2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Anyone regret getting a 6.2l?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 10:21 PM
SubNukeELT
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope, not one regret. Pull a 34 ft camper and it does it with ease. The 150 v8/towing just simply choked, and a diesel was just too many $$s I didn't need to spend. Would do it again in a heartbeat!

Old 08-13-2018, 10:49 PM
barry1me
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mciokiewicz
I am absolutely loving my 17 6.2 CCSB F-250 w/3.73. I used to have a 99 CCSB with the 7.3 and I loved the sound of the diesel and the torque, and loved being in a big truck rather than a little car with all the idiots on the roads. That truck's life with me came to an end after found off the road and side swiping some trees.
I then got a 29' fifth wheel and a 12 6.2 CCSB F-250 w/3.73. It pulled the camper fine from Michigan down to Cave City, KY 3 years back and then from Michigan out to Rapid City, SD last summer. The exception on that trip was the wind West of Wisconsin. In that wind I averaged mid 6 mpgs and felt it while towing.
In December I picked up my 17 SD, and then in July I got a 38 1/2 foot mid profile fifth wheel, 10,600 dry and 2,000 pin weight. Was worried about suspension and towing something that big.
This newly redesigned everything and new engine programming is nothing short of impressive. First, the truck only squats about 2-1/2 inches when hooked to the camper. Second, with the fully boxed frame, this thing is extremely stable. Moreso with this bigger camper than my old 12 and the 29' camper. Lastly, towing capability and mpgs with the new programming and lower rpm torque.
I just finished a 1400 mile trip from Southwest MI, though the UP, and back to Southwest MI through WI and around Chicago. I averaged 8.7 mpg with all of the mixed highway and freeway driving, 150 miles were without the camper attached.
I only drive 4 miles each way to work and do not to things for a living, I only tow my camper and a 20' trailer with some toys and do not need a diesel bad enough to afford one, even though I would really like one. And I completely understand that a 6.7 could blow the doors off my 6.2 while towing my fifth wheel, but my recent trip was definitely not a white knuckle nightmare with a screaming gasser drowning out the peace. I also admit that by putting the truck in manual shift mode that I had to pay more attention for if a bigger hill is coming up unlike a set it and forget it diesel.
Towed mostly in fifth gear, some sixth, a few fourth gear hills, usually around 2000 rpms while cruising. I was impressed to be honest.

​​​​
Good looking setup...im in MI also...I had wondered how the older 6.2l compared to the new 6.2l engine for low torque. What speed are you towing at ? 4.30 gears? Curious how the MPGs are not towing and do you get any bump steer on rough roads.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:19 PM
River Wild
Fleet Mechanic
Received 270 Likes on 164 Posts
No regrets at all. Love it and has all of the power I need. It pulls any grade around here as fast as I want it too. The sweet spot is 3rd gear, 3500-4500 rpm. Some say it's "Screaming", no it's making power like it's designed to.

As others have said the down side is they are thirsty. Depends on your commute however. It can get ok mpgs if you have a commtue that will let you run a little with little stop and go. My commute is a killer and I'm lucky to get 11mpg...usually it's 10. Luckily I no longer have to drive it everyday...unfortunately I don't get to drive it everyday.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:41 AM
dnewton3
Elder User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I came out of a 2006 Dmax and got into my 2018 F250 6.2L. Love the gasser engine. As much as I liked having a diesel, I cannot cost-justify the purchase price, nor maintenance costs of ownership. I like doing my own work, and the complexity of the new diesels just puts me off completely. Plus, I can pay for a LOT of gas by saving $9000 in the purchase. And routine maintenance is FAR cheaper with the gasser. I average 5k miles a year in my truck; it's not my DD and only used to pull my RV and Kubota tractor. It would take me 20+ years to "save" enough fuel to break even. By then, the truck will either be sold, wrecked, or given to a family member.

