Anyone fit these beasts into a 7' garage opening? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Anyone fit these beasts into a 7' garage opening?

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 08-13-2018, 04:39 PM
54LFL
Senior User
54LFL is starting off with a positive reputation.

We're building a house. The builder has been completely inflexible on any garage modifications (they're not a custom builder). So, I have to try and get my F350 Platinum SRW CCSB 6.7 into a 21' deep garage, that has the standard 7' header/door opening. As many of you know...stock (it is) height is 81.3" (or 6.78')...ouch. That seems a little close for comfort (no clearance lights thankfully)...hoping maybe it would just sweep the weatherstripping, but would love some feedback if anyone has tried, or is doing it. PS: I also have the heavy duty front suspension package on it...so not sure if that adds height to the above stock specs on Ford's site...

The depth is also ridiculously close...at 21", with the truck length at 250" (or 20.83')...i've got to think the garage door hardware will prevent it from fitting. Might need to push the back wall in 6" after closing...assuming the height would even clear - otherwise, it's back to driveway living I go!

Old 08-13-2018, 05:09 PM
MPawelek
Senior User
MPawelek is starting off with a positive reputation.

My family thinks I’ve gone crazy having this added to our weekend house. I told them that I didn’t work my *** off for 45 years to park my 70k truck out in the sun. End of story!

Or my riding lawn mower....

Old 08-13-2018, 05:13 PM
ATC Crazy
Post Fiend
ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.
I can't speak for a garage, but my truck just barely fits under the 7' clearance bar in to the parking lot at the lake. It's a open parking lot (not parking garage) but they have a clearance bar to keep commercial trucks out of it.

My truck has the smaller tires. If you opted for the larger tires, you may want to have someone watch as you pull in for the first time...

Old 08-13-2018, 05:23 PM
SNOW_F350
Freshman User
SNOW_F350 has a great reputation on FTE.SNOW_F350 has a great reputation on FTE.SNOW_F350 has a great reputation on FTE.SNOW_F350 has a great reputation on FTE.SNOW_F350 has a great reputation on FTE.
Find another builder. 7' garage openings don't make sense for a normal car let alone a SD.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:52 PM
kho6658
Junior User
kho6658 is starting off with a positive reputation.

It will fit but it is tight. Not something that I would want to do every day, no room for error.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:54 PM
54LFL
Senior User
What I wouldn’t give for that! You’re not crazy at all!

Originally Posted by MPawelek View Post

My family thinks I’ve gone crazy having this added to our weekend house. I told them that I didn’t work my *** off for 45 years to park my 70k truck out in the sun. End of story!

Or my riding lawn mower....

Old 08-13-2018, 05:55 PM
jbrnigan
Senior User
jbrnigan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine fits, about 1/2" clearance between the garage door header and roof of truck. Also slope of driveway will affect clearance.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:00 PM
54LFL
Senior User
Originally Posted by SNOW_F350 View Post
Find another builder. 7' garage openings don't make sense for a normal car let alone a SD.
Ha! Every builder in FL uses a 7’ header opening. Like it or not it is standard across every builder we have been to.

But to your point, and the sales person was on my side as well and we made a push to the top… Most SUVs (extended Tahoe’s, Escalade‘s, suburbans etc.) wouldn’t fit either… So it’s not like I have some unique monstrosity Of a vehicle that is not common

Old 08-13-2018, 06:01 PM
54LFL
Senior User
Originally Posted by jbrnigan View Post
Mine fits, about 1/2" clearance between the garage door header and roof of truck. Also slope of driveway will affect clearance.
Thanks. Are you parking in there every day?

Old 08-13-2018, 06:02 PM
54LFL
Senior User
Originally Posted by kho6658 View Post

It will fit but it is tight. Not something that I would want to do every day, no room for error.
Thanks for the reply and the picture… Yeah, that’s what I’m afraid of. Even if it does fit it seems like I would have to be extremely accurate, and probably cringing every time.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:06 PM
RGPolo
Senior User
RGPolo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 54LFL View Post
We're building a house. The builder has been completely inflexible on any garage modifications (they're not a custom builder). So, I have to try and get my F350 Platinum SRW CCSB 6.7 into a 21' deep garage, that has the standard 7' header/door opening. As many of you know...stock (it is) height is 81.3" (or 6.78')...ouch. That seems a little close for comfort (no clearance lights thankfully)...hoping maybe it would just sweep the weatherstripping, but would love some feedback if anyone has tried, or is doing it. PS: I also have the heavy duty front suspension package on it...so not sure if that adds height to the above stock specs on Ford's site...

The depth is also ridiculously close...at 21", with the truck length at 250" (or 20.83')...i've got to think the garage door hardware will prevent it from fitting. Might need to push the back wall in 6" after closing...assuming the height would even clear - otherwise, it's back to driveway living I go!
I'm building a garage now for my 2019 S/D coming in September, 28'x36', 18' wide, 8' high door minimum!

Old 08-13-2018, 06:08 PM
jbrnigan
Senior User
jbrnigan is starting off with a positive reputation.

Thanks. Are you parking in there every day?
Yep, (maybe every other day, as I don't drive it every day). Power fold the mirrors in, drive in. I have a parking mat (Amazon) mounted on the floor (double sided tape), left front tire on mat, perfect positioning.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:30 PM
MPawelek
Senior User
MPawelek is starting off with a positive reputation.
What I wouldn’t give for that! You’re not crazy at all!

But now the wife is talking enclosing the garage and using the space to extend the kitchen, living room and add a bedroom! It never stops I tell ya.....

Old 08-13-2018, 06:37 PM
flanneljunkie
Senior User
flanneljunkie is starting off with a positive reputation.
7' door... snow is going to be an issue for six months out of the year. This is an f350 with snow plow prep and 6.2 v8. Clearance lights have plenty of room. The rake on these trucks are prominent. The tallest point is about 6 to 8 inches from rear of cab.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:54 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.
I would find another builder. I would never build a garage with a 7' door. I bet he wants to install a 16' wide door as well. I built a 30x40 shop garage with an 8x18' door two years ago in Citrus County, FL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.