Bigger Receiver Hitch vs Weight Distribution Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 09:38 AM
SmittySD250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the proud owner of a 2003 F250 SD, 4x4, Crew Cab, V-10, 4 Spd Auto, 3.73 rear end, with a 6.5" ProComp Suspension and 35" tires. I am in the market for a Toy Hauler and wanted some advice concerning Weight Distributing Hitches. My truck is rated at 8800 GVWR and the trailer I am looking at is a 19' (23' overall) rated at 7650 GVWR. Based on the dry weight specs of the trailer, the tongue weight is about 16.7% or 1277 lbs at max GVWR. According to the owners manual I am within the Max GCWR (17K) as long as I do not overload. My current CLS IV hitch receiver is rated at 15000/1500 weight distribution and 6000/600 weight carrying.

Finally my 2 part question: Should I keep my current CLS IV hitch receiver and purchase a weight distribution hitch compatible with this configuration or can I upgrade to heavier duty hitch receiver that would not require the weight distribution hitch? What are the advantages/disadvantages to each?

I appreciate any feedback you all can provide.

Old 09-23-2003, 10:48 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep in mind I am no expert and you should check expert sources yadda yadda.

Most weight distributing hitches plug right into the 2 inch reciever that you probably already have on your class IV. Your hitch rating for weight distributing tells you already that you are rated for the weight you plan to haul and that it will work with weight distributing hitches.

A weight distributing hitch will make your truck handle and ride far far better than a regular hitch. The WD hitch redistributes the weight of the trailer off of the rear wheels of the truck and a little off of the trailer and puts some of the weight onto the front wheels of the truck, thus distributing the weight, clever name eh. What this mans is that instead of all the tongue weight being on the rear axle and most of the trailer weight on the trailer wheels, the hitch puts a good proposrtion on the front axle which probably has excess capacity just waiting to be used. This helps to keep the truck and trailer on a level instead of the rear of the truck dragging.

When the rear of your truck drags it takes weight off the front which makes steerign response go down the tubes. It also places strain in places it shouldn't be. it also places the baking load in the wrong spot. When the weight is distributed properly the truck will handle much much better, be less prone to sway, stop better and at the end of your drive you will be more relaxed and your truck will have less wear and tear.

Get a weigth distributing hitch it is well worth it and not all that expensive considering the investment you have already made. Also would be worthwhile to get an antisway bar for the hitch, makes a big difference on roads with uneven surfaces and with lots of trucks or wind.

Just my opinion based on towing 5 or 6 different trailers from 1,000 to over 8,000 with and without WD hitches and using two different trucks, Datsun 1800 and and an F250 460 4x4 E4OD 4.10 long bed supercab. You will find longer trailers with bigger trucks and WD hitches are far easier to tow than with a small truck and short trailer with just a bumper hitch.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Old 09-23-2003, 01:08 PM
SmittySD250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr. Henderson,

Appreciate your quick and thorough response.