Extended fuel tank solutions for portable generator

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 05:14 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Extended fuel tank solutions for portable generator

What are you all using in the way of an extended fuel tank for a portable generator?

Is it gravity fed or does it get pumped or pulled into the generator somehow?

We are looking at a small portable generator like the Yamaha 2000, Honda 2000 or Westinghouse 2500. Although, with a fuel capacity of 1 gallon, we would not want to leave it unattended very long. Looking at extended run time fuel tanks in the 3 and 6 gallon capacity. Some say gravity fill to the generator, others say there is a tube that goes to the bottom of the extended tank, but no mention of how the fuel transfers.

I am also considering a propane fuel kit for the generator, but there are not a lot of options for the smaller suitcase style generators that I am happy with.

Thanks for your input.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:29 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
There are special fuel caps available for the Honda 2000s that maintain the tank seal which will draw fuel from a marine portable tank as the gennies burn it, those marine tanks draw from the bottom so it's a pretty slick setup that will allow for long run times with a 6 gallon marine tank. I have getting all the needed parts (really just the new genny fuel caps) together for our Honda 2000s for our infrequent boondocking stays on my to-do list.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:41 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
Those Honda 2000 generators will go for hours on a full tank of fuel, especially if you run it in the ECO mode. How long were you wanting to run for?

Old 08-14-2018, 05:58 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 902 Likes on 327 Posts
I bought an extended run kit for my champion 3100 watt inverter generator from this dealer.

Pinellas power products

They also sell for Honda and Yamaha generators too. The difference is that I'm pretty sure that Yamaha and Honda generators all have vacuum operated fuel pumps standard from factoryf where the champion does not, and are gravity feed by default. That's why you see fuel cap add one for Honda's, but not champion. Their kit requires a bit of work, but the instructions are straight forward. I have an external 6 gallon Marine tank, connected by an 8' hose, so I can run continuously without shutdown to refill.

Here is kit for Honda 2000i

Honda 2000 external

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-14-2018, 07:19 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
There are special fuel caps available for the Honda 2000s that maintain the tank seal which will draw fuel from a marine portable tank as the gennies burn it, those marine tanks draw from the bottom so it's a pretty slick setup that will allow for long run times with a 6 gallon marine tank.
Thanks, I did not know this.

Originally Posted by HRTKD
Those Honda 2000 generators will go for hours on a full tank of fuel, especially if you run it in the ECO mode. How long were you wanting to run for?
ECO mode is nothing more than a glorified low idle. As soon as you put a load on the generator, that idle is gone until the load is removed.

We are going to a wedding next summer and will be dry camping for 2-3 months on the way there and at the wedding location. I would prefer to not leave the campsite to fill up a 1 gallon generator with gasoline after being used for an unknown number of hours. If I am going to lug around a 5 gallon fuel container for the generator, I may as well get a 6 gallon that feeds the generator on its own so I don't have to keep after it.

As a side note to your question which was derived from my question. Most of the suitcase generators "will go for hours". But, if they have an auxiliary fuel tank (like my truck does), then they can go fro many, many more hours. My truck has a 1500 mile range unloaded, I would like something comparable for the small generator. Full up when I want instead of when I have to which works well for the truck, and could for the generator.

Does that answer your question and concerns on why I would want a generator to run for longer than 6-9 hours without interruption?

Originally Posted by djousma
I bought an extended run kit for my champion 3100 watt inverter generator from this dealer.

Pinellas power products

They also sell for Honda and Yamaha generators too. The difference is that I'm pretty sure that Yamaha and Honda generators all have vacuum operated fuel pumps standard from factoryf where the champion does not, and are gravity feed by default. That's why you see fuel cap add one for Honda's, but not champion. Their kit requires a bit of work, but the instructions are straight forward. I have an external 6 gallon Marine tank, connected by an 8' hose, so I can run continuously without shutdown to refill.

Here is kit for Honda 2000i

Honda 2000 external
I did not know the Honda and Yamaha had a fuel pump, which makes sense about pulling fuel from the bottom of the external fuel tank. There are so many details listed for these small generators, but some of the critical ones are often left out.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:51 PM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
the small suitcase type generators like the Honda 2000 and equivalent Yamaha have a fuel pump in the carb, so they will draw through the cap that is supplied with the remote tank kits, generators like the Champion 3100 - 3500 watt inverter types are pure gravity feed. The kit from Pinellas Power Equip adds a vacuum pulse fuel pump to the fuel circuit that goes to the remote tank. Their kit works very well, I use one on my Champion 3500 watt. I don't believe that you can put a kit on the dual fuel models unless that has changed recently.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:19 AM
KevinSalyer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 6k propane generator, lasts about 4 hours on a 20lb tank, but since propane is for ever I plan on getting a large tank installed and feeding my dryer, generator and stove from the one tank.

I'm happy with mine. how ever it's important to remember that power from propane will cost you double the cost of power from diesel fuel as propane has a lot less "energy" when compared to diesel.

I've been researching (gawd I'm bored) generators and came across reviews of the Predator 4000/3500 generator. $699.00 or maybe $649.00 with their coupon.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:18 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 902 Likes on 327 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinSalyer
I have a 6k propane generator, lasts about 4 hours on a 20lb tank, but since propane is for ever I plan on getting a large tank installed and feeding my dryer, generator and stove from the one tank.