I don't regret the 6.2L one bit. Plenty of power for my occasional pulling of up to 10k pounds. And if I were going to tow more weight than that, I'd have gotten the 4.30 gears. But the 3.73s are just fine for me; no complaints at all.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:14 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,739 Likes on 1,330 Posts
I went from a Cummins (2 of them actually) to this 6.2L. The only small regret (if you call it that) is the hit in fuel mileage. But the cheaper gas and cheaper maintenance make up for it.

Paying $10k for the luxury of dealing with expensive, finnicky emissions systems, DEF, increased maintenance costs, higher fuel costs, less payload, etc....? No thanks.

Now, I haven't towed heavy with my truck yet....just 5k last weekend...but she did great!

Old 08-14-2018, 08:51 AM
PentaPop
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To be fair, I’ve seen one or two posts from guys that bought a 6.2 and were disappointed with the way it pulled their trailer so they went back and traded for a 6.7. On the flip side, I don’t recall any posts from 6.7 buyers wishing they had a 6.2.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:58 AM
mikerosane
New User
I did. I bought a 2011 6.2 new to save the diesel up charge. It was a good truck and pulled my 10k travel trailer fine. Got terrible mileage towing though and would downshift to 3rd and sometimes 2nd pulling hills and passes. Always wished I had gotten the diesel. I now have a 17 6.7 and towing is a dream. Rarely shifts out of 6th and gets better mileage. The 6.2 was a good truck but the 6.7 is a big upgrade. The power comes with the increased price though. To each their own. I averaged 13.5 mpg empty on the 6.2 and averaging 17 empty in the 6.7.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:09 AM
barry1me
Senior User
Originally Posted by mikerosane
I did. I bought a 2011 6.2 new to save the diesel up charge. It was a good truck and pulled my 10k travel trailer fine. Got terrible mileage towing though and would downshift to 3rd and sometimes 2nd pulling hills and passes. Always wished I had gotten the diesel. I now have a 17 6.7 and towing is a dream. Rarely shifts out of 6th and gets better mileage. The 6.2 was a good truck but the 6.7 is a big upgrade. The power comes with the increased price though. To each their own. I averaged 13.5 mpg empty on the 6.2 and averaging 17 empty in the 6.7.
Great info...thanks..how was the mpg towing comparing the two? Considering diesel seems to be a 10% cost premium over gas 17 on the diesel (the equivalent would be 15.3 on the diesel when you calculate the increased diesel cost). Did your 6.2l have 3.73s or 4.30s?

Old 08-14-2018, 09:09 AM
boxrbus
Freshman User
No one ever mentions the added safety benefit of the additional 700+ pounds of engine in front of you with the diesel. Or the less volatile fuel inherent with diesel. Sure it cost about $9000 more, but resale historically has been higher. And really for the private owner that has the means to purchase a $60,000+ truck, does a few hundred more dollars per year for maintenance matter that much? You buy a truck to haul or tow...considerably more horsepower and over double the torque...seriously most of us prefer the diesel!

Old 08-14-2018, 09:15 AM
barry1me
Senior User
Originally Posted by boxrbus
No one ever mentions the added safety benefit of the additional 700+ pounds of engine in front of you with the diesel. Or the less volatile fuel inherent with diesel. Sure it cost about $9000 more, but resale historically has been higher. And really for the private owner that has the means to purchase a $60,000+ truck, does a few hundred more dollars per year for maintenance matter that much? You buy a truck to haul or tow...considerably more horsepower and over double the torque...seriously most of us prefer the diesel!
no doubt this is all true...historically. But I do think that in the past gas engines resale was so low as no one had a good gas engine option. I bet in 5-10 years the gap of holding resale on diesel vs gas will not be as big as diesel has lost lots of customers to simple gas engines due to durability issues due to the emissions systems on these trucks.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:22 AM
MBuckholz
Tuned
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
No regrets here, I have 360000 miles of 7.3l and 6.0l Ford diesel experience, and I'm on my second 6. 2 truck with a total of maybe a hundred and seventy-five thousand miles. I love the simplicity, lower maintenance, yes I buy 25% more gallons of fuel, and yes the engine will turn the appropriate RPMs in order to make the power to get up whatever hill I'm pulling a trailer up. But my 6.2's in F350s have never left me stranded anywhere, unlike all three ford diesels. The only reason I would ever buy another diesel as if I was routinely towing in excess of 13000 lbs.

