Golf Cart in F250 Short Bed? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Golf Cart in F250 Short Bed?

Old 08-13-2018, 06:55 PM
xETERNALx
Junior User
xETERNALx is starting off with a positive reputation.
Golf Cart in F250 Short Bed?

We camp a lot with Travel Trailer. We see how nice it is for people with Golf Carts to run to the lake/beach/Store in their Golf Carts so I started looking at them online. I am just not sure what will fit. Anyone have a Golf Cart they carry in their bed? Is there a specific wheelbase on golf carts I need to look at? I have no clue about them.

I have a 2017 CC Short Bed with the 6.7

Old 08-13-2018, 08:20 PM
jbrnigan
Senior User
jbrnigan is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't think a standard course cart will fit. FWIW, I have a 2" receiver on the rear of my travel trailer, and tow my cart behind the trailer to a few selected campgrounds where carts are allowed and add convenience. Some states prohibit triple towing, check first. Also, it's almost impossible to back up the trailer with cart in tow.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:27 PM
stangtime
Junior User
stangtime is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by xETERNALx View Post
We camp a lot with Travel Trailer. We see how nice it is for people with Golf Carts to run to the lake/beach/Store in their Golf Carts so I started looking at them online. I am just not sure what will fit. Anyone have a Golf Cart they carry in their bed? Is there a specific wheelbase on golf carts I need to look at? I have no clue about them.

I have a 2017 CC Short Bed with the 6.7
The tires on my cart just barely allow me to close my tailgate on a long bed. I doubt you will be able to fit in a short bed without some creative thinking.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:09 AM
mrgrayaz
Senior User
mrgrayaz is starting off with a positive reputation.
F-250 with the 6.7? Regardless of physical size you likely won't have the payload. Golf carts are surprisingly heavy!!

Old 08-14-2018, 06:43 AM
xETERNALx
Junior User
Originally Posted by jbrnigan View Post
I don't think a standard course cart will fit. FWIW, I have a 2" receiver on the rear of my travel trailer, and tow my cart behind the trailer to a few selected campgrounds where carts are allowed and add convenience. Some states prohibit triple towing, check first. Also, it's almost impossible to back up the trailer with cart in tow.
I saw someone towing this way. My concern was getting myself into a position where I have to back up and then being stuck and having to disconnect. (IE pull into a gas station, store, etc)

Old 08-14-2018, 06:45 AM
xETERNALx
Junior User
Originally Posted by stangtime View Post
The tires on my cart just barely allow me to close my tailgate on a long bed. I doubt you will be able to fit in a short bed without some creative thinking.
This is my concern. I saw a short-bed GMC the other day. It was sitting REALLY high in the bed. I saw him unload it, and it was sitting on blocks in the bed so the rear seat area was over his tailgate. But I do not know if it would work in mine.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:47 AM
xETERNALx
Junior User
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
F-250 with the 6.7? Regardless of physical size you likely won't have the payload. Golf carts are surprisingly heavy!!
This is something I need to look into. Unless they are over 1,100 LBS I would be alright. I tow a light travel trailer.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:14 AM
7591250sd
Senior User
7591250sd is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a buddy who puts his ATV in back of his new GMC3500, the ramp angle is very steep, I doubt a golf cart would have enough power to make that climb, a winch would be needed.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:21 AM
jbrnigan
Senior User
jbrnigan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by xETERNALx View Post
I saw someone towing this way. My concern was getting myself into a position where I have to back up and then being stuck and having to disconnect. (IE pull into a gas station, store, etc)
Yep, that's a valid concern. You have to be very aware of entry's and exits, fuel, groceries and parking. But, in 10 plus years of towing my cart behind my TT, only ONCE have I had to disconnect the cart to maneuver my "rig", not difficult, but a PIA. Also, towing the cart eliminates any concerns about exceeding GVW. (no additional weight in truck) Towing behind a TT is not for everyone, but would work well for what you (and I) want our carts for, in some camping areas.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:33 AM
BK39
Junior User
BK39 is starting off with a positive reputation.
FWIW: A friend of mine does it with his GMC short bed. Golf cart back tires sit on tailgate, uses a receiver extension for the trailer. His travel trailer is pretty small (22' or 24'). I'm not sure of all the weight ratings or if it's even a good idea. But I know he's been doing it for a few years now.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:56 AM
xETERNALx
Junior User
I will look into the tow behind option.

For ramps, I have seen plenty of long beds with carts, so it must be ok. A winch would be fine by me. I have a handheld that I could use, would just need an anchor point in the front of the bed (near the cab).

Old 08-14-2018, 09:30 AM
Kaadk
Junior User
Kaadk is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't own one, but I've been reading about these Cricket collapsable golf carts. Supposedly it only weighs like 300 lbs and folds down pretty small. I've been contemplating one if I can figure out a way to carry it on the fifth wheel. 300 lbs is still too heavy for the current rack.

Here's what I can find with a google search on them:
https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/...20BROCHURE.pdf

Old 08-14-2018, 09:40 AM
moynihan1129
Junior User
moynihan1129 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have been thinking about these too. This guy buys these from China then modifies them slightly.

Kangacruz - Mini Golf Carts

Old 08-14-2018, 10:24 AM
cecilt
Elder User
cecilt is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 2017 F350 CC, SB with 6.7 and put my golf cart in the bed. It is a 2013 EZGO, 6" lift, 14" rims with a backseat and platform for backseat passengers. Typical golf cart you see in Ocean Lakes. The 2013 or around that time increased the length of the front springs by 2" . After buying it from Grahams in Myrtle Beach I knew that it was going to be too long to comfortably fit. They had no problem putting on the shorter front spring pack that came on the older EZGO's. I put 2x8 boards in the bed that are long enough for me to just get my rear wheels on to raise the back up a little more. I can not close my tailgate all the way but get to about a 30 degree angle. I ratchet the tailgate as much as possible. I don't use an extender hitch as my TT is 36' long and 9500 lbs. No issues at all. Been towing a golf cart for 7 years and previous truck was a 2009 F250 CC, SB.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:40 AM
rcorkum4
Junior User
rcorkum4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
In a word "Payload". Take your rig and TT to a scale and have them weighed (include wife, dog, camping gear etc.). Look at the specs for your truck and calculate the available payload. Given that tongue weight subtracts from payload, I'm willing to bet that you're going to be bumping up against max payload without the golf cart.

Even with triple towing you may be up against GCWR maximum.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.