6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DPF Filter Regen's Way To Much--Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 03:24 PM
madsal
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DPF Filter Regen's Way To Much--Help!

I have a 2016 Platinum edition 6.7L. I have a Edge CTS2 that allows me to see my DPF stats and lets me see when % full for the filter. Since I have owned this truck (about a year and a half now) the filter fills up extremely quick and I ma regening at least once a week. For example, regened on Friday (10 Aug) drove the truck a few times over the weekend for short trips to store and now Monday (13 Aug) I need to regen already. Under normal driving conditions I know it should auto regen about every 500 miles. Right now I akm showing an average regen distance of 142 miles and after todays regen I expect it to go below 100.

I have had this to the dealer countless times to no avail. They found the DPF nozzle partially clogged and cleaned it out. Re-flashed the ECU and about 2 months ago replaced the DPF filter itself. They have no idea what is causing it and since it is not throwing a code they say Fords official position is "there is nothing wrong". Despite this position the tech knows it is working correctly but cannot figure out why. I only run Exxon or Chevron diesel fuel, all servicing is done regularly (I know not related) and DEF is serviced by dealership.

Is there anyone else out there who:

1) Is experiencing the same or similar problem
2) Was able to correct this problem on their own or through the dealership

Any help is greatly appreciated. Driving this damn truck on the highway long enough to go through the regen every week (or less) is becoming a major pain in the a$@!

Old 08-13-2018, 04:08 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
What soot gpl value does yours command an active regen? If completed on the highway, how low does it burn to?

Old 08-13-2018, 04:16 PM
madsal
New User
Originally Posted by kper05
What soot gpl value does yours command an active regen? If completed on the highway, how low does it burn to?
It regens right at about 3.50 gpl. On the highway it takes about 20 miles or so to complete. It gets down to about 1.20-1.30 when finished.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:18 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Do you have the Exhaust Filter screen turned on in your IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster)? If so, how low does it show the filter percentage?

You might not like the Dealer nor Ford's reply about it being normal but according to your Diesel Supplemental Owner's Manual, it is normal. See page 31.

The regeneration process operates more efficiently when you safely operate your vehicle at least 30 mph (48 km/h) with a steady pedal for approximately 20 minutes to complete the process. The frequency and duration of regeneration will fluctuate by how you drive your vehicle, outside air temperature, and altitude. For most driving, regeneration frequency will vary from 100 - 500 miles (161 - 805 km) between occurrences and each occurrence will last from 9 - 35 minutes. You can usually reduce the duration of regeneration if you maintain a constant speed above 30 mph (48 km/h).

Old 08-13-2018, 05:42 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

3.5 gpl is interesting and nearly 1 gpl more than I've seen for older 6.7L trucks. I can't say whether that's normal for the 2016 or not though. Burning down to around 1.30 is normal. Unless you're towing heavy, hitting the 500 mile forced active regen will be rare.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:14 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
The 3.50gpl is a good number. I see from 3.45 to 3.55gpl when the regen starts on my 2015. It will climb at times to 3.65gpl when the regen is first starting.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:41 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
What is the duty cycle of the truck? Stop and go driving or hwy driving?

Hauling or towing or just commutes?

I can go well over 600 unloaded and 2 to 3K between regens when towing.

I don't do any city driving.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:20 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Just Strokin
The 3.50gpl is a good number. I see from 3.45 to 3.55gpl when the regen starts on my 2015. It will climb at times to 3.65gpl when the regen is first starting.
Interesting to know. For five years 2.55 gpl was 90% and my truck would regen around 2.65 gpl. I think my record was 2.74% or so. In 2015, a firmware update on I'll assume the ECM made 2.55 100%. This was after my primary water pump was replaced because I remember the ECT cooled differently and active regens were 0.10 gpl earlier.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:53 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by senix
What is the duty cycle of the truck? Stop and go driving or hwy driving?

Hauling or towing or just commutes?

I can go well over 600 unloaded and 2 to 3K between regens when towing.