I'm happy with mine. how ever it's important to remember that power from propane will cost you double the cost of power from diesel fuel as propane has a lot less "energy" when compared to diesel.

I've been researching (gawd I'm bored) generators and came across reviews of the Predator 4000/3500 generator. $699.00 or maybe $649.00 with their coupon.
Lack of runtime with the built-in generators that run on lp is my pet peeve. By your math, that's about 12 hours on two 30# tanks? Maybe better with no ac running? My weekend tailgates for college football would be a real hassle, as we are pretty much unable to get out for 36 hours. Gens run continuously during the entire weekend, and I might burn about 11 gallons of gas.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:49 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
I run 2 Honda 2000's on a 6 gal OMC outboard tank, works fine, I only use both gens when I run the ac. I spent 7 days in Oshkosh, Wi this year, only used ac 2 days and burned 4 gal for the week.

Last year after Irma went through the 2 Honda's ran 24/7 until the power was restored.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:52 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinSalyer

Good to know! Thanks for the info. I was wondering how much fuel the propane generators would go through. I think I'll stick with the current on-board 5.5Kw Onan gasoline generator.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:12 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
I thought about a propane whole house backup gen until I did the fuel burn calc. Neighbors have them, the one that used his during Irma spent just over $600 in fuel for 7 days. I ran the 2 hondas and a 8kw Home Depot special on 40 gal of unleaded.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:21 AM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jsm180
I thought about a propane whole house backup gen until I did the fuel burn calc. Neighbors have them, the one that used his during Irma spent just over $600 in fuel for 7 days. I ran the 2 hondas and a 8kw Home Depot special on 40 gal of unleaded.
i have a whole house propane generator, but I use propane for the house too so it’s more convenient to use that than to have a gas generator and be worried about running out of gas (used a portable 12,000 watt gas generator for years for the house before switching to a propane stand by generator).

Added benefit is that when the power goes out, I don’t have to think about running out to start it up (and then have the nain power come right back on)

Old 08-15-2018, 02:06 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
We have a large whole house generator for our home that I maintain on a regular basis. Since we live in the country, if the power lines go down, we might be on our own for a while. I have that taken care of...

The 5th wheel is something that I need to have a generator for in the even we are rained in for a week or so and solar battery regeneration is not up to par. Also, if we are out boondocking (like we prefer to do) and have to leave the dogs in the trailer and the temperature is too warm, we can setup the generator with the extended run fuel tank to go for many hours without concern of it running out of fuel. We have an EasyStart for the A/C and I have just about everything on switches in the camper. So, we could leave the A/C on for the dogs, run and do what we needed to and come home to them safe and sound.

We take our dogs with us 99% of the time, but there are the odd ball trips that we would not be able to.

In addition, if we are out in the desert somewhere out west and boondocking for a week or more, an extended run fuel tank would aid in whatever uses we had for the generator.

I think I have decided on a Westinghouse iGen 2500 with a 3 gallon extended run tank and plumbing. I can up-size to a 6 gallon if needed later, but I don't anticipate that happening.

Propane was an option on the table due to carrying 2x30 lbs tanks on the trailer. I have come to realize that this is not a feasible solution for our needs.

Between the solar, 550 AMP hours in batteries and the extended run generator, we will be set. All of this is in the 28 ft Sundance that fits into even small spots.

Learning from the mistakes and experiences of others is something I prefer to do rather than learning them myself. This is why I tend to ask even the silly questions here on the FTE.

Thanks for the input and advice.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:26 PM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I would investigate the I-Gen closely, I don't know which AC you have but 2200 running watts may not be enough to run it. I just got a Champion 3500 watt inverter that gives 3200 watts running and put the Pinellas Power Prod. remote kit on it with a 6 gal. tank and could not be happier. It was more money, just over a grand, but it will run everything on my 5'r at the same time, including the 15K AC. I would have loved to buy the Hondas but looking at the quality of the champion and essentially the same noise level I could not justify the extra cost.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:44 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by jetjockey99
I would investigate the I-Gen closely, I don't know which AC you have but 2200 running watts may not be enough to run it. I just got a Champion 3500 watt inverter that gives 3200 watts running and put the Pinellas Power Prod. remote kit on it with a 6 gal. tank and could not be happier. It was more money, just over a grand, but it will run everything on my 5'r at the same time, including the 15K AC. I would have loved to buy the Hondas but looking at the quality of the champion and essentially the same noise level I could not justify the extra cost.
2200 watts running power and 2500 peak power from the iGen 2500 is enough to run a 15,000 BTU A/C if it has an EasyStart installed on it. The EasyStart was pricey at $300, but it has paid for itself already because I don't have to install a 50 AMP power panel, internal cable or 50 AMP plug on the rear of the trailer. In addition, I don't have to buy a 50 AMP utility cable either. This is our 3rd trailer, and the second one with 30 AMP service. The 50 AMP was nice, but the EasyStart negated the need for the 50 AMP service in our common uses.

The bigger generators are not what we are looking for. The smaller ones like the iGen 2500 can fit in the front storage area of the trailer next to the 550 AMP hours of batteries and I can put the 3 or 6 gallon fuel tank in the bed of the truck when traveling.

Portability, size and function were my primary points when looking. Thanks for sharing your experience with the Champion.

Quick Reply: Extended fuel tank solutions for portable generator