misfire on cylinder 4, I then purchased a new ignition coil for the left cylinder bank.

I then took it in and they checked all the cables, cleaned the fuel delivery system, carburetor, all injectors, cleaned and flushed the tank and fuel lines, replaced fuel pump strainer and installed a new fuel filter.

After this was all done, suddenly there is a misfire on cylinders 3 and 7 (!), so on both banks and there is even less power. It is a really choppy ride to say the least. Cables look all good and tightly attached.

Any help is really appreciated and I thank you guys in advance!

Old 08-17-2018, 09:07 AM
Spaznaut
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd pull those spark plugs before anything else and check them. With that flushing of the fuel system may have stirred up some gunk into those injectors after the fact.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:09 AM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Bratwurst
After this was all done, suddenly there is a misfire on cylinders 3 and 7 (!), so on both banks and there is even less power. It is a really choppy ride to say the least. Cables look all good and tightly attached.
Any trouble codes when scanning it?

Old 09-01-2018, 03:08 PM
Bratwurst
New User
Hello again,

it has been an eventful 2 weeks - we have taken everything apart again and checked wires and the (new) spark plugs again. The engine was running fine and the shaking stopped. No more misfire error codes.

During the test drive, a new error code showed up, P0118, which indicates ECT (or CHT) sensor input too high. The ECT sensor has now been replaced, but the light is still showing up and comes with the same error every time.

I have now found out, that the CHT sensor sends data to the PCM, and if the input is too high, the PCM might shut down a few cylinders in order to prevent overheating. The engine was running fine but started playing up slightly again yesterday. It has been dry the week before and we had some heavy rain yesterday, I am wondering if this could be related.

I'm having trouble sourcing a CHT sensor quickly here and we will check the wiring in the next few days. In light of this new error code, would there be something else we could check?

Thanks as always - getting there!

Old 09-05-2018, 11:24 AM
Bratwurst
New User
Any advice, guys? Problem still persistent, startup is awful but runs fine when the weather is dry. Engine light is still on with same error.Thank you

Old 09-06-2018, 09:53 AM
alloro
What was the end result with the CHT sensor, did you replace it and check the wiring?

Old 09-07-2018, 09:12 AM
Bratwurst
New User
Originally Posted by alloro
What was the end result with the CHT sensor, did you replace it and check the wiring?
not yet, it's difficult to get a replacement part in this country atm. Is there any way to test it's function?

Old 09-07-2018, 09:48 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by Bratwurst
Is there any way to test it's function?
Read this: https://www.searchautoparts.com/moto...ure-cht-sensor

Old 09-07-2018, 10:01 AM
Bratwurst
New User
Originally Posted by alloro
thank you! Will feed back with our findings next week.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:29 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I see you're from the Philippines. When ordering parts, you can check www.rockauto.com or www.tascaparts.com , that's where I get my parts for my 2005 Expedition. I even have a used known good CHT sensor, but it's for the 2005 and I think that's different from the 1997.

Anyway, you can save a lot by using rockauto or tasca parts, the cost of Ford parts here in the Philippines is way too high.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:18 AM
Bratwurst
New User
Originally Posted by Skauber
I see you're from the Philippines. When ordering parts, you can check www.rockauto.com or www.tascaparts.com , that's where I get my parts for my 2005 Expedition. I even have a used known good CHT sensor, but it's for the 2005 and I think that's different from the 1997.

Anyway, you can save a lot by using rockauto or tasca parts, the cost of Ford parts here in the Philippines is way too high.
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I already checked on import options from the US, the parts there are a dime a dozen compared to here. Do you know anything about the import procedures here?

Also, if your 2005 is a 4.6, the sensor might fit? Let me know so I can do a little search on that.

Thank you!

Old 09-11-2018, 02:46 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
2005 Expedition didn't have a 4.6, that was the first year of the 3v 5.4 engine, which was the only engine option from that year and going forwards.

As far as import procedure, it's quite simple. You order it from rockauto or tasca, choose the applicable shipping option, I usually go with USPS which is the cheapest most of the time. It will take around 2-3 weeks, and most of the time I pay 112php in "import fee". Once in a while I have to pay duties, but it's usually around 25-30% of the total order value (including shipping). Even when paying import duties, it's half the price of the same parts at the local Ford dealer, the prices they have there are absolutely insane! I remember when I was gonna do my spark plugs, I could basically buy 8 spark plugs in the US for the price of 1 spark plug at the local dealer, lol

Old 09-11-2018, 10:35 PM
Bratwurst
New User
2005 Expedition didn't have a 4.6, that was the first year of the 3v 5.4 engine, which was the only engine option from that year and going forwards.

As far as import procedure, it's quite simple. You order it from rockauto or tasca, choose the applicable shipping option, I usually go with USPS which is the cheapest most of the time. It will take around 2-3 weeks, and most of the time I pay 112php in "import fee". Once in a while I have to pay duties, but it's usually around 25-30% of the total order value (including shipping). Even when paying import duties, it's half the price of the same parts at the local Ford dealer, the prices they have there are absolutely insane! I remember when I was gonna do my spark plugs, I could basically buy 8 spark plugs in the US for the price of 1 spark plug at the local dealer, lol
Totally agree, thanks for the info, will give it a shot next time something breaks (soon hahaha). Lazada is helpful with parts in some instances, too, I paid 600php for the ECT - Ford said 13,500php - get that!

Old 09-12-2018, 06:03 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Yep, it's worth a shot, I have to get a new 4wd front actuator hub for mine. But in general, having good maintenance and taking care of it, it's very reliable. Had mine over 4 years now, the engine was running quite bad when I got it. After fixing the problems and cleaning up the mess from previous mechanics who obviously didn't know what they were doing, it's been very reliable through the years. There haven't really been anything breaking down on it, only the 4wd hub that now doesn't disengage properly, but I can still drive it in 4x4.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:33 AM
Bratwurst
New User
Yep, it's worth a shot, I have to get a new 4wd front actuator hub for mine. But in general, having good maintenance and taking care of it, it's very reliable. Had mine over 4 years now, the engine was running quite bad when I got it. After fixing the problems and cleaning up the mess from previous mechanics who obviously didn't know what they were doing, it's been very reliable through the years. There haven't really been anything breaking down on it, only the 4wd hub that now doesn't disengage properly, but I can still drive it in 4x4.
Alright, will try it out if the CHT turns out to be faulty and I can't get one here. My '97 is ageing, to say the least