I don't do any city driving.
Ford has the max mileage between regens set at 500 miles since the last regen completed. Not so sure you get those miles between regens unless you are tuned or something.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:32 PM
madsal
New User
Do you have the Exhaust Filter screen turned on in your IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster)? If so, how low does it show the filter percentage?

You might not like the Dealer nor Ford's reply about it being normal but according to your Diesel Supplemental Owner's Manual, it is normal. See page 31.

The regeneration process operates more efficiently when you safely operate your vehicle at least 30 mph (48 km/h) with a steady pedal for approximately 20 minutes to complete the process. The frequency and duration of regeneration will fluctuate by how you drive your vehicle, outside air temperature, and altitude. For most driving, regeneration frequency will vary from 100 - 500 miles (161 - 805 km) between occurrences and each occurrence will last from 9 - 35 minutes. You can usually reduce the duration of regeneration if you maintain a constant speed above 30 mph (48 km/h).
I do not have the Exhaust Filter Screen turned on in the IPC...how do you do that? This is the first time I've heard that. Using the CTS2, I can see most of the DPF stats and do a manual regen.

I mainly drive the truck in stop and go traffic during the week for very short durations and towing on the weekends. I have never even come close to 600 miles between regens (Senix Comment) since I've owned this truck. The diesel manual may categorize this as normal as well as the Ford; however, the master tech at the dealership says it is not. Unfortunatley, he can't find a smoking gun. My hope here is to find out based on my driving cionditions if the general consensus is this is a typical interval for DPF regen or does it seem excessive. Should I see a more frequent regens during short commutes? I had assumed I would see more regens when towing.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:33 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
I recall reading that Ford stated a regen every 100 miles is considered normal.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:33 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by madsal
I do not have the Exhaust Filter Screen turned on in the IPC...how do you do that? This is the first time I've heard that. Using the CTS2, I can see most of the DPF stats and do a manual regen.

I mainly drive the truck in stop and go traffic during the week for very short durations and towing on the weekends. I have never even come close to 600 miles between regens (Senix Comment) since I've owned this truck. The diesel manual may categorize this as normal as well as the Ford; however, the master tech at the dealership says it is not. Unfortunatley, he can't find a smoking gun. My hope here is to find out based on my driving cionditions if the general consensus is this is a typical interval for DPF regen or does it seem excessive. Should I see a more frequent regens during short commutes? I had assumed I would see more regens when towing.
The exhaust filter screen would tell you what the truck sees as computed by Ford's programming in the ECM. It does different a little from the CTS DPF status. You watch the filter level as you drive to know how quickly the filter is filling and to what level it cleans when finished. Many report the lowest level of clean is like 15% to 25%.

You can get the dealer to turn it on using this thread that I posted photos on how I used the Ford IDA to enable the screen

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...5&postcount=17

Or you can use FORScan and an OBDII adapter and do it with a laptop.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ut-dealer.html

Old 08-14-2018, 05:14 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Ford has the max mileage between regens set at 500 miles since the last regen completed. Not so sure you get those miles between regens unless you are tuned or something.
Not tuned, but I have tracked it carefully to see and for me that is accurate.

Mine appears to be unique in length of regens, around 6 miles until completion too. My DPF always goes to zero upon completion too.

I am aware of the mandatory backstop of 500 miles, been that way since the 6.4, 2008 first generation of DPF's.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:18 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by madsal

It would appear to me that you duty cycle is effecting the frequency of your regens to me.

What I see is less towing more regens. More towing, more DEF useage and less regens.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:50 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use PM22A and do get to the 500 miles on my '13. Clearly there is something else going on here. It would be interesting to see what % full the DPF is when it starts your regens. I believe you can turn that DPF % full screen on with Forscan if your dealer won't do it for you. The other confusing thing with this is "what triggers the regen pre 500 miles". Is it the DPF % full? Is there an exhaust pressure sensor after the DPF (GM has these)? Is it triggered by something else?

Quick Reply: DPF Filter Regen's Way To Much--Help!