Last edited by MBuckholz; 08-14-2018 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Spell
Old 08-14-2018, 10:43 AM
mikerosane
New User
Originally Posted by barry1me
Great info...thanks..how was the mpg towing comparing the two? Considering diesel seems to be a 10% cost premium over gas 17 on the diesel (the equivalent would be 15.3 on the diesel when you calculate the increased diesel cost). Did your 6.2l have 3.73s or 4.30s?
The 6.2 had 3.73 gears. It would get 7-8 towing the travel trailer. The 6.7 gets 11.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:31 AM
amartz02
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am also from Michigan. I have a 10k lbs bumper pull camper and a 17 F350 6.2L with the 4:30. I've played around with the gas mileage at several different speeds. Setting the cruise on I-94 at 70 mph, I get 15 mpg, setting the cruise at 82 mph gets about 11 mpg and towing the camper at 65 mph gets about 9 mpg. I've towed from Flint up to Boyne mostly on I-75, again at 65 mph, and get about 8 mpg and then I've driven that same route with no trailer following someone going 85+ mph and gotten about 7 mpg. Most Michiganders know of the slight hills on I-75 around West Branch, and my setup while towing under cruise control pulled up that hill mostly in 5th gear and slipped down into 4th or 3rd to get back up to speed because of the lag with cruise control. Most of the trip on I-75 while towing it stays in 6th gear with the occasional drop to 5th gear, I've never found the need to lock out 6th. Very happy with the 6.2L, no regrets.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:39 AM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
My only, umm, not regret, let's call it a 'lack of enthusiasm' is about the lousy 8 mpg I get towing our fiver. With my 1/2 ton Hemi and our bumper pull, I used to get closer to 9 or 10 mpg. Now, runs I used to do in a single tank, I need to stop and fuel up with the new setup. I could have gotten better milage with a diesel, but then I would have had to leave DW and DS at home, since they got sick in every diesel we test drove.

On the other hand though, this thing is like driving a dream. In my Ram, I was always stressed when towing (yeah, I was overweight). The F250, with fiver, I can sit back, hit and cruise control and have a nice, leisurely drive.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:46 AM
barry1me
Senior User
Originally Posted by amartz02
I am also from Michigan. I have a 10k lbs bumper pull camper and a 17 F350 6.2L with the 4:30. I've played around with the gas mileage at several different speeds. Setting the cruise on I-94 at 70 mph, I get 15 mpg, setting the cruise at 82 mph gets about 11 mpg and towing the camper at 65 mph gets about 9 mpg. I've towed from Flint up to Boyne mostly on I-75, again at 65 mph, and get about 8 mpg and then I've driven that same route with no trailer following someone going 85+ mph and gotten about 7 mpg. Most Michiganders know of the slight hills on I-75 around West Branch, and my setup while towing under cruise control pulled up that hill mostly in 5th gear and slipped down into 4th or 3rd to get back up to speed because of the lag with cruise control. Most of the trip on I-75 while towing it stays in 6th gear with the occasional drop to 5th gear, I've never found the need to lock out 6th. Very happy with the 6.2L, no regrets.
Great info man...you make the same drive as me when towing. For refference Im towing a 32ft TT 7500lb range with my 16 F150 max tow 3.5l. I get around 9mpg towing at 70mph up 75. As low as 8.5 and as high as 9.5 on the computer. Hand calculated it always seems to be about .4-.5mpg less then computer. If I do 80 cruise with a dirt bike in the bed I get around 19mpg on the highway up to west branch. Im in 6th most the time (1800 rpm range) even slight climbs and bigger climbs jumps into 5th (2300 range), and biggger climbs 4( 2800 rpm range). Did you consider the 3.73s at all?

Any bump steer on your truck at all?

Quick Reply: Anyone regret getting a 6.2l?